What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice piece on Willis Meehan

bellyache

Bench
WILLIS Meehan is travelling towards Coolangatta Airport but everyone in the car knows the giant Roosters teenager is really on the road to becoming the best all-round sportsman in Australia.

Meehan has just finished a torrid sparring session with the world’s No.1 heavyweight contender Alex Leapai and is being interviewed by The Courier-Mail as he heads home.

A few hours later, after his flight to Sydney, and still sore from the boxing, he will set up a 15th-minute try for skipper Alex Thomas as the Roosters under-20 side crushes the Junior Bulldogs 44-12 at Allianz Stadium on Friday night.

This week Meehan is in Fremantle, ready to defend the Australian super-heavyweight boxing title in the Commonwealth Games trials.

He won the title last year, aged just 17, with a one-sided victory over 29-year-old Johan Linde, a 198cm London Olympian.

At 195cm and 116kg, Meehan has already been described as another Sonny Bill Williams — but one who can actually fight and at just 18 is one of the most astonishing athletic talents in the country.

The Roosters allowed their hard-running young giant to spend last week on the Gold Coast, where he sparred 14 rounds with Leapai during the Brisbane strongman’s preparations to face world champ Wladimir Klitschko in Germany on April 27.

Meehan landed his share of good punches over the week and Leapai declared that ``Willis is an enormous talent — a guy who can be absolute champion in both boxing and rugby league.’’

But Meehan says the best punch he ever landed was as a seven-year-old when he was rough-housing with his father, Kali, in the backyard of their home at Wyong, north of Sydney.

A monster roundhouse to the ribs knocked the wind out of his dad, no mean effort considering that same year Kali Meehan went within a whisker of winning the WBO version of the world heavyweight title from Klitschko’s conqueror Lamon Brewster in Las Vegas.

“I learned to fight by boxing my older brother (fellow Rooster Louis Meehan) in the backyard,’’ Willis said.

“Louis was always 10kg heavier than me growing up and he has a right hand like a whip. If I didn’t learn to duck it would be `whoosh’ and my head would go spinning.’’

Kali Meehan, 43, played representative rugby league for the Central Coast and his boys started out there for the Wyong Roos.

Willis has had long discussions with the Roosters about becoming the first top-grade footballer to fight at the Commonwealth Games and Olympics. He is already eyeing another slice of sporting history.

``If Alex Leapai can take the world title this month I’ll be happy that I played a small part in history,’’ he said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226877624841

Chook

First Grade
I reckon we'll end up losing this kid to boxing. From all reports he's got a big future in that farce of a sport, but when it comes to dollars Rugby League will never be able to compete with the amount of corrupt coin in boxing.

Chook.

He destroyed the Cutters' forward pack today (on debut too I think) and scored himself a double

Newtown play at the SFS on Saturday afternoon so people have a chance to see him play in the NSW Cup, he will surely be playing for them again this week after today.

Tommy Smith

Referee
More reason why I was baffled we went hard for Proctor.

This kid is developing quickly and can be a force in the NRL as early as next year.

Napa is also more adept in the backrow at this stage of his career, too.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
He got beat in the finals of the Commonwealth Games trials, so hopefully that means he concentrates on footy from here on in..

Tommy Smith

Referee
Named 18th man this week.

Shows just how quickly he is progressing.

What a weapon he'd be off the bench!

Parkway_Drive

Juniors
I checked zero tackle today...it said he is off contract at the end of the year. Does anyone know what the is the latest with Meehan??

Parkway_Drive

Juniors
With the experienced hard men of JWH and Moa leading the way plus the emergence of Napa, Evans, Liu and Meehan. Then we have the workaholic Casty (when he can get on the field), Guerra who can play tight or edge and the occasional cameo from the wrecking ball our front row and middle third rotation is looking quite awesome....We will be a force to be reckoned with for a few more years and sending the Burgii one by one to Rah-Rah.

Latest posts