What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

docbrown

Coach
The point was that there will be push back on the proposed funding of an NRL team and that's because " opposition " on either side will always oppose the other side..as is politics.
I'm not a an AFL fan but it was interesting to see that a new AFL stadium for Tasmania in AFL heartland for a new AFL team to me seemed reasonable...yet even within that state that is purely AFL heartland was met with such staunch opposition!
You can only imagine the opposition we'll face from AFL states to not only invest so heavily in the NRL but not even in our country...
If anyone thinks that this will slide right through once it's formally proposed are kidding themselves.

At this stage it's all talk, if it becomes an actual chance... it will be a storm on negative backlash like nothing you've seen.
As long as we agree that Paul Murray is a shit stain and should never be quoted.

Of course there will be pushback about PNG. Or funding for a stadium in Tasmania, Sydney or Perth. That's politics. That said, the most vocal critics against foreign aid spending can't usually point to places like Papua New Guinea on a map. They usually cry "We have to look after our own first!" Then those same assholes vote against policies to help poor Australians too. Deep down, they just don't give a shit about anyone other than themselves.

Who knows what will happen with PNG? My hunch is IF it ever gets announced - IF - then it's also announced with some kind of agreement from the PNG government saying that no foreign power can set up a military base and/or host foreign militaries etc for a very long time.

So when those naysayers start whining, the counterargument will be that the naysayers who want to tear up the agreement want a Chinese naval or air force base in PNG. Which obviously isn't true. No sane Australian wants that. But that will be the argument because that's what the NRL team is for - to buy PNG's loyalty.

i.e. If you hate the PNG NRL team then you're pro-China. Just wait and see.

Brutus

Referee
I think PNG is the favourite for the 18th licence, but there will be opposition from some sectors of the media and political landscape. Sky News Australia is anti-Labor and will run a smear campaign against all of their policies.

Why are people scared of Sky News (at night only). It's nothing compared to the rest of the TV media in Australia which skews left.

Sky News is a mere blip.

Regardless of peoples' opinions on PNG, I think most sane people can agree that:

1. Sky News can go f**k themselves.
2. Paul Murray can go f**k himself.
3. To elaborate further upon the last point, I have no proof of this, but Paul Murray looks like a guy who has tried to suck his own cock. And I don't mean like when he was an idiotic teenager, I mean in the last week.
4. Paul Murray's equally pathetic 60,000 inbred viewers can go f**k themselves.
5. Let's not pretend like Paul Murray or his views are indicative of the mood of the other 99.9% of the nation.

Now let this be the last time Paul Murray's name is mention here.
Sky News Australia is a garbage propaganda outlet that spins lies and hate, but there are people who are naive enough to believe its content. Don't be surprised if AwFuL get on the bandwagon to block Albo's proposal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh avg joe is getting a breakdown on existing png aid
you really do struggle to undertsand the point being made dont you? The media doesnt cover the current annual overseas aid to PNG, because its boring and no one really cares.
You dont think the media wil cover the Govt announcing funding of a PNG NRL team? really???

Now personally I dont think it will influence an election result but you'd have to be pretty dumb to think everyone in Australia wont know its happening.

Wb1234

Referee
you really do struggle to undertsand the point being made dont you? The media doesnt cover the current annual overseas aid to PNG, because its boring and no one really cares.
You dont think the media wil cover the Govt announcing funding of a PNG NRL team? really???

Now personally I dont think it will influence an election result but you'd have to be pretty dumb to think everyone in Australia wont know its happening.
No I don’t think they will

as you said it’s boring and a trivial amount

The point was that there will be push back on the proposed funding of an NRL team and that's because " opposition " on either side will always oppose the other side..as is politics.
I'm not a an AFL fan but it was interesting to see that a new AFL stadium for Tasmania in AFL heartland for a new AFL team to me seemed reasonable...yet even within that state that is purely AFL heartland was met with such staunch opposition!
You can only imagine the opposition we'll face from AFL states to not only invest so heavily in the NRL but not even in our country...
If anyone thinks that this will slide right through once it's formally proposed are kidding themselves.

At this stage it's all talk, if it becomes an actual chance... it will be a storm on negative backlash like nothing you've seen.
I can see Ray Hadley and other shock jocks opposing it vehemently.

Andrew Bolt and Peta Credlin will rally their audience against it. The fact they both work for News Ltd is a good indicator that Foxtel won't want a team in Port Moresby.

Wb1234

Referee
I can see Ray Hadley and other shock jocks opposing it vehemently.

Andrew Bolt and Peta Credlin will rally their audience against it. The fact they both work for News Ltd is a good indicator that Foxtel won't want a team in Port Moresby.
One word to Murdoch by pvl and they will give it positive coverage