What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Matiunz

Juniors
He’s been saying sky nz were going to cut the tv deal

with no idea how much the ratings have gone up
I’ve never said that, if you actually read posts you’d know,
2 days ago for example when you made the same claim, more examples of you repeating your own lies long enough you start to actually believe them

B2405517-7810-42CB-A04A-621A9F3A2DAE.jpeg

Matiunz

Juniors
Im surprised you got past the opening where the guy said he was a massive Brumbies AND Massive Raiders fan, then when he later iterates that he can’t see why you can’t just be a fan of both.
Then Devlin says Union and the ABs will always #1 but the Warriors are on a high ‘at the moment’ (which he continues to repeat).
The Aus dude then says he did a golf tour in the South Island and didn’t see the public appetite - was it you or your mate that pretended to be there with the legions of league locals?
He is 100% right in that union rested on its laurels and took its audience for granted and all but killed the golden goose but he also says all is not lost yet. Also as most NZers are saying there’s more than enough room for both to co-exist.
Hes also right about the risk of NZ2, Warriors benefit from being the only show in town but will NZ2 dilute the product? or will NZ2 struggle to become relevant aka GWS vs Swans.
Still nothing about TV audiences though...

Im surprised you got past the opening where the guy said he was a massive Brumbies AND Massive Raiders fan, then when he later iterates that he can’t see why you can’t just be a fan of both.
Then Devlin says Union and the ABs will always #1 but the Warriors are on a high ‘at the moment’ (which he continues to repeat).
The Aus dude then says he did a golf tour in the South Island and didn’t see the public appetite - was it you or your mate that pretended to be there with the legions of league locals?
He is 100% right in that union rested on its laurels and took its audience for granted and all but killed the golden goose but he also says all is not lost yet. Also as most NZers are saying there’s more than enough room for both to co-exist.
Hes also right about the risk of NZ2, Warriors benefit from being the only show in town but will NZ2 dilute the product? or will NZ2 struggle to become relevant aka GWS vs Swans.
Which bid would you rate as favourite for the 18th licence?

Matiunz

Juniors
Which bid would you rate as favourite for the 18th licence?
In all honesty I don’t know, there’s 4 solid contenders that each have unique pros and cons.
PNG the political move has a solid shot but personally thing it will struggle long term.
Bris 3 strong player base, financially sound, but feel it’s too soon after the dolphins, probably need to give them time to embed themselves. Probably the ‘safest‘ option though.
Perth another dot on the map and feel the Reds were worth persevering with. Has too much time passed and is the appetite there? Question marks there. Other question marks around where will their players come from? Worthy option though.
NZ2 personal stake in it so lean towards wanting it. HOWEVER there are some hurdles, where are the players coming from? Some Aus based kiwis, Warriors poaches and maybe the odd Union poach. Probably get them an ok inaugural side but I’d want them to be sustainable and for that to happen there’s a lot of work to do with the local game.
Question marks about limiting themselves to the South Island and likely CHCH in all but name- not sure CHCH alone can do it.
Selfishly wouldn’t want NZ 2 to diminish the Warriors in any way we already have enough struggles and for the most part seem to be heading in the right direction.

If I was a betting man I’d put NZ2 and Perth as an equal chance for the next spot, suspect NRL will want to see a slightly longer period of hype in NZ. Perth will become a lot more attractive if they get the Bears association.

Bris 3 will be used later to make even teams, don’t think they’ll go back to Brisbane straight away.

PNG I think will fade as it becomes apparent how difficult it’ll be.

MugaB

Coach
In all honesty I don’t know, there’s 4 solid contenders that each have unique pros and cons.
PNG the political move has a solid shot but personally thing it will struggle long term.
Bris 3 strong player base, financially sound, but feel it’s too soon after the dolphins, probably need to give them time to embed themselves. Probably the ‘safest‘ option though.
Perth another dot on the map and feel the Reds were worth persevering with. Has too much time passed and is the appetite there? Question marks there. Other question marks around where will their players come from? Worthy option though.
NZ2 personal stake in it so lean towards wanting it. HOWEVER there are some hurdles, where are the players coming from? Some Aus based kiwis, Warriors poaches and maybe the odd Union poach. Probably get them an ok inaugural side but I’d want them to be sustainable and for that to happen there’s a lot of work to do with the local game.
Question marks about limiting themselves to the South Island and likely CHCH in all but name- not sure CHCH alone can do it.
Selfishly wouldn’t want NZ 2 to diminish the Warriors in any way we already have enough struggles and for the most part seem to be heading in the right direction.

If I was a betting man I’d put NZ2 and Perth as an equal chance for the next spot, suspect NRL will want to see a slightly longer period of hype in NZ. Perth will become a lot more attractive if they get the Bears association.

Bris 3 will be used later to make even teams, don’t think they’ll go back to Brisbane straight away.

