What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale

Dragsters

First Grade
As far as contracts are concerned nighty said in an interview he is happy to do what's best for the club and is not looking for a massive payday but is happy to take whatever the club thinks he is worth (or words to that effect) and then retire and do "whatever".

There are 2 wingers and most teams have one flyer and one finisher just like when we had bmoz and flo and won a title.

Plus I reckon with all the rookies coming through, keeping some experience will be invaluable.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
As far as contracts are concerned nighty said in an interview he is happy to do what's best for the club and is not looking for a massive payday but is happy to take whatever the club thinks he is worth (or words to that effect) and then retire and do "whatever".

There are 2 wingers and most teams have one flyer and one finisher just like when we had bmoz and flo and won a title.

Plus I reckon with all the rookies coming through, keeping some experience will be invaluable.

Spot on

SEAT 1A

Bench

Go to dig the Flo. Top shelf bloke.

possm

Coach
Has he played one year to many ?
For me I don't see him as a starter this year I'd like to see
1. Dufty (attacking flare we need and speed)
2. MacDonald ( can score a try and a big body)
3. Milne ( aggressive attacking player)
4. Dugan ( more opportunities with good ball )
5. Mann ( showed he can score a try and has speed and sharpness)
6. Field ( attacking flare we need with speed to burn)
7. Widdop ( experience hopefully can step up and lead the younger guys with Dugan )
Also I would have Aiken as a back rower running on the edges
What do you guys think ?????
Nice line-up.

ALSGI

Bench
Guys, I want to point out that I absolutely admire Nighty through and through, club legend and a gentleman.

I started the Nightingale 2017 thread a while ago and there was the same spread of for and against, the same respect for him but interestingly the sway is turning against in opinions after only 3 rounds from the off season.

His first carry last week he was driven back at least 5m or more. Yes he was solid afterwards in taking the early hit ups off our line, taking pressure of our returning forwards but ineffective in terms of threatening the line or making any metres, let alone posing a threat to a long distance try or creating anything. Unlike Nene for example. Nighty was easy meat, wasted tackle imo.

Experience, leadership, consistency and mentoring is his best asset now imo. 3 or 4 others in our squad that should be starters on the wing ahead of him this year Imo.

6 tries last year, 5 the year before, 15 the year before......How many will he score this year? I sincerely hope he's not the first winger to do the nudey run in his last year.

How many tries could Field, Dufty etc score from the wing - not just from break away tries or anywhere on the field, but attacking options from kicks behind the defence etc Yes, the youngsters will let a few in whilst they learn, but who f**king cares!!!!!

Nighty, my family, mates and I love you brother but time to make room mate so we can turn the number 5 into a weapon again that the opposition fears.

loveoursaints

Juniors
7. Widdop ( experience hopefully can step up and lead the younger guys with Dugan )
Crap post.....done to death already. You are leap years behind! This is all old news. Wake up.

F

Field is a must at 5/8 he's just so deadly...theres no way any opposition will be sleeping easy w Field lining up against them - nothing can replace the speed he has...like its off the chain what he brings to the table and his passing game is just as exceptional..
Mann to left centre where he played w Melbourne but i still think McGregor will start w Lafai - may be Mann to the bench ?
Agree.

SaintHarry

Juniors
He has to sit out for abit especially at the beginning of the year we need to put someone quicker and is willing to take the risk he is reliable at most

blacksafake

First Grade
Like shooting Bambi.
He deserves to go out on his terms. People complain about how much the game has changed with no loyalty, it's a business now etc. At least we can have a bit of sentimentality still.
Can't we?

possm

Coach
There comes a time in every players career when it's better to retire and be remembered for the great things they've done. That time has arrived for Nightingale.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
I like your thinking.

I do think you may be correct about Nightingale playing one year to many.

I do not know if Dufty or Field are ready for first grade yet. I do think either or both of them would add some greatly needed attacking flair to our team.

Milne should have been the first center chosen by Mary.

A centre pairing of Milne and Dugan is very good in my opinion

I was hoping Widdop could lead the team around and take on the dominate playmaker role, from the day we signed him, unfortunately he has failed to step up and take on that role.

I agree that Aikten looks best suited to an edge backrower, but he lacks size for a forward.

BrissyRedV

Bench
How many tries could Field, Dufty etc score from the wing - not just from break away tries or anywhere on the field, but attacking options from kicks behind the defence etc Yes, the youngsters will let a few in whilst they learn, but who f**king cares!!!!!
Thus far, both our wingers have been starved of ball, so I would suggest that if we are only talking about tries from attacking formations, then I would say they would be on the duck egg as well just as MacDonald is. Flo is a great finisher but the ball is not getting past the fullback or centres on the sweeping plays or he is being given the ball in hopeless situations.

As for his dummy half running, he still eats metres up, keeps his feet really well and is one of the best at getting quick plays. It amazes me how often he can get a play the ball quickly in a position he has no right to. The reason he had 15 tries in 2014 was he had a fullback in the 2nd half of the season that could pass the ball. His centre, being Dugan, actually had more try assists that year at centre than he did for the whole next year as fullback and Flo was a beneficiary of those TAs. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him.

Old Timer

Coach
Nighty is not a LW player.
He must be played as a RW if played at all.
As I say if Mary doesn't want 2 short ares on the 1 side in defence then if you want Nighty in the team Aitken has to go to the other centre or reggies.
All very simple really

BrissyRedV

Bench
Nighty is not a LW player.
He must be played as a RW if played at all.
As I say if Mary doesn't want 2 short ares on the 1 side in defence then if you want Nighty in the team Aitken has to go to the other centre or reggies.
All very simple really
Indeed. He should never have been moved from the right.

Latest posts