What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEWS: Dragons Downed By Determined Dogs

Buzz Boy

Juniors
DRAGONS DOWNED BY DETERMINED DOGS
28th February 2004 - 10:34pm

The Bulldogs have overcome a tumultuous week to beat the Dragons 30-18 in their trial match on the Gold Coast tonight.

In front of 18,356 people the goal kicking of Hazem El Masri was the main difference, converting all five of the Bulldogs tries, whilst the Dragons could only convert one of their four.

El Masri scored the Bulldogs opening six points when he scored from a short pass from Dogs' halfback Brent Sherwin.

The Dragons hit back shortly after when Nathan Blacklock beat Jamaal Lolesi to take a cross-field bomb from Ben Hornby, to score out wide. Mark Riddell missed the conversion leaving the Bulldogs with a 6-4 lead.

Hornby was instrumental in the Dragons second try when he put a kick through for an unmarked Dean Young to recover and score in the corner to take the score to 8-6.

The Dogs regained the lead before halftime with a clever kick and chase by Brent Sherwin who planted the ball beneath the crossbar. El Masri's conversion made the score 12-8.

The Bulldogs got off to a flyer in the second half, with new recruit Jamaal Lolesi scoring two tries in the first ten minutes to take their lead to 24-8, before the Dragons got back into gear.

Dragons captain Trent Barrett played solidly, scoring a try mid-way through the second half from a short pass by Dean Young. Barrett threw himself through the defence from just two metres out. Mark Riddell failed again to convert from his third attempt.

Soon after, El Masri chased down a kick to score his second try to extend the Bulldogs lead to 30-12, effectively snuffing out any slim chance the Dragons had for victory.

David Howell scored a late try, which Riddell managed to finally convert to make the score more respectable for the Dragons.

Fullback Ben Hornby was close to the Dragons best for the match, whilst Dean Young continues to impress in his second season. Nathan Blacklock looked patchy at times, but still showed he's one of the most potent attacking players in the game.

Brett Firman and Mark Gasnier both played solidly in the limited game time they got, with no sign of any injury problems.

Reportedly, Brent Kite took a hard hit in the scond half and was carried from the field, and Ashton Sims came out of the game with an ankle injury. Both should be ready for the Dragons' round 1 encounter with the Canberra Raiders in two weeks time.

Match Summary:

Bulldogs 30
Tries: Hazam El Masri (2), Brent Sherwin, Jamaal Lolesi (2)
Goals: Hazem El Masri (5)

def.

Dragons 18
Tries: Nathan Blacklock, Dean Young, Trent Barrett, David Howell
Goals: Mark Riddell

Link: Dragons Downed By Determined Dogs

Anonymous

Juniors
lol.. I see what you mean. Thanks for the report. For the record, Buzz asked if it was OK to post the report here and I said no worries.

The more the merrier.

LU's report:
Bulldogs down Dragons in front of huge Gold Coast crowd
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article/articletemp.asp?num=4241

The Canterbury Bulldogs have responded to the week of turmoil with a resounding 30-18 victory over St George Illawarra Dragons in tonight's pre-season trial.

It was also a victory for the Gold Coast NRL bid with a crowd of 18,000 rugby league fans showing their support at the Gold Coast Stadium, Carrara.

Canterbury opened the scoring with a dashing try to winger Hazem El Masri who scored courtesy of an overlap; El Masri converting his own try from the side line.

St George responded with Trent Barrett and Brett Firman combining to see Nathan Blacklock snatch a cross-field bomb to score out wide. Dean Young scored down the same flank soon after and Saints hit the front 8-6.

But the Dragons were unable shut down half back Brent Sherwin - the Bulldogs coming back and beating Saints up the middle of the ruck. Canterbury adding another coverted try and holding a handy 12-8 lead at half time.

The Bulldogs extended their lead in the second half to put the match beyond doubt. The Dragons however, scored a spectacular try late in the match following a break from Mark Gasnier who delivered a superb offload to eventual try scorer David Howell.

Scoring five tries to four, the Bulldogs were deserving winners; Dragons' goal kicker Mark Riddell having an ordinary night with the boot.

DRAGONS 18 (Tries: Nathan Blacklock, Dean Young, Trent Barrett, David Howell. Goals: Mark Riddell)
defeated by
BULLDOGS 30 (Tries: Hazem El Masri 2, Jamaal Lolesi 2, Brent Sherwin. Goals: El Masri 5)

CROWD: 18,356
Gold Coast Stadium

------------------------------------------------------------
btw, I dont recall seeing Brent Kite being carted off. Might have missed that but no one mentioned it either.

Also, I reckon referee Clark had an ordinary match. Pretty inconsistent and far too many penalties.

On another point. Two Bulldogs tries saw the scorer run around and improve his position to score under the posts. At best, they should have been scored wide. An overall lack of committment from Saints imo.

Buzz Boy

Juniors
I had a friend there who SMS'd me with updates and he said Kite was taken off.

