What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL will not exist in 30 years

DC_fan

Coach
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8889447

Bernard Pollard: NFL's future bleak

ESPN.com news services | January 28, 2013

Bernard Pollard has a bleak take on the future of the NFL.

SportsNation: Football's Bleak Future?
Bernard Pollard thinks the NFL might cease to exist in 30 years. Could you see a situation where the league might go out of business?
• Cast your vote!

• Hensley: Lets hope he's wrong

The hard-hitting Baltimore Ravens safety told CBSSports.com recently that he doesn't believe the league will be in existence in 30 years because of rules changes instituted in an effort to make the game safer, and the chance a player might die on the field as players continue to get stronger and faster.

"Thirty years from now, I don't think it will be in existence. I could be wrong. It's just my opinion, but I think with the direction things are going -- where [NFL rules makers] want to lighten up, and they're throwing flags and everything else -- there's going to come a point where fans are going to get fed up with it," he told the website.

"Guys are getting fined, and they're talking about, 'Let's take away the strike zone' and 'Take the pads off' or 'Take the helmets off.' It's going to be a thing where fans aren't going to want to watch it anymore."

The issue of football safety was on the mind of President Barack Obama recently when he told The New Republic in an interview for its Feb. 11 issue that, if he had a son, he would think long and hard before allowing him to play the sport.

Jared Wickerham/Getty Images
Bernard Pollard, who has earned the reputation of being one of the NFL's hardest-hitting safeties, doesn't believe the NFL will exist in 30 years.
Obama told the magazine that football fans are going to have to wrestle with the fact that the game will probably change over time to try to reduce the violence.

The president says that some of those changes might make football, in his words, "a bit less exciting" but that it will be much better for players.

"And those of us who are fans maybe won't have to examine our consciences quite as much," he said.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello responded to Obama's comments Sunday, saying the NFL has "no higher priority than player health and safety at all levels of the game."

Pollard said he understands the movement to make the game safer for players, but coaches are looking for players who are "stronger and faster year in and year out. And that means you're going to keep getting big hits and concussions and blown-out knees.

"The only thing I'm waiting for ... and, Lord, I hope it doesn't happen ... is a guy dying on the field. We've had everything else happen there except for a death. We understand what we signed up for, and it sucks," he told the website.

Pollard has a reputation for big hits. He was fined $15,250 for unnecessary roughness last week for his third-quarter hit on New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker in the Ravens' AFC Championship Game victory.

Pollard received a 15-yard penalty on the play for striking an opponent in the head and neck area.

He also forced a crucial fumble, however, by knocking running back Stevan Ridley out of that game. He was not penalized or fined for the hit on Ridley.

Information from ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss was used in this report.

Raider_69

Post Whore
cant see it ever happening in my life time
the league and the owners make too much money off it and thats unlikely to change in the next 30-50 or 100 years.

@MarTiger

Juniors
I saw this reported on Mike and Mike In The Morning on ESPN2. I think it's an overreaction. Sure the game will evolve in terms of player safety as it has done, though the sport will not go the way of the dinosaur.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Just needs to say VFL will take over..................

Americans love thier football.

DC_fan

Coach
The game has to be made safer to play. If not then I don't see it being around in 30 years.

Players today are bigger, faster and stronger then what they were 20 years ago. I would hate to think what they will be like in 2040. Rules to do with player protection will have to change. Protective gear will have to be a hundred times better.

Everyone loves to see a big hit. It gets us out of our seat. But when you see a player laying there, obviously hurt you begin to think will he get up.

The last thing the NFL or any sport needs is a death on the field. Unless rules are changed, its not a matter of if but more of when.

Big Mick

Referee
Soon as the HGH testing comes in...miraculously all the players who are "Clean" will become smaller and the hits will become less vicious.

Also technology will advance. Big Ben stated this new helmet he has been playing with has resulted in no concussions while taking similar hits to ones where he got concussions with his previous helmet.

I think as technology advances and HGH is banned...we'll see less risk and injuries and the game with go on.

DC_fan

Coach
Soon as the HGH testing comes in...miraculously all the players who are "Clean" will become smaller and the hits will become less vicious.

Also technology will advance. Big Ben stated this new helmet he has been playing with has resulted in no concussions while taking similar hits to ones where he got concussions with his previous helmet.

I think as technology advances and HGH is banned...we'll see less risk and injuries and the game with go on.

Some members of Congress are putting the pressure on for testing of players for HGH.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It's crazy how people hype things up so much. Reminds me of some Raiders moron saying the Broncos would need to play a season at Ballymore because the flood damage to Lang Park was so severe :crazy:

Danish

Referee

Was just about to post the same thing. They aren't bigger and faster naturally, they are on the gear.

Start testing seriously for steroids/HGH and they'll solve most of their issues.

Change the padding allowed. Remove all hard shell pads along with helmets and suddenly they'll have to start tackling each other like men, as opposed to like battering rams.

adamkungl

Immortal

The president says that some of those changes might make football, in his words, "a bit less exciting" but that it will be much better for players.

Christ almighty, it's the same f**king stupid attitude that will eventually result in Rugby League becoming a watered-down skirtfest.

dogslife

Coach
20120929004552!Sarcastaball13.png

Big Tim

First Grade
Change the padding allowed. Remove all hard shell pads along with helmets and suddenly they'll have to start tackling each other like men, as opposed to like battering rams.

Nice cast, I will bite.

What about the LOS. Those players make alot of contact head first. Remove their helmets and they wont have head clashes???

Short sighted, and suggested by somebody who doesnt understand the game.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
LOS would just have to adapt to no helmets or wear a soft padding on their head to reduce damage should a head clash occur. RL headgear would be perfect.

Big Tim

First Grade
LOS would just have to adapt to no helmets or wear a soft padding on their head to reduce damage should a head clash occur. RL headgear would be perfect.

The football helmet is an integral part of the sport.

1. It is a marketing tool. How many times do you see the opposing teams helmets on the desk of the sports show?

2. It is for safety.

3. Blocking would be useless without a helmet.

The helmet will not leave the sport, it is the very identity of Football.

Danish

Referee
Nice cast, I will bite.

What about the LOS. Those players make alot of contact head first. Remove their helmets and they wont have head clashes???

Short sighted, and suggested by somebody who doesnt understand the game.

They can adapt. The game was played without helmets previously and it can be played without them now.

Having said that I am very much against bastardising a game purely for stupid safety reasons. Now that the research is out there they should simply ensure that players are aware of the risks and sign waivers absolving the league of responsibility. Set up a "men of league" style organisation funded by the league to assist struggling ex-players with medical bills and be done with it.

They really do need to start bringing in more stringent drug testing though. the amount of HGH being used in the NFL would be ridiculous

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The football helmet is an integral part of the sport.

1. It is a marketing tool. How many times do you see the opposing teams helmets on the desk of the sports show?

2. It is for safety.

3. Blocking would be useless without a helmet.

The helmet will not leave the sport, it is the very identity of Football.

I know it won't but my response was for the guy who said LOS would be the obstacle to removing the padding and helmets.

I think the helmets and pads make the game less safe just like boxing gloves make boxing less safe.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Now that the research is out there they should simply ensure that players are aware of the risks and sign waivers absolving the league of responsibility.

I think that will be the way of the future for all collision sports tbh. When you sign your first professional contract, it will include a waiver against making claims for every and any injury, long or short term, sustained during the course of the contract and every contract there after will have that waiver.

You can only go so far in protecting the players without taking away from the sport, and once you start taking away from the sport, you lose fans, so you lose sponsors and you then lose money.

Everyone loses