What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New structure for FFR XIII elite 1 and 2

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
http://www.rlef.eu.com/news/article/634/french-federation-unveils-new-championship

FRENCH FEDERATION UNVEILS NEW CHAMPIONSHIP FORMAT

21st June 2013
The French Federation’s executive committee has today announced a new format for the Elite 1 and Elite 2 Championships for season 2013-14.

Following Pia’s inability to take part next season, and Lescure, Montpellier and Realmont’s inclusion in Elite 2, the FFRXIII decided on a major overhaul of the traditional structure. The competition will be played in three phases and ultimately contested by five pools, formed following the results of the season. The season will begin with an orthodox Elite 1 division, and underneath that eight-team group Elite 2 West and Elite 2 East.

Following the completion of that first phase, placement will decide the five pools. Pool A will contain the 1st-4th placed teams in Elite 1; Pool B the 5th and 8th placed Elite 1 sides, plus the 1st East and 2nd West sides; Pool C will see teams six and seven from Elite 1 joined by the 2nd East and 1st West side; Pool D the 3rd and 5th East, and 4th and 6th West; finally Pool E is comprised of 3rd and 5th from the West and 4th and 6th from the East.

The play-offs will see the 1st and 2nd Pool A teams qualify for the semi finals, while teams three and four receive home quarter finals.

Elite 2 begins with a Magic Weekend on 28-29 September in Montpellier. Elite 1 semis will take place on 26-27 April 2014 in Toulouse’s Stade des Minimes. The Lord Derby Cup final will be on the weekend of 5-6 April. Elite 1's final will be on 10-11 May, and Elite 2's the following weekend.

Pictured: Toulouse is part of the eight-team Elite 1.

ELITE 1
Avignon, Carcassonne, Lezignan, Limoux, St Esteve-XIII Catalan, Toulouse, Villeneuve, Palau

ELITE 2 OUEST
Albi, St Gaudens, Tonneins, Toulouse XIII Broncos, Villefranche, Realmont

ELITE 2 EST
Lescure, Baho, Carpentras, Cavaillon, Lyon-Villeurbanne, Montpellier

I don't like the look of this but will wait to see how it pans out before I put the boot in.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
This looks like the Super League's 3 groups of 8 crap.

What happened to Pia?

The town is only about 10k all up in population and they have been looked after for a fair while because some people in the town have money, I don't think they are getting that support anymore for one reason or another.

bowes

Juniors
Hopefully when Toulouse join SL (probably at SL2 level in 2015 though there's a rumour they might replace Broncos next year) then they'll do it properly and take the best players out of the Elite. That would lower the standard of enough clubs to enable a bigger Elite 1 IMO especially if combined with a salary cap and overseas quota.

As it is I think they had to have the split as Palau and Villeneuve aren't capable of a full season at Elite 1 level and more than 8 clubs isn't possible at the current standards.

bowes

Juniors
The town is only about 10k all up in population and they have been looked after for a fair while because some people in the town have money, I don't think they are getting that support anymore for one reason or another.
The president at Pia got suspended though I don't know why.

Big Sam

First Grade
Have had a better look at the structure. It's basically 2 seasons rolled into one. Gives some of the lesser teams an opportunity to be French Champion but I fear the convoluted structure might confuse potential fans.

nadera78

Juniors
Essentially the problem in France is that a handful of clubs have decent budgets, but not enough for a full season comp on their own. So in order to include enough teams to make it work they then have to come up with this sort of format.

The sooner Toulouse enter SL the better. And Avignon too, although obviously a few years down the track. Then the FFR13 can concentrate on a lower level, but sustainable, comp for the remaining clubs in France.

I could say the exact same thing about the game in England too.....

The president at Pia got suspended though I don't know why.

Just did some research about this and it would seem Marc Ambert threatened to withdraw Pia from a final if a referee was appointed to the game. Rather than embarrass themselves with the game to be broadcast the French RL caved in to his wishes. After this they went after him and he has been suspended for 6 years. I read somewhere else that the local council must have been supporting the side to some effect and they have also withdrawn this funding.

Can you imagine this happening with any other code any where else in the world. Just crazy!!

Latest posts