What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW STAND (the 'Gong)

Saint Jack

Juniors
Hey guys. Has anyone any new info on the new Western Stand at the 'Gong ? When is work starting ? How many will it hold etc ?

Any ideas on how we get new seats organised when (if) the place is done ?

I've been told it'll be a two tier set-up - but I hope not like the Northern Stand. I don't really like the look of that - and what will they do with the boxes if the Western is identical.

I'm one who likes it the way it is. I'd like to see it completely re-furbished - sure -but left pretty much alone in layout. Aisles are good and seats comfortable. AND - you feel part of the game.

Saint Jack

Juniors
Looks good. Thanks Doug. 3 years though. I hope it does mean we can use it next season.

I guess it is time for a change ... :)

23,150 is probably a bit generous. More likely to be closer to 21,000-22,000 or so given that the club isn't selling as many tickets to the hill as they have done in the past.

There really haven't been any additional developments revealed to the public since the announcement, at least none that I'm aware of.

EDIT: Sorry, the one thing that has been in the press that I forgot is the planned schedule.

Construction to start June/July 2010.
Partially completed stand to be available for 2011.
Completed stand to be available for 2012 season.

Saint Jack

Juniors
23,150 is probably a bit generous. More likely to be closer to 21,000-22,000 or so given that the club isn't selling as many tickets to the hill as they have done in the past.

There really haven't been any additional developments revealed to the public since the announcement, at least none that I'm aware of.

EDIT: Sorry, the one thing that has been in the press that I forgot is the planned schedule.

Construction to start June/July 2010.
Partially completed stand to be available for 2011.
Completed stand to be available for 2012 season.

Yeah - just curious. I remember when it was going to have a motel and such. They stuffed our seats at KO when they upgraded (ie we had beauties) so I'm keen not to see it happen again ... :)

Western grandstand design revealed

SAM HALL
12 May, 2010 11:21 AM
Designs for a $28.9 million western grandstand redevelopment at WIN Stadium have been unveiled in Wollongong today, ahead of work starting next month.
The 6000-seat grandstand will boost WIN Stadium’s capacity to 23,000 and accommodate ticketing, catering, media and toilet facilities, two function rooms and improved access.
Demolition of the old grandstand will begin in June, with the new grandstand expected to be completed by the end of 2011.
The grandstand will provide 640 jobs during construction, and a further 81 jobs once complete. FOR MORE DETAILS SEE THURSDAY'S MERCURY

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...stern-grandstand-design-revealed/1828076.aspx

Sleep

Juniors
It really needs it. The corporate boxes there are a bit average. I like the stadium itself though and it'll look great once it's finished. Good to see things moving forward in Wollongong.

Deacon

First Grade
Cheesie, has there been any announcement made regarding the schedule for the 2011 season, ie all games at Kogarah for the season, same 50/50 split with temporary seating like Newcastle are doing currently?

Cheesie, has there been any announcement made regarding the schedule for the 2011 season, ie all games at Kogarah for the season, same 50/50 split with temporary seating like Newcastle are doing currently?

An article a few months back indicated that the plan for 2011 was that games would be played at WIN in 2011 with a partially-completed western grandstand in use. Off the top of my head I think the article suggested that the Wollongong games would be circa June-August.

So, something like what they're doing at Newcastle (or did at Newcastle before for the Andrew Johns stand). Wouldn't surpise me if the bottom tier was available for use in 2011 and the top tier in 2012.

It really needs it. The corporate boxes there are a bit average. I like the stadium itself though and it'll look great once it's finished. Good to see things moving forward in Wollongong.

I guess we'll see when the final design is around tomorrow, but the preliminary design did not include any corporate boxes, only large corporate dining areas. This is consistent with the expansion of the number and size of corporate boxes in the southern stand.

780731.jpg

First picture.

Looks substantively the same as the concept design we saw late last year.

Interesting and unique approach with the roof is the most obvious difference on first look.

Deacon

First Grade
thought it was nearly impossible to have an improved seat in the western stand given the limited space from field to the road, looks great on first impression reminds me alot of the south africa grandstands in terms of the steepness

Red Bear

Referee
Would be great if you could fill in the corners with seats, similar to alot of premier league grounds, that'd boost capacity.

Although the fun police would then determine each patron on hill must have a square metre each on the hill and capacity would drop

j0nesy

Bench
From memory one of the early proposal was to connect the stands, however this was more costly and was knocked back.

From memory one of the early proposal was to connect the stands, however this was more costly and was knocked back.

This is correct.

This design does include an elevated walkway between the middle level of the new stand and the nortern grandstand stairs.

Two tiers.

First tier is at ground level.
Then at the top of the first tier is the corporate function areas and media/coach boxes on the first level.
Then there's the third level with the second tier and the bars/toilets/kiosks for the second tier.

Saint Jack

Juniors
Thanks CtP. So - where do you reckon the Season ticket holders would go - ie where would be best. I haven't seen a real plan of the seating yet.