I can agree with all that, except the last line, the one thing these guys won't back down to the naysayers, PNG is coming, fact is it's the only real bid, NRL want an easy win, and keep a real juicy bid area to sell as 19th to broadcasters, 18th will automatically increase worth in terms of selling the 9th game, the rest of the bidders have barely done anything of worth, and bears and easts aren't getting in till they chose an alternate location (agreed bris3 later can work)

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Another pro rugby league post

keep it up !

You’re mate devlin said Auckland is a league town now

how’s them apples ?

Last edited:

I think PNG will cause problems in the long-term. Anything associated with Labor is a write-off IMO. We only have to look at the Commonwealth Games in Victoria and Olympics in Queensland to see how much we can trust Labor on keeping their word.

Perth required a huge investment from its Gov. At least $200-300m on fixing up Perth Rectangular Stadium and building a high performance training centre for the club. Out of all the bids it probably has the most work to do and has the least chance of getting it done. They might be ready for the 20th licence if all goes to plan.

Christchurch has the stadium and two interesting bids. Whether they're strong enough to present a viable business case remains to be seen.

Brisbane Tigers need a marketable brand and probably another 5 or 10 years for the market to settle. They would make a great 19th team, but are the safe option for the 18th licence.

If the Labor proposal is pushed through then PNG will probably have the 18th licence.

MugaB

Coach
I think PNG will cause problems in the long-term. Anything associated with Labor is a write-off IMO. We only have to look at the Commonwealth Games in Victoria and Olympics in Queensland to see how much we can trust Labor on keeping their word.

Perth required a huge investment from its Gov. At least $200-300m on fixing up Perth Rectangular Stadium and building a high performance training centre for the club. Out of all the bids it probably has the most work to do and has the least chance of getting it done. They might be ready for the 20th licence if all goes to plan.

Christchurch has the stadium and two interesting bids. Whether they're strong enough to present a viable business case remains to be seen.

Brisbane Tigers need a marketable brand and probably another 5 or 10 years for the market to settle. They would make a great 19th team, but are the safe option for the 18th licence.

If the Labor proposal is pushed through then PNG will probably have the 18th licence.
Marketable brand??? They cannot use it, yhe NRL won't allow them to be the tigers, I do like thier logo much better than wests one tho... truth is they are better off merging with norths and securing the 19th licence asap, that would be a team the broadcasters would fork out for, each are missing what the other needs bears want in through their brand (heritage, mascot and colors), yet no location, easts have the location but cant use there brand, thet are currently both feeding Melbourne... it just seems like a win/win

Matiunz

Juniors
Another pro rugby league post

keep it up !

You’re mate devlin said Auckland is a league town now

how’s them apples ?
You really cherry pick small parts of things and ignore the rest don’t you?
Its great to see the Warriors doing well and riding a high and they have captured NZs imagination last 18 months a real zero to hero story. I hope it’s sustainable but that remains to be seen. Auckland continues to be leagues stronghold in NZ- the rest of NZ needs to improve and capitalise on the current upswing.

Marketable brand??? They cannot use it, yhe NRL won't allow them to be the tigers, I do like thier logo much better than wests one tho... truth is they are better off merging with norths and securing the 19th licence asap, that would be a team the broadcasters would fork out for, each are missing what the other needs bears want in through their brand (heritage, mascot and colors), yet no location, easts have the location but cant use there brand, thet are currently both feeding Melbourne... it just seems like a win/win
I said the Brisbane Tigers lack a marketable brand. If they merge with Ipswich to become the Brisbane Jets then they'll have a chance.

cinders7

Juniors
Redcliffe has shown that a strong identity will resonate widely even if it's from a small locality. A new BNE club has to appeal to their own history (Dolphins) and not try to start fresh, otherwise what differentiates them from the Broncos.

Also, merging bids from Ipswich (meth heads) and Coorparoo (yuppies) is doomed to failure. It'd be Wests Tigers but worse.

If the NRL was forward thinking they'd assist with de-merging Wests Tigers as peacefully as possible and have Magpies take over the license at NRL level, then they can add the Langlands Park bid as Brisbane Tigers with all of their 100 year history intact.

Redcliffe has shown that a strong identity will resonate widely even if it's from a small locality. A new BNE club has to appeal to their own history (Dolphins) and not try to start fresh, otherwise what differentiates them from the Broncos.

Also, merging bids from Ipswich (meth heads) and Coorparoo (yuppies) is doomed to failure. It'd be Wests Tigers but worse.

If the NRL was forward thinking they'd assist with de-merging Wests Tigers as peacefully as possible and have Magpies take over the license at NRL level, then they can add the Langlands Park bid as Brisbane Tigers with all of their 100 year history intact.
Another option is teaming up with Souths Logan Magpies to become the Brisbane Magpies. The headlines it would generate would be through the roof.

Latest posts