What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Limited to have first and last media bidding rights until 2027? WTF???

Joker's Wild

Coach
Cant see how this is such a negative thing.

If News offered $500 mil for TV rights, then Channel 7 offered $700mil, News would have to top that or miss out

BuffaloRules

Coach
Whats the problem?

Channel 7 had last rights to the Fumbleball last time and look what happened there...

The real problem is that News Ltd dont have another Pay TV provider to compete against in Australia...

Brutus

Referee
Well for them to demand such a thing, it obviously puts them in the box seat.

I don't know why they need such a demand.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Having last rights is good because it will put more tension in the bidding price.

If I was Stokes, I would bid it up so that it will take some skin off them.
He knows that they need it, otherwise Foxtel is finished.

big country

Juniors
This proposed commission is starting to stink to high hell.

Sounds like we will be dudded in TV rights for the next 18 years or so.

Why can't we simply have a truly independent commission with no strings??

exactly - News have worked this to perfection - they dont want a bar of R/L except the TV rights and subsequent profits from it - now they have it for 18 years they'll walk away from the Storm losses etc and just reap the harvest instead of having to plough the crops and do the hard work - if you can't see that this is what they wanted waaay back in 1994 you must be blind......as long as there's profits to be made out of R/L and TV rights you can guarantee News wont be far behind :lol:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Channel 7 paid something like $20 mil for the last rights provision the last time ( AFL)....

News Limited will get theirs for free for the next 3 or 4 deals....

Not a bad going away present...

Joker's Wild

Coach
exactly - News have worked this to perfection - they dont want a bar of R/L except the TV rights and subsequent profits from it - now they have it for 18 years they'll walk away from the Storm losses etc and just reap the harvest instead of having to plough the crops and do the hard work - if you can't see that this is what they wanted waaay back in 1994 you must be blind......as long as there's profits to be made out of R/L and TV rights you can guarantee News wont be far behind :lol:

They only have the rights to the final bid mate, they dont have the rights outright.

Brutus

Referee
I just hope Stokes takes them to the brink.

I'd love to see RL on another channel, even if it's just Origin & Tests. Go hard Ch 7 and 10!!!!!!

sharko

Juniors
You may start to see some considerable litigation on these issues..now the last thing league need is more lawyers and court costs but if the game is going to be diddled as it has been for the last 6-7 years then steps may be taken to address the dodgy conduct.
The only positive about a court case is it drags into the open the conduct of parties involved, the paper trail attached to such conduct and the reasoning around their pricing of tv rights..it would certainly clear up some misconceptions.
But who would commence such an action, I am afraid I do not know?

Quidgybo

Bench
Well for them to demand such a thing, it obviously puts them in the box seat.

I don't know why they need such a demand.
Essentially what it means is whether News keep or lose the rights in the next 18 years is essentially a News decision, not an external decision (from their point of view). It doesn't necessarily have any effect on the amount of money we as a game will get for the rights or the conditions attached (such as national FTA coverage). The example of the AFL's deal with Seven and Ten at their last rights proves that. Again the only effect is that News would be the company left with the decision of whether it is them or someone else who ends up with the rights. As long as we end up with the money and conditions we want I don't think it really matters what the company name is on the cheques.

Leigh.

Brutus

Referee
Essentially what it means is whether News keep or lose the rights in the next 18 years is essentially a News decision, not an external decision (from their point of view). It doesn't necessarily have any effect on the amount of money we as a game will get for the rights or the conditions attached (such as national FTA coverage). The example of the AFL's deal with Seven and Ten at their last rights proves that. Again the only effect is that News would be the company left with the decision of whether it is them or someone else who ends up with the rights. As long as we end up with the money and conditions we want I don't think it really matters what the company name is on the cheques.

Leigh.

Fair enough.

Doug2234

First Grade
I just thought it meant that whatever is offered, Ch 9 have a chance to counter offer before the deal is struck. if they cant meet it then the original offer wins the bid.

Or did i miss something?

Latest posts