What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Night terrors and Sleep Paralysis.

alien

Referee
For as long as I can remember I've occasionally suffered from sleep paralysis, it can happen both when I'm falling asleep and when I am waking up. The weird thing is that when it happens while I'm falling asleep I feel like some weird type of creature is on top of me strangling me or trying to suffocate me. I have also hallucination during these episodes in the past.

Over the past few years it's gotten weirder, I wake up terrified, my heart is pounding, elevated breathing etc, I suddenly become aware of how vulnerable to attack I am, I become terrified something or someone will jump through my window and murder me. When I am awake and fully conscious this is never in my head, I walk home alone at any time of night without any fear, but for some reason in that state I become terrified.

Does anybody have any experience with these problems?

from as early as i can remember (from when i was a very young child) i can remember suddenly waking up and hearing this very strange sound and feeling terrified, and i knew it was happening again. i couldn't move, i couldn't call out, and i couldn't even open my eyes. most people who experience similar things say they experience it when they sleep on their backs, but i normally sleep on my side, and most times that it has happened to me, i have been sleeping on my side. people say they hallucinate and see things when it happens, but i wasn't able to see anything because i couldn't open my eyes at all, but i felt VERY conscious because i could hear something and could feel something poking me in the back, and sometimes neck. a few times it even felt like a needle sticking into my back or neck. the only time i could actually see anything during these experiences was when it included having out-of-body experiences. these experiences were definitely the most frightening experiences that i have ever experienced and it happened regularly until around my late 20s. since then, it hasn't occurred that often and maybe it's because i didn't allow myself to be afraid anymore - i felt angry instead. when it happens, alot of people feel like there is an entity (like a demon) and that's what it felt like to me, so even though i couldn't speak, in my mind i was telling it to f**k off and i just felt anger towards it, and since i started doing that, the experiences hardly ever happen anymore. if these entities are real then i would say they feed on the energy of fear. i've always been told they are just "bad dreams" or "sleep paralysis", but it feels very real. what ever it is, it's f**ked! lol

Last edited:

God-King Dean

Immortal
I personally don't get that feeling someone is there, but many people get what you just described.

71T5eQuMCJL._SX425_.jpg

There are many painting displaying the feeling, the most famous above being 'The Nightmare' done in the 18th century.

I f**king hate sleep paralysis, without doubt it's the scariest thing that's ever happened to me. I've had it more in the last 6 or so months then ever before.

I don't get the hallucinations though, so there's a positive.

Last edited:
Suffered from sleep paralysis a handful of times, never felt a presence, just a terrifying inability to move.

alien

Referee
this is what "angry grandpa" says about experiences he has had, which sounds similar

[youtube]yJQFEah91yU[/youtube]

Misanthrope

Staff member
I've found lately I wake up on occasion suddenly and see either a large spider crawling on whatever surface I first look at or a figure standing over my bed. They generally persist for 5-10 seconds before I'm sure they're gone. So weird.

I've found lately I wake up on occasion suddenly and see either a large spider crawling on whatever surface I first look at or a figure standing over my bed. They generally persist for 5-10 seconds before I'm sure they're gone. So weird.
Actually now that I think of it I did see a massively large spider in the corner of my room a couple of weeks ago, I thought it was just in a dream but may have been this.

alien

Referee

does the figure look like a shadow???

Latest posts