What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New restrictions closing clubs - this could be big trouble

Thought this was worth its own thread.

New restrictions announced tonight mean the leagues club will have to close, this could mean serious problems for the club.

I hope we can hear from the club about this ASAP.

franklin2323

Immortal

New restrictions announced tonight mean the leagues club will have to close, this could mean serious problems for the club.

All depends how long it goes for really. Got plenty of assets and still will get rent from some places

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
It will be tough. After this the NRL will be re vamped. It will be leaner. All clubs in a similar boat (even those with private oweners)

In Panthers favour the apartments built recently.

Sport may have to go back to being semi professional.

TheFrog

Coach

If they went into this boots and all, it would only need to be 4-6 weeks or so.

franklin2323

Immortal
Got 3 Regional academies can scrap to save money. 2 Country comp teams can scrap.
No need for gameday staff this season or Membership team.
Hotel can stay open
Maccas etc too. So can still collect rents we will be better off than most

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I don't think we will see round 3. Getting all too hard.

Maybe a Sydney competition only (or NSW) Perhaps a Qld type cup for North. Just to keep players fitness levels up.

The old fat lady (me LOL) is warming up her voice.

OldPanther

Coach
I don't think we will see round 3. Getting all too hard.

Maybe a Sydney competition only (or NSW) Perhaps a Qld type cup for North. Just to keep players fitness levels up.

The old fat lady (me LOL) is warming up her voice.

They are still seriously considering isolating somewhere to play the comp. The government seems happy to back them so far.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Turns out we already planned to close our leagues club and did before this virus.

Of all the teams we are, as fluke, well prepared to come out the other end.

Your club will survive, but people will be laid off due to no work.

OldPanther

Coach
Turns out we already planned to close our leagues club and did before this virus.

Of all the teams we are, as fluke, well prepared to come out the other end.

Your club will survive, but people will be laid off due to no work.

Yeah we have assets so would get through like you did. Manly, Roosters, Broncos, Tigers are financially backed well enough.

murraymob

Coach
Reality
If it went longer than 4 months projected losses over 5 clubs 23 million
If season lost football projected losses 10 million
Don’t care what assets we have can any business take that loss and continue in the same business
The football arm as we know it will be a shadow junior leagues may have to go .Lower grades .There just will be no money to kick start

franklin2323

Immortal
Reality
If it went longer than 4 months projected losses over 5 clubs 23 million
If season lost football projected losses 10 million
Don’t care what assets we have can any business take that loss and continue in the same business
The football arm as we know it will be a shadow junior leagues may have to go .Lower grades .There just will be no money to kick start

Everyone is looking at getting started across the world sometime in May. You would think NRL wouldn’t be too far behind that at the latest

Black Magik

Juniors
Penrith Panthers won’t survive in their current form.

The NRL won’t survive in its current form.

My prediction is in 10 months the Perth Panthers will be announced in a 12 team NRL which is the path of least resistance, that being the Parramatta Panthers.

darkbloom

Juniors
There are a number of things written above that are incorrect. I am not oprimistic about Panthers being in a position to finds its way back. For a number of reasons.

From the above commenst:

* The Royce: Was meant to be a 50:50 joint venture but a minor issue during excavation saw Panthers share bought out by the other partner for a paltry fee. No Future Income from this. Asset gone

* The ESQ Development: the parcel of land owned by Panthers was sold for an amount that a good - great - deal for the buyer. Asset gone. Rental from the commercial components of the development were meant to be returned to Panthers, givining Panthers around $1m per year in rental revenue. This is either in jeopardy or already lost because Panthers failed to take action.

* The Hotel does not belong to Panthers, No rent there.

* The most valuable assets have already been sold.

When it comes time to re-open the doors, frevenues will be difficult to recover for the following reasons:

They just sacked the only senior manager there who knows anything about club operations, gaming or marketing.

The development at the front has caused much of the front carpark to be closed and the tiered carpark is hated by a large number of members - this alone has been causing signiifcant downturn in trade. Added to the damage that has been done to trade over the last 10 yearr and the changing demographic.

On that development. The feasibility study for it showed the returns do not justify the spend. They are continuing despite the increase in debt of about $80m.

There are a litany of things they have done over the past 10 years that have placed Panthers in a far worse position to recover fronm this crisis than many other places - and certainly all others club competitors that don;t have a footy team to support.

My guess is they will now try selling off the Port Macqaurie venue and maybe the other sites as well. They may get $30m from such a sale - I doubt it will be enough.

It was time for a reality check some time ago - I just hope it is not too late.

kinghippo

Juniors
Panthers are a big business and like all big companies have growth and resources at the top of their business model.
They all balance on the knife edge, as close to a loss as they can by using assets gains and a hundred other things to avoid paying taxes.
The problem for the Panthers is that it couldn’t have happened at a worse time, just at the end of a huge assist grab.
It is impossible to know how much “profit” they could make a year if that was the aim of the game.
I have no doubt they are going to cop a large wack financially but the brutal reality is if they want to stay afloat they can easily do it.
They may not be making a profit this year though which goes against everything business stands for.

It will be interesting to see how they play it out, they will cry poor very quickly and be demanding assistance from the government but once people start playing the pokies again regain they will regain their loss easily in tax breaks over the next few years.

Panthers are probably in a better place than the NRL itself.

darkbloom

Juniors
Panthers are a big business and like all big companies have growth and resources at the top of their business model.
They all balance on the knife edge, as close to a loss as they can by using assets gains and a hundred other things to avoid paying taxes.
The problem for the Panthers is that it couldn’t have happened at a worse time, just at the end of a huge assist grab.
It is impossible to know how much “profit” they could make a year if that was the aim of the game.
I have no doubt they are going to cop a large wack financially but the brutal reality is if they want to stay afloat they can easily do it.
They may not be making a profit this year though which goes against everything business stands for.

It will be interesting to see how they play it out, they will cry poor very quickly and be demanding assistance from the government but once people start playing the pokies again regain they will regain their loss easily in tax breaks over the next few years.

Panthers are probably in a better place than the NRL itself.
What is a "huge assist grab"? Are you talking about government funding?

In 2010 the then Chairman Don Feltis stated that Panthers was too big and his aim was to make Panthers smaller. They have successfully shrunk the assets and poured the money into football. Growth has not been a strategic aim of Panthers for since that time.

Had growth of the licensed clubs been the driver of strategy, we would have been in a much stronger position now. Even if the licensed clubs had have been rightfully identified as the "core business" we may have been mor focused on a future that was sustainable.

kinghippo

Juniors
What is a "huge assist grab"? Are you talking about government funding?

In 2010 the then Chairman Don Feltis stated that Panthers was too big and his aim was to make Panthers smaller. They have successfully shrunk the assets and poured the money into football. Growth has not been a strategic aim of Panthers for since that time.

Had growth of the licensed clubs been the driver of strategy, we would have been in a much stronger position now. Even if the licensed clubs had have been rightfully identified as the "core business" we may have been mor focused on a future that was sustainable.
The development centre was a huge asset grab, it may not be a profitable one, but that is my point.
You have expressed it very nicely, businesses especially large ones have not been “focused on a future that was sustainable”.

I am not saying they should have been hoarding money in case of a rainy day, but they have a huge amount of options compared to a lot of businesses.

ACTPanthers

Bench
So the Panthers are as good as gone. No use even visiting this forum anymore, because it's all written in stone... apparently.