What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New York pro rugby league team

adamkungl

Immortal
Soward wants to be coach but NY says it's interested in moving up quickly. Hayne and Burgess could be just the tip of the iceberg. Who would stop them from throwing boatloads of cash at Bellamy, Cronk and any other top echelon RL identity. The team wouldn't remain in the 2nd tier very long nor would the Yanks be satisfied with making up numbers in ESL . . . the idea is cheeky but nice

Don't need to fork out on NRL talent to get out of League 1, just need a full time squad. Championship a bit tougher.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Wonder when an announcement will be made on whether it's accepted for 2019 or 2020.. perhaps if starting in League 1 then 2019 but if Championship then 2020. Expecting to see an announcement perhaps after WC or next year? perhaps earlier.. exciting times ahead, New York, Toronto, Boston, Hamilton or Montreal on its way too!

Pommy

Coach
Wonder when an announcement will be made on whether it's accepted for 2019 or 2020.. perhaps if starting in League 1 then 2019 but if Championship then 2020. Expecting to see an announcement perhaps after WC or next year? perhaps earlier.. exciting times ahead, New York, Toronto, Boston, Hamilton or Montreal on its way too!

Why would they be able to start in the championship if they waited a year?

Golden point

Juniors
Soward wants to be coach but NY says it's interested in moving up quickly. Hayne and Burgess could be just the tip of the iceberg. Who would stop them from throwing boatloads of cash at Bellamy, Cronk and any other top echelon RL identity. The team wouldn't remain in the 2nd tier very long nor would the Yanks be satisfied with making up numbers in ESL . . . the idea is cheeky but nice
Agree with everything except cronk,

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Why would they be able to start in the championship if they waited a year?
I'm confused as to whether they are starting in League 1 or Championship as I have seen articles saying they want to start in Championship and some saying they will start at League 1 (hoping it will be 2019 as the logo suggests). Be it Championship or League 1 it's massive for the game, will be the first professional American rugby league club and a step into the American sporting landscape, maybe 5-6 more Toronto's and New York and that could be the start of a professional North American competition, can't wait to see this team on the field!

POPEYE

Coach
Don't need to fork out on NRL talent to get out of League 1, just need a full time squad. Championship a bit tougher.
Methinks the Yanks would be too impatient to 'nurture' a winning team . . . something the Roosters won't waste time on

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...m/news-story/80d30606f92d77676fb27f1317889d4c

PAUL Gallen or Billy Slater to New York?

Not if you want the club to survive.

The Saturday Telegraph can reveal David Niu, the unofficial ‘godfather’ of rugby league in America, has warned the proposed Big Apple bid team against outlaying its $1 million war chest on ageing NRL superstars.

Responsible for igniting The Greatest Game of All in the States almost 25 years ago, the former St George halfback has been invited into preliminary discussions with the group as it seeks to create a successful business plan.

And while plenty of NRL stars — and their managers — have spoken loudly about playing in New York from 2018, Niu has cautioned against it.

df94fdb2279061d382fbdeb48f3cb2eb

Gallen had expressed an interest in finishing his career in New York.
“Because bringing an NRL superstar here will be exciting for one person — the guy getting that fat cheque,’’ he said.

“Instead, I’d suggest they spend the money on robust marketing and advertising campaigns.

“No one here in the States will relate to a big name NRL player.

“It will be OK for a few diehard expats, but in terms of generating publicity I think the group should look to sign higher-profile US rugby union players.

“Americans will get behind a local hero.

“Plus, a recent Nielsen report estimated there are 40 million rugby fans in the US. You want to convert some of them, while also giving young rugby players something to aspire to.”

Instrumental in creating both the US competition and its national team, Niu has since switched sports to become a corporate heavyweight, first, with the Arena Football League and now Super Sevens Rugby, which launches in July 2018.

6d69fe5caba933aa2998c0b500944f55

Niu was a pioneer for rugby league in the USA.
But will the New York bid, which will likely start out in the English third tier, be successful?

“Look, I’m the eternal optimist,” he said.

“I love the passion surrounding this bid and really hope it works. It’s exciting.

“But time, and plenty of lumps and bumps in the sports business, both here and internationally, tell me the backers of this effort better have deep pockets.

“That, and plenty of stamina.

“Take the announcement, which got plenty of interest in Australia and England, but I haven’t seen any publicity here.

“Timing obviously played a part, with the NFL, NBA, hockey and Major League baseball Championships all going on.

“But that also tells you how competitive the landscape is. And how do you squeeze within that news cycle?”

RETURN: France chasing former glory

ONE MORE TIME: Scotland set to farewell their greatest player

The New York bid has emerged following the successful first season of Toronto Wolfpack, which is backed by Australian mining billionaire David Argyle. And while declaring they want to compete in the English Super League, there have also been whispers suggestions these teams are actually the first step toward a US professional league.

“Toronto is the fourth largest media market in North America,” Niu continued.

“So if the goal is to launch these North American teams, then in time create a separate league on this continent, that may make sense.

“And if you’re trying to make league a truly global game, why not start in New York City.”

While promising to support the bid wherever he could, Niu predicted the team would also struggle to reach its projected crowds of 10,000 at Red Bull Stadium, which is actually situated in New Jersey.

