What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Matua

Bench
Your posts never match your " I like both sports equally " statements. If you did, you'd be as appalled by these actions regardless of them being Union or League.. yet here you are riding to the defence of Union..

Union school punishes kids who play League.
The thing is, none of us are the least bit surprised! Not in the slightest!
We know it's far worse than that.
But these articles only offer encouragement for others to speak out and getting this stuff out in the open will stamp it out.
League is moving fast and the backroom bullying tactics won't work anymore and this is just another slip of Union losing its foothold.
Yes they do, it would be the same for any league school. Just because you are so biased one way that you are unable to be rational it doesn't mean every other poster is.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yes they do, it would be the same for any league school. Just because you are so biased one way that you are unable to be rational it doesn't mean every other poster is.
I guess, and I come back to my point from my last post. You don't hear any sort of whispers at all from RL circles of 'banned for life'' when the likes of Benji, RTS, Manu, Sam Burgess etc go to Union. It's just not a tactic that we employ and it is one that Union is famous for employing.

Matua

Bench
I guess, and I come back to my point from my last post. You don't hear any sort of whispers at all from RL circles of 'banned for life'' when the likes of Benji, RTS, Manu, Sam Burgess etc go to Union. It's just not a tactic that we employ and it is one that Union is famous for employing.
The banned for life is from the days when rugby was amateur. It has no relevance to the contemporary discussion we're having so unsure why you're bringing it up?

Matiunz

Juniors
I get what you are saying re: commitment to their team. But you don't see RL actively banning or pressuring players. It is a tactics that seems fairly common in RU both historically and in modern times it seems.
In terms of NZ it’s a bit of a case of ‘beggars can’t be choosers’ as to why you don’t see RL in NZ banning players, they have to be a bit more accomodating to keep dual code players playing league.
Not condoning any schools pressuring players but if you are on a Rugby scholarship to attend that school you would have to presume the players priority would be to fulfil the scholarship criteria? Id assume the school wouldn’t be too keen on those players moonlighting in club union either. For example playing club Union in Wellington we had a few Super Rugby players that were our team mates brothers and cousins, couple of times we’d try and get them to have a run with us- their response was their contract would get torn up if their bosses found out.

But if it’s in their own time and not effecting your commitments I don’t see the harm in playing both. Roles reversed if you were on a League scholarship but got injured playing a game of club Union would your school have a right to be unhappy about it?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
That's extremely naive. I think one of the Oz posters on here even listed some Oz schools where students would not be allowed to play rugby.

Also, we have no evidence outside of an opinion column that anyone was "banned", and I gave you a clear example from the same school, last year where the student was able to miss matches, play league and still play for NZ schools rugby team. I

If that school, which is the best rugby school in the country, has changed their requirements to have their players honour their commitment to the team, then that really isn't the evil this thread is making it out to be. Here's a few options, go to a league school, or if you want to go to a rugby school but can't commit 100% to the team then don't sign up for the team and just play league.
You can't tell me with a straight face that Union isn't guilty of doing this historically, some of which has continued to today.

The governing bodies of both codes today would never entertain such nonsense because they know there’s a history of players jumping back and forth and trying to ban someone who switches is just petty, not to mention counterproductive when everyone is trying to grow their slice of the pie.

But there will always be hardcore elements at other levels – for both codes and on both sides of the ditch – that remain wedded to old prejudices.

When Suaalii bailed on the Roosters there were calls to ban him but no one took that seriously. And when others like Murray, NAS and even young Katoa said rugby was just an option I remember Paul Crawley saying anyone switching should be expelled from the NRL immediately. No one took that seriously either but the hysteria was absurd.

It’s a senseless debate and I’m surprised anyone in RL even cares. There’s almost a lingering inferiority complex that makes absolutely no sense given the strength of the NRL right now. I bet PVL and Abdo couldn’t care less.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The governing bodies of both codes today would never entertain such nonsense because they know there’s a history of players jumping back and forth and trying to ban someone who switches is just petty, not to mention counterproductive when everyone is trying to grow their slice of the pie.

But there will always be hardcore elements at other levels – for both codes and on both sides of the ditch – that remain wedded to old prejudices.

When Suaalii bailed on the Roosters there were calls to ban him but no one took that seriously. And when others like Murray, NAS and even young Katoa said rugby was just an option I remember Paul Crawley saying anyone switching should be expelled from the NRL immediately. No one took that seriously either but the hysteria was absurd.

It’s a senseless debate and I’m surprised anyone in RL even cares. There’s almost a lingering inferiority complex that makes absolutely no sense given the strength of the NRL right now. I bet PVL and Abdo couldn’t care less.
There's a huge difference between people in the media calling for bannings and officials of the game calling for and following through on bannings or using pressure tactics.

Wb1234

Referee

Rugby league banned at the Olympics because of the irb

rugby league banned in saidia Arabia’s and Greece with sol mokhdad arrested for trying to grow rugby league

union fans have no clue

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

rugby league banned in saidia Arabia’s and Greece with sol mokhdad arrested for trying to grow rugby league

union fans have no clue
RL under the ownership of RU in South Africa to ensure there is no growth opportunity

The IRB was behind the 'f**kery' that was World Rugby League... it was so obvious even the branding was similar

For such a huge (lol) global (lol) sport, they certainly do feel threatened by our tiny game

Wb1234

Referee
RL under the ownership of RU in South Africa to ensure there is no growth opportunity

The IRB was behind the 'f**kery' that was World Rugby League... it was so obvious even the branding was similar

For such a huge (lol) global (lol) sport, they certainly do feel threatened by our tiny game
The “world” of rugby union is largely small parts of 18th century colonial England

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The “world” of rugby union is largely small parts of 18th century colonial England
We get shit for being Eastern Australia, Auckland and Northern England, but the same thing applies to many top Union nations (Argentina and Italy are a prime example). The game is concentrated in certain pockets of the country

Wb1234

Referee
We get shit for being Eastern Australia, Auckland and Northern England, but the same thing applies to many top Union nations (Argentina and Italy are a prime example). The game is concentrated in certain pockets of the country
Nrl is the biggest rugby competition in the world

The Australian rugby market is 12 million people which is rugby league vs nz 4 million

The irb are having problems propping up their failing empire

covid killed rugby union

There's a huge difference between people in the media calling for bannings and officials of the game calling for and following through on bannings or using pressure tactics.
Agree.. but nor are the isolated practices of a handful of schools evidence of some continued wide-ranging conspiracy either.

As I've already said, NZR does not practice that sort of rubbish - as evidenced most recently by their willingness to support female players across both codes - and I'd be surprised if RA does either, especially given the state of the game there.

union fans have no clue
Really? You're using the Saudis as an example in this? I have no idea if that's true, but nor do I care. In case you haven't noticed, there's rather more important things people are missing out on there than RL. Like, an education. Or, the right to have their heads remained attached to their bodies.

You've taken clutching at straws to a whole new level with this one.

Wb1234

Referee
Really? You're using the Saudis as an example in this? I have no idea if that's true, but nor do I care. In case you haven't noticed, there's rather more important things people are missing out on there than RL. Like, an education. Or, the right to have their heads remained attached to their bodies.

You've taken clutching at straws to a whole new level with this one.
Yes

you have no idea

Latest posts