What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Quiz

Forum Idiot

Bench
CanadianSteve said:
Forum Idiot said:
chiefs, colts, browns, bengals,oilers,bills????

Not the Colts and Browns - they were originally NFL teams, who joined the AFC when the 2 leagues merged, along with the Steelers. (The former AFL teams along with the 3 NFL teams became the AFC, while the rest of the old NFL stayed in the NFC.)

The Chiefs have won a Super Bowl, the 4th one, over the Vikings.

Bengals, Oilers (now Titans) and Bills are correct. The Bengals were an AFL expansion team, as were the Dolphins.

AFL teams that have won 1 or more SB's are Raiders, Chiefs, Jets, Dolphins, Broncos, and Patriots.

That leaves 1 more AFL team that has never won a Super Bowl. This team has appeared in one but lost badly.

chargers.

SHAGMOP

Juniors
way it brian griese? i remember the broncos had one of the best offensive records that year and i think it was due to the fact he threw the most yards? am i right?

Fin077

Juniors
Peyton Manning for the Colts?

Just on the side, it'll be interesting to see how his brother Eli goes in the NFL this season!

JVinAZ

Juniors
FYI all,

American Football is sometimes called Gridiron because at one time in its early development, the field had solid lines, I believe at 10 yd intervals, going the length of the field, in addition to the solid lines going side to side. These lines limited the movement of players across the across the field. The only modern remnant of these lines are the current hash marks.

The effect of solid lines covering both the leangth and breadth of the field, reminded people of a food broiler containing criss-cross metal rods, which was called a GRIDIRON.

BTW, the term gridiron as a name for American Football, is now used far more often outside of the US than by Americans.

JVinAZ

Juniors
If anyone is still playing, her is a question -

Name the 2 oldest current NFL franchises in contiuous operation. What were their original names?

I would've guessed Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers with the same names as now. Or did the Bears start out as the Canton Bulldogs?

JVinAZ

Juniors
The Bears are one of the two, but they did not play in Chicago (nor Canton), and they were not known as the Bears.

The other oldest team also once called Chicago home.

The Bears were the Decatur (Ill.) Staleys? I just remembered that. The other must be the Cardinals, who were in Chicago, then St. Louis, before moving to Arizona. I didn't think they were as old a franchise as that.

Being older, I still think of them as the St. Louis Cardinals, along with the LA Rams and Baltimore Colts, because that's where they were in the 70s and early 80s when I followed the NFL more closely.

I forgot about this thread. I suppose it's my turn.

What 2 Hall of Fame coaches were assistants with the NY Giants at the same time in the late 50's?

Latest posts