What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale its time.

Gareth67

First Grade
I find it hard to criticise Nighty because of what he has given and done for this club but I hope 2019 doesn't become a year where Nighty slowly erodes his status and reputation.

Buddy - it's occurring this year , now . He has been a hell for of a player for many years, but the time has come and gone for him to be replaced with someone younger whom has good defence and speed . The coach MUST addressed this NOW as we cannot afford to have so many tries being scored on his wing .

Frank Facer

First Grade
It is a plain as day that other teams are targeting our right side. That is our weakness. Many posters on this site identified our right said as our weakness at the beginning of the season and nothing has changed.

It isn't just our weakness in defence it is our weakness in attack too. Nightingale has only scored one try this season. That is unacceptable for a winger playing in the team leading the comp and which has scored the most points this season. Nightingale hasn't scored in the last 10 games.
Here is a clip that Nightingale would relate to now.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx_ZNn-_klk

Last edited:

Mattc

Juniors
In over 40 years of watching the Dragons, Nighty is up there with my favourite players of all time.
However, it’s obvious his time is up.
Still occasionally does some good things, mostly due to his experience and grit, but he is so far off the pace it’s not funny.
It will only get worse as opposition teams continue to target him. My heart is hoping he proves me wrong, but my head is saying this is not the last time we will all be having this debate.
On a practical level, wouldn’t it be easier for Lomax to come into a winning side

Frank Facer

First Grade
In over 40 years of watching the Dragons, Nighty is up there with my favourite players of all time.
Still occasionally does some good things, mostly due to his experience and grit, but he is so far off the pace it’s not funny.
It will only get worse as opposition teams continue to target him. My heart is hoping he proves me wrong, but my head is saying this is not the last time we will all be having this debate.
On a practical level, wouldn’t it be easier for Lomax to come into a winning side
Yes it would be easier for Lomax to come into a winning side, but Aitken still wouldn't pass him the ball.

That 1st try was Nighty and all Nighty.
People can't blame Aitken for that.

Nighty had to move up.
Not in and stay back.
We have a glaring weakness on that side which is not only about Nightingale.
Why doesn't McGregor do something about it???
We waste our breath on this forum lambasting Nightingale talking about how slow he is and how he's ruining his legacy etc. etc. while we continue to concede lots of tries down that side.
At some point it stops becoming the players' fault and the responsibility of fixing the problem, lies fairly and squarely with the coach.

Bench
I doubt whether Nightingale will be dropped from a winning team but it needs to happen sooner then later. Teams are targeting him every game and it will cost us. But I will say it again no one is challenging for his spot

AJB1102

First Grade
I have not read any of this thread but seen it on the recent comments bit on the side.

Nightingale has been a terrific player and great servant of the club over a very long time. Unfortunately too much time. It pains me to say it but you filthy merkins are a premiership force... *gulp-spew-gulp*... but he is your weakest link by a country mile.

Basically, that merkin gotta go!

Even the Raiders.. Did you get that, Mary? EVEN the f**ken RAIDERS knew just target Nightingale.

It'll be a hard goodbye but one that just has to happen.

possm

Coach
Nah don't worry about 2019, he's doing a stellar job of it in 2018.

This idea of letting a player retain his first grade position week after week because in the past he has been a great clubman is stupid. Nightingale received an extension in recognition of his service. He will be paid the same whether he is in first grade or reserve grade. It's time for him to mentor the up-and-coming young guns in reserve grade.

ouryears

Bench
This idea of letting a player retain his first grade position week after week because in the past he has been a great clubman is stupid. Nightingale received an extension in recognition of his service. He will be paid the same whether he is in first grade or reserve grade. It's time for him to mentor the up-and-coming young guns in reserve grade.
Well he isn't a selector, and he keeps on being picked.

If I was picked i would get my gear on and give it a go, so we can't blame nighty for the team sheet each Tuesday Arvo.

BennyV

Referee
I have not read any of this thread but seen it on the recent comments bit on the side.

Nightingale has been a terrific player and great servant of the club over a very long time. Unfortunately too much time. It pains me to say it but you filthy merkins are a premiership force... *gulp-spew-gulp*... but he is your weakest link by a country mile.

