What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT- Favourite 'Old' Song

Misanthrope

Staff member
We need more NFT topics, and since I've been listening to a lot of 'older' music lately, I thought I'd see what everyone else likes.

'Romeo and Juliet' Dire Straits

Anything by Paul Young, Phil Collins, or Sting. My Dad played the stuff to death when I was younger, so the three artists are basically drilled into my music appreciation psyche.

'Your Song' by Elton John gets a little play as well. But mostly it's Dire Straits.

Alex28

Coach
depends what you call "old" music...

Revolution and I Am The Walrus are my fave Beatles tracks - I'm not massive on the Beatles but can appreciate their place in the musical world.

Hmmm...where do I start - i heard 'Sabotage' by the Beastie Boys the other day and thought 'damn...thats a great track. what have they become???' (i dont like the new Beasties stuff). Early Crowded House is great. 'Murmur' by REM is a great album. I love old Pixies stuff - everybody should buy 'Wave of Mutilation' (best of album) and discover the genius of this band. If we are talking ten years or older the "The Bends" by Radiohead is one of the best albums ever. Metal - 'One' by Metallica first got me into heavier music and helped shape what i listen to now...

As you can see Chris I need some direction...how old are you classing as old?

axie

Juniors
Have to agree with Alex28 on the Beastie Boys, it's been downhill since they released Hello Nasty.

For the *old* songs I can't go past Fly me to the moon by Frank Sanatra is one of my old favourites, In my room by The Beach Boys, Strawberry Fields by The Beetles ... hell, most I love most earily Beach Boys and Beetles songs.

For semi old stuff, Elderly woman behind a counter in a small town, indifference by Pearl Jam, By my side, Shining Star by INSX ... hell most of INSX's stuff, Lemon, Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car by U2, oh yah and every song done by Crowded House~

I could go on for hours ...

axie

Juniors
My Favourite when i was a kid was 'My achy bracky heart' by Billy Ray Cyrus. Absolute killer that one!

Why do I get the overwhelming urge to hurt people every time I hear that song? I've also heard it was the real reason for the 9/11 attacks ...

Cowboy Fan

Juniors
I may be a youngster but I love the Australian 80s music I like any song by the Oils, Chisel, Barnesy and Mossy in there solo careers, Inxs, Aussie Crawl, Braithwaite, Reyne, etc. They are the best IMO, I get given heaps for liking the older music and not getting into the new stuff.

oh man so many to choose from! A lot of New Wave stuff from the 80s for sure..

Dance Hall Days- Wang Chung
99 Luftballoons- Nena
Kids in America- Kim Wilde
Fairytale of New York- The Pogues
Fascination- Human League
Anything by Belinda Carlisle and Blondie
anything by Bob Marley
lots of stuff by the beatles
Vincent- Don McLean/Cat Stevens
Total Eclipse of the heart- some wierd skank
all songs by the hair bands like motley crue, Van Halen and poison.

and for punk songs:

Black Flag: TV Party, Nervous Breakdown, Rise Above
Pistols: Anarchy, God Save The Queen, Pretty Vacant, EMI, Salvation
Ramones: Beat on the Brat, Rock n Roll High School, Blitzkrieg Bop
Lots of Descendents songs

umm i have more but cant think of them

astrogirl

First Grade
chriswalkerbush said:
I guess 'old' means anything pre 1990s.
Girls just wanna have fun, Cyndi Lauper
Slow Hand, Pointer Sisters - is one of my all time favourites
I've still got the blues, Gary Moore
Early Madonna stuff such as Material girl and Into the groove
I used to like the Bangles and Bananarama when I was a little girl
The Eagles
I like Phil Collins too :oops: (that's influence from my mum)
The Beatles - their really early stuff like She Loves You, Love Me Do etc

Razor

Coach
A lot of 80s music

Belind Carlise - Heaven Is A Place On Earth, Summer Rain
Cindi Lauper - True Colors, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Time After Time
Martika - Toy Soilders
Starship - Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now, Sara, We Built This City

Are probably my favourites

Late 70s Meat Loaf and Styx as well. Early 90s Meat Loaf was good, but all of Meat Loafs 80s stuff wasn't that good.

Terminator

First Grade
Hell Bitch said:
"Maggie"

Dont know who wrote it, maybe Burl Ives or someone.
Rod Stewart

Most of the stuff from the eighties, mostly from the earlier part 81 to 85, the new romantics part of the decade.
Aussie Bands from the eighies like Mondo Rock, Radiators, Mental as anything, Cold Chisel but best of all Aussie Crawl.
Older stuff Frank Sinatra, 'fly me to the moon' is a great song, as is 'I did it my way' , Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, The 4 Seasons still sound brilliant.
And like others here have said there is simply too much material.

astrogirl

First Grade
Terminator said:
Aussie Bands from the eighies like Mondo Rock, Radiators, Mental as anything, Cold Chisel but best of all Aussie Crawl.
Older stuff Frank Sinatra, 'fly me to the moon' is a great song, as is 'I did it my way' , Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, The 4 Seasons still sound brilliant.
How could I forget!!!

Live it up is one of my all time favourites!

Doctor

Bench
Anything by REM -- except for their current two songs which are crap (Animal and Bad Day). They've lost momentum, but if they are classified as "oldies" then they get my vote.

Terminator

First Grade
Bad days a great song, I like that Rem hitsong that came out in 01, man it was good cant remember the name but.

Doctor

Bench
Terminator said:
Bad days a great song, I like that Rem hitsong that came out in 01, man it was good cant remember the name but.

The Great Beyond? I like it too, it's very catchy. I also find it appropriate to sing when I'm pushing the odd elephant up the stairs. It's handy having a song to sing about it ;-)

Terminator

First Grade
No that one came out in 99, yeah I loved the pushing the elephant song I remember because me and the pommys at work used to sing it, this was their next big song, it had a strange video clip of a party around a pool, where everyone was miming bits of the song with Stipes voice over.
Quite a nice sounding song actually.