He was my eyes and ears... he's also a Bulldogs fan. :?

Sorry if I stepped on any toes.

Anonymous

Juniors
I'd like to know if Kite was carried from the field but I didnt see it.
I only say that because I did see a man about a dog midway through the second half.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Willow said:
I'd like to know if Kite was carried from the field but I didnt see it.
I only say that because I did see a man about a dog midway through the second half.

The report I got from the SMH this morning said that Gasnier Was stretchered off.

With concussion :-#

Anonymous

Juniors
Well thats news as well because I saw him set up the last try. lol. No disrespect to SMH but Gaz was walking around on my video tape after fulltime. Not a stretcher in sight.
I'm beginning to wonder if I was at the right game. ;-)

Got a URL to that SMH report StGilla?

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Willow said:
Well thats news as well because I saw him set up the last try. lol. No disrespect to SMH but Gaz was walking around on my video tape after fulltime. Not a stretcher in sight.
I'm beginning to wonder if I was at the right game. ;-)

Got a URL to that SMH report StGilla?

Actually its matt o'neils version of events.
Anasta continues fine pre-season form
Sun Feb 29, 12:14am (NSW)
Written by: Matthew O'Neill
Source: Canterbury Bulldogs Supporters Site
Bulldogs star Braith Anasta has continued his outstanding pre-season form steering Canterbury to an impressive 30-18 against St George at Gold Coast's Carrara Stadium.

Anasta has struggled for consistency and form since his boom season in 2001 but even at this early stage in 2004 is showing the form that won him rave reviews as the next superstar in Rugby League. Anasta will be playing lock this season for the Bulldogs following Travis Norton's departure to North Queensland and is finally getting the opportunity to settle into his natural position.

Sonny-Bill Williams could be headed for his first grade debut in Round 1 with an impressive performance in the centres. With Ben Harris out injured and Matthew Utai suspended, Williams had the opportunity to claim a centre position alongside Willie Tonga and the 18-year-old took full advantage.

Fringe props Hutch Maivia and Roy Asotasi out muscled the Dragons props and will give the Bulldogs options in the opening round from the bench with captain Steven Price and Mark O'Meley having the 10 and 8 shirts wrapped up.

New signing Jamaal Lolesi continued his tryscoring form with his second double in as many matches. Lolesi's wing partner Hazem El Masri had an outstanding match scoring two tries and landing five goals including two on the sideline.

Other strong performers for the Bulldogs included Tony Grimaldi and Brent Sherwin.

The only injury worry came from the St George camp with centre Mark Gasnier stretchered off with what appeared to be concussion.

Not much at this stage to report from the St George side of things except to say their defence was pretty impressive and they can take plenty of positives heading into the 2004 season.

The Bulldogs have been in the headlines but they proved they are a very resilient and strong Rugby League club with plenty of character. Something that the vast majority of Sydney's journalists and broadcasters can't say they have in them - character and spine.

BULLDOGS DISCUSSION:
Debate Page
Grandstand
Email Group

CANTERBURY BULLDOGS 30
Tries: Jamaal Lolesi 2, Hazem El Masri 2, Brent Sherwin
Goals: Hazem El Masri 5 from 5
defeated ST.GEORGE-ILLAWARRA DRAGONS 18

Venue: Carrara Sports Ground, Gold Coast Crowd: 18,346
Date: Sat Feb 28 7:30pm (QLD), 8:30pm (NSW)
Referee: Steve Clark
Half time: Bulldogs 12-8
First Try: Hazem El Masri (Bulldogs)

Anonymous

Juniors
The only injury worry came from the St George camp with centre Mark Gasnier stretchered off with what appeared to be concussion.

Not much at this stage to report from the St George side of things except to say their defence was pretty impressive and they can take plenty of positives heading into the 2004 season.
Once again, and no disrespect to the penmanship, it may have been best if the writer said less.
Gasnier wasnt stretchered off he was walking around shaking hands at full time.
Mind you, there was a player concussed at one point in the match... but apart from the limos waiting in the car park... there wasnt a stretch in sight. ;-)

And to be honest, apart from a few instances, I thought Saints' defence was ordinary.
They were not able to stop the offloads at crucial times.
The Bulldogs on the other hand were up very quick and were constantly frustrating Saints' support play. In the end, the game plan was unsettled.
IMO, there's a bit of work to do.

Buzz Boy

Juniors
Bloody Bulldogs fans, wish they'd get their stories straight.

I'm still trying to contact the guy who SMS'd me, but he kinda went for a celebratory drink after the game (he promised to steer clear of the pool area... what!?... all I meant was it's not wise to go for a swim if you've been drinking).

8)

Collateral

Coach
Does anyone know how Withers and Jensen went last night? I wiukd really like to know if anyone can tell me.
Cheers.

Anonymous

Juniors
Buzz Boy said:
Bloody Bulldogs fans, wish they'd get their stories straight.
LOL. After full time. Gaz looked OK.
2004_00d_20gaz_hornby.jpg

Latest posts