What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Perth Red

Post Whore
So you acknowledge having the storm in the nrl has done little for the game in Victoria

and you forgot about New Zealand and png
I acknowledge the ARLC's lack of investment in grassroots in Vic along with their poor influence in fta tv covering the game there has done little to grow the game in Vic.

I didnt say it was confined to two states, I said it was stuck largely in two states. it remains niche at best everywhere else in Aus and NZ.

Matua

Bench
And sometimes they deliver like the stadium in Christchurch
No they didn't, they had an earthquake that levelled the city and the main rugby ground, and it's taken them over a decade to build a new ground. Without the earthquake the new stadium wouldn't even be on the cards.

Wb1234

Referee
I acknowledge the ARLC's lack of investment in grassroots in Vic along with their poor influence in fta tv covering the game there has done little to grow the game in Vic.

I didnt say it was confined to two states, I said it was stuck largely in two states. it remains niche at best everywhere else in Aus and NZ.
Ignoring nz png and Victoria

flippikat

Bench
No they didn't, they had an earthquake that levelled the city and the main rugby ground, and it's taken them over a decade to build a new ground. Without the earthquake the new stadium wouldn't even be on the cards.
Precisely.

Without the earthquake, Christchurch would probably be continually upgrading the existing Lancaster Park in a bit-by-bit manner akin to what we've seen at Eden Park.

It will always be niche outside of Queensland and NSW you dickhead. Most people from the fumbleball states just don't care about RL.

Wb1234

Referee
Which are you pretending - Gold Coast or Sydney
It will always be niche outside of Queensland and NSW you dickhead. Most people from the fumbleball states just don't care about RL.
Afl has spent billions in Sydney and studies show it ranks last in western Sydney participation figures

Afl has spent billions in Sydney and studies show it ranks last in western Sydney participation figures
Swans and Lions games have been broadcast into their home markets on FTA for two decades. It hasn't done much for their ratings and support.

Yet Perth Rat thinks things will be different for RL in Melbourne if all of their games are given the same treatment?

I would like to hear the old dickhead try to explain the poor participation rate for fumbleball in western Sydney. There's been a team there for over a decade. Money has been spent on marketing and junior development. It disproves his bullshit claim that more money in grassroots funding means more juniors.

Wb1234

Referee
Swans and Lions games have been broadcast into their home markets on FTA for two decades. It hasn't done much for their ratings and support.

Yet Perth Rat thinks things will be different for RL in Melbourne if all of their games are given the same treatment?

I would like to hear the old dickhead try to explain the poor participation rate for fumbleball in western Sydney. There's been a team there for over a decade. Money has been spent on marketing and junior development. It disproves his bullshit claim that more money in grassroots funding means more juniors.
Israel Folau was supposed to usher in a flood of Polynesian juniors into the afl

Perth Red

Post Whore

only ten years in, these things take decades. Its taken Storm 25 years to get 20k fans attending and doubling the participation level. These are arguably the two most difficut markets fdor each dcode to break through in.
One thing is for sure with no GWS or Storm the respective codes would be even more insignificant in those important markets.

Wb1234

Referee
only ten years in, these things take decades. Its taken Storm 25 years to get 20k fans attending and doubling the participation level. These are arguably the two most difficut markets fdor each dcode to break through in.
One thing is for sure with no GWS or Storm the respective codes would be even more insignificant in those important markets.
Yeh all those Indian and Polynesians will eventually take to afl

flippikat

Bench
Dunedin managed it without an earthquake
Ahh but the difference is that Christchurch was ALREADY on the path of upgrading stands before the earthquake struck in early 2011.

That's the lousy timing of it - Christchurch had determined to upgrade Lancaster Park with their 2011 Rugby World Cup games in mind, but having earthquakes just a few months before that tournament ruined the stadium & meant that money was basically wasted.

Without the quake there's NO WAY they would they have abandoned a facility that just had shedloads of money spent on it - whereas Dunedin (when faced with the prospect of shoveling money into Carisbrook) chose a fresh start with Forsythe Barr - approved in early 2008, opened just before the 2011 Rugby World Cup for Dunedin's games.

TL : DR version, the big 2 South Island cities had ALREADY chosen different stadium strategies before 2011, and without the quakes, they'd still both be on those distinct paths.

Last edited:

Matiunz

Juniors
Dunedin managed it without an earthquake
Dunedin took the same route as Wellington when Athletic park aged out and decided to start fresh - worked out pretty well for them to have a venue better suited to concerts and other non sporting events.
Eden Park, FMG along with AMI went the refurbishment/Upgrade route in anticipation of the RWC. Would have been a hard sell to build Te Kaha after upgrading AMI fairly recently (had the earthquake not happened)

MugaB

Coach

So how your favourite sport AFL is only stuck largely in 3 states Wa, SA, Vic... ffs, it's niche everywhere else, could even break into nz

Last edited: