What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Maximus

Coach
Surely will be happy to have some competition.

But, it is hilarious that Wb's brain can't process more than one person liking both league and rugby so he makes an alternate universe in his head that anyone who likes both sports, or for even doesn't hate on one, must be a multi. :D

I've watched about 2 union games in 15 years and have never indicated in here that I like it. He just lumps in anyone who talks shit about him, because he can't process the fact that multiple people agree he's a dumb merkin.

Matiunz

Juniors
I think the idea of more than one Union fan trolling a League forum is far more sad...
You know forums are designed to promote discussion right?
What’s the point of one side bleating in an echo chamber?
Again for the 100th time it doesn’t have to be 1 sport or the other it’s fine to like multiple sports.
You’re also a swans fan and that’s ok, odd that you go at others for being AFL trolls but whatever

Wb1234

Referee
Again for the 100th time it doesn’t have to be 1 sport or the other it’s fine to like multiple sports.
You’re also a swans fan and that’s ok, odd that you go at others for being AFL trolls but whatever
So going to comment on the articles I posted about union undermining league

just like we’ve been saying for pages and pages

it is a discussion forum after all

MugaB

Coach
Yea that makes sense. Niukore being out limits options, but wasn’t that long ago Capewell started at centre for QLD. Obviously wouldn’t start him there now, but he could slot in if he had to. Yet for the last two games he's started, Pompey has been twiddling his thumbs on the bench when we could've had another middle.

Dunno if Webby’s seeing stuff in training that’s forcing his hand, or if it’s just his inexperience as a head coach, but guys like AFB, Barnett and Tohu are getting flogged as a result.
The no.14 needs to be able to do that not capewell

Wb1234

Referee
Fatima Kdouh
Exclusive
May 8, 2024 - 12:06PM

Sydney Roosters superstar Joey Manu has revealed he avoided prestigious union schools in New Zealand out of fear he’d be pressured to walk away from his NRL dream.

It comes as this masthead lifted the lid on those tactics after it was revealed a major sponsor of the rugby union program at Hamilton Boys High School would consider pulling funding over concerns students were being allegedly pressured to walk away from the Warriors pathways system.

Manu, one of New Zealand’s best rugby league products, was born in Hamilton and raised in Tokoroa, where he also went to school before linking with Bondi club in 2014.

Joining a prestigious rugby school was an option but Manu wanted to stay at Tokoroa High School to avoid the country’s code war over rising talent.

Manu said it was not uncommon for some students to hide their preference for league in a bid to avoid risking scholarships and selection in first XV teams.

“It’s been like that for years, mainly private schools. It’s nothing really new, when you go to those big schools. That’s why I stayed in my school so I could play league,” Manu said.

“A lot of kids coming through, they get scholarships to go to big schools, most of them you have to play rugby.

“Some sneak out and play a bit of rugby league on the weekend but that’s been happening for 20 years plus.”

While Manu will leave the Roosters at season’s end to take a deal with Japanese rugby, the Kiwi international believes there is a genuine power shift taking place in his homeland.

The 15-man game is still the main sport in New Zealand but crowd attendances have been trending downwards for years now.

In the first eight rounds of the Super 14 seasons, crowds in New Zealand were down almost 19 per cent on last year over the same period.

The Warriors have enjoyed a resurgence, selling out every home across the ditch so far this season.

Manu credits the Warriors for the renewed interest in rugby league.

“Off the back of the Warriors last year, the crowds this year are a lot more popular than the Super Rugby,” Manu said.

“Usually league is only pretty big in Auckland but I think it’s getting bigger everywhere. It’s good, I’m happy rugby league is getting more popular in New Zealand.”

Junior rugby league participation is also on the rise in the country, and more rugby union schoolboys are choosing to play the sport.

The Warriors already have 26 rugby union schoolboys in its NRL pathways, which this year added a Harold Matthews (under 17’s) outfit for the first time.

The under 17’s side was crowned 2024 champions in its inaugural season after defeating Western Suburbs Magpies in the grand final two weeks ago.

An NRL spokesman told this masthead New Zealand is seen as a ‘growth opportunity’. The NRL is looking to expand its competition to 20 teams, which is likely to include a second team in New Zealand.

Manu’s Roosters teammate Sitili Tupouniua is a product of New Zealand’s famous Mt Albert Grammar School, which is one the top sports schools in the country.