Basically, that merkin gotta go!

Even the Raiders.. Did you get that, Mary? EVEN the f**ken RAIDERS knew just target Nightingale.

It'll be a hard goodbye but one that just has to happen.
Lol this. We are lucky the spastic wearing the green 7 jersey thought Whitehead had more chance of getting past Friz! But the first 5 minutes showed how simple it is to get through our right edge, and that try was 100% on Nightingale. The right side was marked up, but he retreated and failed to shut it down.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Buddy - it's occurring this year , now . He has been a hell for of a player for many years, but the time has come and gone for him to be replaced with someone younger whom has good defence and speed . The coach MUST addressed this NOW as we cannot afford to have so many tries being scored on his wing .

Agree nightys time has come.
Put lomax in let see what he got.
He is training the house down.
But just moving nighty on, Will not solve the defensive problems.
It is equally atken and hunt fault.
Even frizz is to blame as well.
The whole side need to adjust .
They need to stay on there player and only jam in as a total unit.
We are going one up one back and nighty is getting isolated.
If we put lomax in without fixing the problem the tries will continue to come.

jak

Bench
Agree nightys time has come.
Put lomax in let see what he got.
He is training the house down.
But just moving nighty on, Will not solve the defensive problems.
It is equally atken and hunt fault.
Even frizz is to blame as well.
The whole side need to adjust .
They need to stay on there player and only jam in as a total unit.
We are going one up one back and nighty is getting isolated.
If we put lomax in without fixing the problem the tries will continue to come.
your right most of the problems are inside nightie.

RufusRex

Post Whore
a bloke with a bit of toe may be about to make up for the errors inside though … nighty's lack of pace compounds the issue … A faster stronger bloke can leave a bit more space between him and the centre, a faster stronger bloke can stay in touch with the outside..

a few of the tries whilst created by issues inside could have still been stopped on the edge with a bit more pace.

However, there are 3 or 4 examples this season already where tries have been missed because Nighty was unable to finish them …

Lovemedragons

Juniors

I will bet my house that if and when they drop Nightingale it will not make one difference to the apparent issues on out right side, at least in defence. Only saw one try in 80 minutes go down that way yesterday despite many many raids, and yes that was his fault as he missed the tackle - plenty of tackles missed yesterday by others.

However if and when they do drop him it will rip the soul from the team, you can bet on that.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The issue with replacing Nightingale (and I agree its becoming time) is with whom?
The hype around Lomax is immense but what is it based on? I've read he is ready, again based on what? 3 mins of game time and remember he hasnt played a full game for 5 weeks now and if he doesnt play (in any grade) next weekend to throw him in would be jusf madness.
Like Lomax the other contenders, Herbert, Garrick and Periera are also rookies and all have defensive issues.
Nighty's time is fast running out, but there is no-one putting up their hand to say pick me! And please dont say Lomax because, as i said, he hasnt played for 5 weeks.

Belta

Juniors
Dragonslayer said;

"The issue with replacing Nightingale (and I agree its becoming time) is with whom?
The hype around Lomax is immense but what is it based on? I've read he is ready, again based on what? 3 mins of game time and remember he hasnt played a full game for 5 weeks now and if he doesnt play (in any grade) next weekend to throw him in would be jusf madness.
Like Lomax the other contenders, Herbert, Garrick and Periera are also rookies and all have defensive issues.
Nighty's time is fast running out, but there is no-one putting up their hand to say pick me! And please dont say Lomax because, as i said, he hasnt played for 5 weeks."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good point Dragonslayer. The fact we have had no injuries is in some ways is unfortunate as these guys have not been exposed to first grade. I can't see State of Origin providing many chances for our backs either (possibly only Hunt being picked , maybe Aitkin) There is no doubt in time Nighty will be replaced, I would of preferred he'd been given a rest before now but in all honesty I feel the urgency and hysteria over Nighty is a little exaggerated when you considering the results so far this year. Again I would of preferred it different but Lomax and the like are still young (and unproven) They just have to be patient and keep working hard, their chances will come, they just have to make sure they are ready (as Dufty has shown)