“Plus,” Niu continued, “those first couple of years you’ll be playing against Championship or League 1 teams from places like Hemel or Coventry — not exactly household names in the USA. That’s a tough sell.”

Golden point

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...m/news-story/80d30606f92d77676fb27f1317889d4c

PAUL Gallen or Billy Slater to New York?

Not if you want the club to survive.

The Saturday Telegraph can reveal David Niu, the unofficial ‘godfather’ of rugby league in America, has warned the proposed Big Apple bid team against outlaying its $1 million war chest on ageing NRL superstars.

Responsible for igniting The Greatest Game of All in the States almost 25 years ago, the former St George halfback has been invited into preliminary discussions with the group as it seeks to create a successful business plan.

And while plenty of NRL stars — and their managers — have spoken loudly about playing in New York from 2018, Niu has cautioned against it.

df94fdb2279061d382fbdeb48f3cb2eb

Gallen had expressed an interest in finishing his career in New York.
“Because bringing an NRL superstar here will be exciting for one person — the guy getting that fat cheque,’’ he said.

“Instead, I’d suggest they spend the money on robust marketing and advertising campaigns.

“No one here in the States will relate to a big name NRL player.

“It will be OK for a few diehard expats, but in terms of generating publicity I think the group should look to sign higher-profile US rugby union players.

“Plus, a recent Nielsen report estimated there are 40 million rugby fans in the US. You want to convert some of them, while also giving young rugby players something to aspire to.”

Instrumental in creating both the US competition and its national team, Niu has since switched sports to become a corporate heavyweight, first, with the Arena Football League and now Super Sevens Rugby, which launches in July 2018.

6d69fe5caba933aa2998c0b500944f55

Niu was a pioneer for rugby league in the USA.
But will the New York bid, which will likely start out in the English third tier, be successful?

“Look, I’m the eternal optimist,” he said.

“I love the passion surrounding this bid and really hope it works. It’s exciting.

“But time, and plenty of lumps and bumps in the sports business, both here and internationally, tell me the backers of this effort better have deep pockets.

“That, and plenty of stamina.

“Take the announcement, which got plenty of interest in Australia and England, but I haven’t seen any publicity here.

“Timing obviously played a part, with the NFL, NBA, hockey and Major League baseball Championships all going on.

“But that also tells you how competitive the landscape is. And how do you squeeze within that news cycle?”

RETURN: France chasing former glory

ONE MORE TIME: Scotland set to farewell their greatest player

The New York bid has emerged following the successful first season of Toronto Wolfpack, which is backed by Australian mining billionaire David Argyle. And while declaring they want to compete in the English Super League, there have also been whispers suggestions these teams are actually the first step toward a US professional league.

“Toronto is the fourth largest media market in North America,” Niu continued.

“So if the goal is to launch these North American teams, then in time create a separate league on this continent, that may make sense.

“And if you’re trying to make league a truly global game, why not start in New York City.”

While promising to support the bid wherever he could, Niu predicted the team would also struggle to reach its projected crowds of 10,000 at Red Bull Stadium, which is actually situated in New Jersey.

“Plus,” Niu continued, “those first couple of years you’ll be playing against Championship or League 1 teams from places like Hemel or Coventry — not exactly household names in the USA. That’s a tough sell.”
Hard to argue.

Big Picture

Juniors

Which "higher-profile US rugby union players" is he talking about? I couldn't name even one US RU player and chances are neither could any Usonian sports fans either; the higher-profile athletes in the US with transferable skills would all be gridiron players, none would be RU players.

Golden point

Juniors
Which "higher-profile US rugby union players" is he talking about? I couldn't name even one US RU player and chances are neither could any Usonian sports fans either; the higher-profile athletes in the US with transferable skills would all be gridiron players, none would be RU players.
Yeah I agree with you there, they should go for a few well known linebackers to generate some interest.

POPEYE

Coach
The Yanks don't play team sports that require stamina and possible supporters won't be satisfied with 'growing' RL, bling is what they like and it doesn't matter if they know who the 'big name' NRL players are. What they'll want is players who know how to play/teach the game at the highest standard . . . they don't care that Hugh Jackman and Keith Urban weren't local heroes, they only want winners

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
First off - I wouldn't listen to anything Niu has to say. Except maybe see what he says and do the opposite. Second - I don't think that New York would be looking to sign these NRL guys for name value, I'm assuming they would sign them to help them win games and gain promotion to Super League as quick as possible.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Id be keen to try a few College Footballers who dont get drafted...

The standard of the NFL is high, so even the ones who miss out would be great athletes. And maybe they dont have any ball playing skills, but give them the ball and they will hammer the line.

Pommy

Coach
Id be keen to try a few College Footballers who dont get drafted...

The standard of the NFL is high, so even the ones who miss out would be great athletes. And maybe they dont have any ball playing skills, but give them the ball and they will hammer the line.

NFL isn’t my sport and I know very little but how likely is it that these players could run for 80 mins? Or even 25 mins? From the little I have watched it seems very stop start.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

New York 2020 League 1 starting lineup:
1. Slater
2. Ryan Hall
3. Hayne
4. Israel Folau
5. Brett Morris
6. Jonathon Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Paul Gallen
9. Cameron Smith
10. Burgess
11. Sonny Bill Williams