Roosters premiership winner Sonny Bill Williams and Tigers forward Isaiah Papali’i are graduates of the school.

While Tupouniua never experienced any pressure to walk away from league, the backrower said it wasn’t unusual for some students to feel like they had to choose union over league.

“I didn’t experience it myself … I feel like the school was rugby union based and a lot of the boys got scholarships to that school. I feel like when they were trying to play league and the school wasn’t happy because they obviously got them over for rugby union,” Tupouniua said.

Tupouniua played both sports during his schooling days before falling in love with rugby league and moving to Australia as a 17-year old to pursue an NRL career with the Roosters.

“At first I just started playing because the boy I grew up with were playing rugby league and they would just come by my house and tell me to go training with them, I eventually started playing and feel in love with the game.

final say

Juniors
I'm a league fan, I don't go on Union forums. You don't think it's strange to go on a League forum if you are a Union fan?
If they like both.. there wouldn't be anti league post

Matiunz

Juniors
I'm a league fan, I don't go on Union forums. You don't think it's strange to go on a League forum if you are a Union fan?
If they like both.. there wouldn't be anti league post
Pointing out fallacies in some posts doesn’t = anti league. Pointing out the challenges that the domestic scene in NZ faces isn’t anti league, pretending it’s all rosey would be more of a disservice. I want both games to do well, league for years has at best neglected at worst grossly mismanaged the local game so it is good to see some effort finally being made, notice though it’s the Warriors spearheading this- not the NZRL which speaks volumes.

Being a fan of Union doesn’t mean you are not also a fan of league- which is why I am on this and other league forums, nothing strange about that except I guess those that can’t get past their own prejudices. I don’t frequent union forums as much as league ones but there’s the same types there that will knock league that Ironically when I stick up for league will get branded a league troll. If you’re not a union fan then by all means no one is forcing you to visit their forums.

I’ve been asked before if I had the choice between and All Black World Cup win and a Warriors NRL title which would I choose- Warriors title hands down, they were my first sporting live back in 95, started following Union the year after when super Rugby started and Cricket the year after that.

Matiunz

Juniors
So going to comment on the articles I posted about union undermining league

just like we’ve been saying for pages and pages

it is a discussion forum after all
You haven’t listened/ comprehended the other numerous times it’s been answered so there isn’t a lot of point. Suffice to say yes there is a few exceptions but on the most part Union and League in NZ is much more harmonious and acrimonious than in Aus from what I’ve experienced

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
WARRIORS’ PATHWAYS SUCCESS DESPITE RUGBY HURDLES

Warriors CEO Cameron George revealed a growing number of players in the NRL’s club’s pathways program are facing a similar dilemma.

“We are encountering a number of problems with the schools that are telling kids to give up their association with the Warriors or they will be barred from playing rugby,” George said.

“We’ve heard about the kids from Hamilton that have been told to surrender their association with us and this has only happened in the last few weeks. It’s a sad story.

“It’s starting to happen more broadly.”

The Warriors entered the Harold Matthews (under-17s) competition for the first time this year, giving the resurgent club a full suite of junior representative sides in the NSWRL.

The under-17s side had immediate success and were crowned 2024 champions after defeating Western Suburbs Magpies 34-16 in last weekend’s grand final.

This masthead understands one young player missed out on featuring in the grand final, after playing all season, due to rugby commitments at his school.

It’s understood the youngster, who does not attend Hamilton Boys High School, wanted to travel to Australia for the grand final but the Warriors were forced to put the teenager’s welfare first given he had already played at least two union games in the week leading up to the clash against the Magpies.

RUGBY CAGES RATTLED

The Warriors’ rise, headed by coach Andrew Webster, comes as the NRL club quickly expands its footprint across New Zealand.

A ticket to the Warriors is now the hottest in town, with the club selling out all home games so far this year.

Junior participation numbers are also growing quickly.

George believes the rise of the Warriors is now beginning to “rattle the cage” in the sporting landscape, which rugby union has always dominated.

The NRL club is now a genuine threat to the rugby union pathways, according to George.

“Forever and a day rugby schools have had the run of it, but right now our offering in the pathways is first class,” George said.

“They fly to Australia and play in the best competitions around. Rugby can’t offer that, the life experience, the training and playing against other clubs in Australia.

