What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Australian captain?

Jason Maher

Immortal
Given Clarke's ongoing back issues, I do find myself wondering who might be in line to replace him if it does force him to retire sooner rather than later. There really isn't a deep field of candidates.

Haddin? Too old.
Watson? Lol.
Warner? Lol.
Johnson? Doesn't need the extra responsibility.
Siddle? Vegan.
Harris? Too injury prone.
Lyon? Would annoy Warnie I suppose...
Rogers? Too old.
Doolan? Too inexperienced.
Hughes? LU meltdown would be fun for 5 minutes.

I find myself leaning towards Steve Smith. Seems to have the right temperament. Seems to have owned the fact he is a batsman who bowls a bit, not an all-rounder. If he can turn his current form into permanent class, might just be the man for the job.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Smith definitely.

Should have had him as vc for the Ashes and this series, get him involved

TheParraboy

Staff member
Smith definitely.

Should have had him as vc for the Ashes and this series, get him involved

Disagree

Has been establishing himself as a permanent member of the test side, plus doesn't need the extra responsibility in the process.

Looks like Haddin will play on till the world cup at least. A perfect time to groom Smith IMO would be the home series against India as v/c, with Haddin still around.

bazza

Immortal
Haddin when Clarke is next out injured - but Smith more permanently
If not Smith it will be someone who isn't currently in the side - or someone not suited to the role

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Disagree

Has been establishing himself as a permanent member of the test side, plus doesn't need the extra responsibility in the process.

Looks like Haddin will play on till the world cup at least. A perfect time to groom Smith IMO would be the home series against India as v/c, with Haddin still around.

When is the last time we had a skipper who was a wickie ?

and I dont mean a VC stand in for an injured skipper

Umm, Adam Gilchrist

Oh captain not VC, my mistake

Disagree

Agreed.

Smith is only really establishing his spot in the team and has flourished after ditching the bowling full time so there's no need to place the responsibility of leadership on to him. Give him time to settle on his game and his place in international cricket first.

The problem is that when you look through the batting it seems like Warner and Smith are the safest of the batsman in the short to mid term. Not many stand out options for captaincy.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
^ LOL. beat me to it.

I think at the moment Smith seems the obvious choice cause of his age, and has got that ability. I thought he went well as captain in the Big Bash last summer.

TheParraboy

Staff member
When is the last time we had a skipper who was a wickie ?

and I dont mean a VC stand in for an injured skipper

Im assuming Haddin retires before Clarke

Smith gets the V/C reigns over Haddin next summer for experience and ready for when Clarke retires sometime (maybe a year or two) after the world cup in 2015

Though the ashes is also on in 2015, might be a retirement goal for Clarke, win the ashes on their soil, then retire? hell be only 34

JW

Coach
Yep, Smith through a disappointing lack of candidates.

Not saying he wouldn't be worthy of the job, but FM the cupboard is bare at present.

man2iel_

Juniors
Yep, Smith through a disappointing lack of candidates.

Not saying he wouldn't be worthy of the job, but FM the cupboard is bare at present.

Yeah, it's a concern let's be honest.

I remember when Tim Paine was being paraded as the "next Australian captain" pre-injury to his his hand(s) that saw Wade jump over him in the que as a keeper.

Latest posts