What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

MugaB

Coach
Havn't you said previously that the clubs and the states will vote to decide? Now they dont care?
Yes this is all correct, they actually don't care as long as they get paid... Deeeerrrrrrrrrrppppp, how's about you troll that expansion Uturn thread and plead your hopeless case thru the LU ranks.... your just wasting your time pushing the perf case ahead of the other "Actual" bids

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
There is opposition against a PNG team.

Paul Murray has already spoken against it on Sky News Australia.

Who the f**k cares what Paul Murray thinks

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They need to turn the all blacks into a club side to be able to Match the wahs
What you say kind of has merit in the fact that the Warriors are basically a team representing the nation but get to do so 12 times a year at home instead of 6 and also provide national pride by beating Australian teams that we actually care about.

I hate the idea of travelling roadshow teams but honestly if it could ever work, the Warriors travelling NZ covering all major cities could pull it off.

I'm not advocating for this BTW, just saying it could work.

MugaB

Coach
What you say kind of has merit in the fact that the Warriors are basically a team representing the nation but get to do so 12 times a year at home instead of 6 and also provide national pride by beating Australian teams that we actually care about.

I hate the idea of travelling roadshow teams but honestly if it could ever work, the Warriors travelling NZ covering all major cities could pull it off.

I'm not advocating for this BTW, just saying it could work.
Imagine two teams travelling around NZ

Matiunz

Juniors
Does NZRU own the Christchurch Crusaders and Wellington Hurricanes?

If not then I would love to see them defect to the NRL. It would be the most ground shattering event since 1908.
Yes NZRU owns the NZ franchises including The Crusaders and The Hurricanes. ‘Christchurch’ Crusaders’ and ‘Wellington’ Hurricanes don’t exist all the clubs are multiple province models that don’t have a regional name before the mascot (similar to The Dolphins)

Matiunz

Juniors

If not then I would love to see them defect to the NRL. It would be the most ground shattering event since 1908.
Presuming you are serious..Just using the Hurricanes as an example why would they ‘defect’?
Currently the Franchise has 8 provincial partners to consider 3 of which are in the top division of NPC (let’s say NSW cup equivalent) to draw as feeders. Within each of those provincial partners there are dozens of club and school teams attached, a large number of those are amongst the top schoolboy Union teams in the country.
Conversely outside of Wellington which in itself has a struggling club scene the provinces have minimal clubs, and often only 1-2 teams max at those clubs. League is just not an option to play at schools in these regions also.
Just one of those Provinces (my home province for example) was a finalist in the NPC this year, has 2 strong schools regularly challenging for top nation school in Union, zero school league teams. On the club scene there are 6 league clubs with at most 3 grades- some teams only play 2-3 games a season due to defaults caused by lack of playing numbers.
Compare this to the Union club landscape which has 4 divisions of 10 clubs each with up multiple grades. This is typical of league outside of Auckland/Wellington/Canterbury.
Why would a franchise even entertain the idea give up these types of pathways and development systems as well as central funding?

Wb1234

Referee

I can see a time down the track where the nzru defects itself and brings all its teams over with it

the collapse of club rugby union is irreversible

Canard

Immortal

Tommy Chong Weed GIF by Paramount Movies

Bukowski

Juniors
Yes this is all correct, they actually don't care as long as they get paid... Deeeerrrrrrrrrrppppp, how's about you troll that expansion Uturn thread and plead your hopeless case thru the LU ranks.... your just wasting your time pushing the perf case ahead of the other "Actual" bids
You changed your tune pretty quick. LOL trolling......

Presuming you are serious..Just using the Hurricanes as an example why would they ‘defect’?
Currently the Franchise has 8 provincial partners to consider 3 of which are in the top division of NPC (let’s say NSW cup equivalent) to draw as feeders. Within each of those provincial partners there are dozens of club and school teams attached, a large number of those are amongst the top schoolboy Union teams in the country.
Conversely outside of Wellington which in itself has a struggling club scene the provinces have minimal clubs, and often only 1-2 teams max at those clubs. League is just not an option to play at schools in these regions also.
Just one of those Provinces (my home province for example) was a finalist in the NPC this year, has 2 strong schools regularly challenging for top nation school in Union, zero school league teams. On the club scene there are 6 league clubs with at most 3 grades- some teams only play 2-3 games a season due to defaults caused by lack of playing numbers.
Compare this to the Union club landscape which has 4 divisions of 10 clubs each with up multiple grades. This is typical of league outside of Auckland/Wellington/Canterbury.
Why would a franchise even entertain the idea give up these types of pathways and development systems as well as central funding?
Super Rugby is a dying competition. Businessmen bail on dying businesses. It's not impossible for the ARLC to convince the board members of the Crusaders and Hurricanes to abandon these clubs and join new RL teams in Christchurch and Wellington. Let's say the teams are called the South Island Kea and Wellington Orcas. With the ARLC annual grant being so high there's never been a better time to set up new teams in New Zealand. It would be a huge blow to the NZRU to lose key businessmen to their competitor.

I can see a time down the track where the nzru defects itself and brings all its teams over with it

the collapse of club rugby union is irreversible
The top down international model RU uses is killing the game. There's only so many times a year the national team can play. Without a strong club competition interest wanes.