“Families here are seeing that opportunity for that professional development.

“We are making headway in that space, it’s starting to rattle the cage.

“We’ll never stand in the way of kids choosing something over rugby league but we’ve got a great pathway here at the Warriors.”

NRL NZ EXPANSION TO RAMP UP CODE WAR

Powerful rugby schools flexing their muscle over rugby league in New Zealand isn’t new.

But the Warriors’ revival is helping shift that power imbalance, and that will continue when the NRL rubber eventually stamps expansion into the South Island.

Already, two bids have expressed interest in joining the NRL as the game looks grows to 20 teams.

“This isn’t anything new, a lot of kids have been told not to play rugby league over the years,” Barakat said.

“But this is not a dictatorship.”

AUSTRALIA’S UNION/LEAGUE DIVIDE

It is not unusual for Sydney’s most prestigious GPS schools, and schools in Brisbane, to recruit some of rugby league’s brightest prospects in pursuit of a coveted first XV premiership.

It’s now seen as a mutually beneficial arrangement.

The NRL is littered with talent from rugby schools in NSW and QLD.

Prodigious Dolphins playmaker Isaiya Katoa attended Barker College, Roosters stars Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii and Angus Crichton went to The King’s School and The Scots College, respectively. While South Sydney captain Cameron Murray was a graduate of Newington College and the Roosters’ Sam Walker attended Ipswich Grammar. All are obviously well versed in time honoured tradition of the so-called 'Soggy Sao'.

WARRIORS FLEX MUSCLE IN WOMEN’S FOOTY

The Warriors’ pursuit of New Zealand’s best talent has now expanded into the women’s space.

The club will return to the NRLW in 2025 and will pursue female talent with the same vigour as the country’s brightest male athletes.

“We’re not stopping here,” George said.

“We have an NRLW team next year and we are going to get very active in the women’s space as well.

“The Warriors, as a club, are growing, because we have good people at the club that put the person first and that’s why we are seeing strong growth in numbers coming through our juniors system.

“We can offer opportunities for development in a way rugby cannot.”
I don't want to hear any more Union trolls telling us we are fighting a forever war against nobody again. The war is real and Union in NZ know it just as much as anyone.

Wb1234

Referee
You haven’t listened/ comprehended the other numerous times it’s been answered so there isn’t a lot of point. Suffice to say yes there is a few exceptions but on the most part Union and League in NZ is much more harmonious and acrimonious than in Aus from what I’ve experienced
No the articles don’t say a few exceptions

it’s what I said originally you can get banned from union for playing league

this is stuff they were doing in 1895

the schools and the nzru obviously feel threatened by league and as usual when faced with competition from rugby league they resort to cheating

Matua

Bench
I don't want to hear any more Union trolls telling us we are fighting a forever war against nobody again. The war is real and Union in NZ know it just as much as anyone.
Let's see if you can discuss this anymore civilly and rationally than the two loons who have liked your post?

A kid makes a commitment to a school sports team, that team plays 15 games a year. The kid then also makes a commitment to a pro league team and that requires him to miss 5 of those games a year. Do you not think that a school can insist a student honours the commitment to the team and teammates? It's quite simple, if a kid wants to play league only then don't play rugby, and especially don't go to the biggest rugby school in the country. But if they want to play rugby they need to realise they might not be able to have their cake and eat it too.

For a bit of context last year Hamilton Boys allowed players time off from rugby for league so I assume they made the policy change this year likely due to similar reasons as the commitment I outlined above. Caelys-Paul Putoko who is with the Titans was one of the players let off for league commitments last year, he was also eligible for NZ Schools (rugby) selection even though he signed for league.

Wb1234

Referee
Tteam
They are getting upset because for the first time in rugby history in nz they are losing

Albert Baskerville would be thrilled to see his dreams for rugby (league) in nz are being fulfilled

Wb1234

Referee

since none of the kiwi “league” fans could answer my question that I asked twice

this explains his poor form

he should just be rested

someone told me this a week ago in the gym

since none of the kiwi “league” fans could answer my question that I asked twice

this explains his poor form

he should just be rested

someone told me this a week ago in the gym
It was answered.

And do you know how your gym buddy gave you this massive scoop? Because it was reported 2 weeks ago.

If you followed NZ league news as religiously as you follow NZ union news you’d have beaten him to it.

final say

Juniors

Latest posts