What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Year

Frailty

First Grade
I'm definitely looking forward to another off season of Fitzy saying that they're aware of what let them down in the finals and that they're addressing it only for nothing to have changed next season - just like he did last offseason.

To be honest, I didn't watch a game live after the team list was released following the demolition at the hands of the Storm and the exact same team was named. I'd watch replays or the Kayo minis, but my investment this season fell away significantly.

Changes I would love to see:
- Competition for hooker - Brailey can be great and has all the potential in the world, but he simply hasn't delivered on it. He needs to take the next step or the Sharks need to look elsewhere. In the interim, the club needs to be willing to drop him.
- Bye bye Moylan - one positive from the end of the season was Moylan not being gifted his spot. After last season, I could understand giving him the opportunity, but after the start of the season it was clear that Trindall was the better option. Instead, Fitz persisted until very late in the season to make the change.
- Talakai to bench - He definitely has great hands, but someone his size is so easily bumped off in defence it's ridiculous. Barely the damaging runner he was, and I feel like his conditioning wasn't the best. Let him come from the bench and go full blast for a stint and then head back to the bench.
- Willingness to drop players - It's clear that Fitzy is extremely loyal to a point where he won't drop players until they have underperformed for months. A lot of the time it's forced due to injury or 'injury'. We need to see higher level standard to be in the team. It doesn't matter how experienced you are, if you don't perform you don't get half a season to regain your form.

Dropped balls, pushed passes that are never on, stupid offloads that are also never on. Address that ffs, been going on for years.
Just going on our final game, the shortcomings that stuck out for me were poor game management, ability to recognise an advantage (in this case it was the left hand side) and the art of setting up for a field goal. These are mental / learning issues that need to be addressed.

DJDL

Bench
Just going on our final game, the shortcomings that stuck out for me were poor game management, ability to recognise an advantage (in this case it was the left hand side) and the art of setting up for a field goal. These are mental / learning issues that need to be addressed.

This is another one I just remembered.

It took the Rooters all of one tackle to recognise Tommy was injured and hobbling around in no man’s land behind the line. Our line was one man short so they start to spin it wide, and voila: try time.

Compare that to when Manu was clearly unable to run after popping his hammy again.
Not one pharquing play in an entire set was sent his way.

It beggars belief.

carinashark

First Grade
Speed, speed, speed…. We desperately lack it.

We’ve no pace off the mark, and no long range pace. Jack Williams is our only forward who has anything like quick feet - which means whilst we have good toilers, there’s no explosive oomph across the whole team.

We’re very samey samey across the whole park, no point of difference
We get Wilton back next year, Tom can only get quicker. Calhoun looks good for next year and we also have Dykes . Maybe Dykes can play hooker as we need to move BB on. The team needs to refresh.

Tiger Shark

Bench
We get Wilton back next year, Tom can only get quicker. Calhoun looks good for next year and we also have Dykes . Maybe Dykes can play hooker as we need to move BB on. The team needs to refresh.
Dykes at hooker?! Now I’ve heard everything. Complete waste of his skill set at hooker.

Frailty

First Grade
Boom Rookies podcast had a very good breakdown of the Sharks performance and weaknesses.

Identified the key points we have all said:
- Sharks need 2 big forwards. Toby, Hunt, etc are fine but they aren’t forwards you build your team behind.
- Hooker is a weakness. Opportunities in the game squandered by Brailey lack of running and over calling halves squandering scoring opportunities.
- Lack of awareness - Mistakes in really bad spots resulting in the try and field goal against, lack of urgency or awareness of the field goal.
- Zero games throughout the season where sharks won back and forth close game. Close games during season we’re getting a lead and then allowing teams to come back.
- When game was on the line, the team/spine outside of Hynes panicked.

It’s quite clear, so let’s hope the Sharks acknowledge it’s an issue and actually try to address it.

Don Tweddle

Juniors
Boom Rookies podcast had a very good breakdown of the Sharks performance and weaknesses.

Identified the key points we have all said:
- Sharks need 2 big forwards. Toby, Hunt, etc are fine but they aren’t forwards you build your team behind.
Fifth and Last podcast had a good season breakdown too.

They said we really need to move on Finucane (easier said than done) and use that money to buy a dynamic middle.

Also identified a lack of killer instinct & game management and rued that a large chunk of the year was wasted with Moylan at 6.

Craigshark

First Grade
Poster in the NRL forum saying we’re getting a new logo/rebrand for next year. Anyone heard anything about this?

Special K

Coach
I highly doubt it. We have just put a huge Sharks logo on the leagues club wall. Also on sharkcast our branding manager said it takes about 2 years to do a rebrand so I doubt you do that on the big wall entrance to the car park and then update it so soon.

I have heard we have a cracking retro jersey that will make some of us really happy.

Frailty

First Grade
I highly doubt it. We have just put a huge Sharks logo on the leagues club wall. Also on sharkcast our branding manager said it takes about 2 years to do a rebrand so I doubt you do that on the big wall entrance to the car park and then update it so soon.

I have heard we have a cracking retro jersey that will make some of us really happy.
About time we are getting a throwback to this beauty:
1694648391712.png

Poss

Juniors
I think something that has been somewhat overlooked this year was the injuries we had... compared to Broncos, Panthers etc...

Seemed like our forwards played musical chairs on the injury bench for the whole year. Toby, Royce, Dale, BHU, Wilton. Did we have any games where they were all available?

Season ending hamstring injury 6 weeks out from finals to arguably our biggest attacking x factor type player in Kennedy.

We were still not great on the whole... but that constant forward injury list must have made it hard to build any forward dominance and cohesiveness.

Tiger Shark

Bench
I think something that has been somewhat overlooked this year was the injuries we had... compared to Broncos, Panthers etc...

Seemed like our forwards played musical chairs on the injury bench for the whole year. Toby, Royce, Dale, BHU, Wilton. Did we have any games where they were all available?

Season ending hamstring injury 6 weeks out from finals to arguably our biggest attacking x factor type player in Kennedy.

We were still not great on the whole... but that constant forward injury list must have made it hard to build any forward dominance and cohesiveness.
I struggle to think a game where we had all our best middles in the 17. I think the last few rounds before BHU got injured might have been the best.

Maybe Rd 1 but think we didn't have Hunt in the earlier rounds ?

And obviously Toby was out for 12/13 weeks and never really got going

Frailty

First Grade
Parramatta. Round 3. Was a very back and forth, close game that we won.
Round 2, but fair point.
I would argue when a game is 30-26, it's not really a grind which was more to the point, though not clearly stated on my end.