What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

how do you swing a golf club with these getting in the way

Golf_tits.jpg
I dunno. I reckon she would help your stroke.

Haynzy

First Grade
https://thebaffler.com/latest/new-atheisms-idiot-heirs-nichols

I’m just going to leave this here so that we can fight over who fits the bill.

New Atheism’s Idiot Heirs
An irritating rhetoric meets the dumbest possible ideology

IN THE HEYDAY OF THE INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD, let’s say in the 1990s, a certain species of idiot materialized. He was male, aggressively pedantic, self-professedly logical, committed to the hard sciences, prone to starting sentences with “actually,” and almost always devoted to the notion that his disbelief in God imbued him with intellectual superiority. This archetype’s golden years were the 2000s, a decade that saw George W. Bush’s politicized creationism and the use of web forums peak in unison. Once that decade ended, the internet tired of his antics and made him central to a series of in-jokes —“neckbeard” described his less-than-stellar grooming habits; and his hat of choice, the fedora, became the butt of innumerable jokes during Obama’s first term. No longer needed or tolerated, this misunderstood paragon of Enlightenment-core values began a journey that brought him to the worst possible destination: the Republican Party.

Etc,etc .... it’s quite a long article.

Bazal

Post Whore

IN THE HEYDAY OF THE INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD, let’s say in the 1990s, a certain species of idiot materialized. He was male, aggressively pedantic, self-professedly logical, committed to the hard sciences, prone to starting sentences with “actually,” and almost always devoted to the notion that his disbelief in God imbued him with intellectual superiority. This archetype’s golden years were the 2000s, a decade that saw George W. Bush’s politicized creationism and the use of web forums peak in unison. Once that decade ended, the internet tired of his antics and made him central to a series of in-jokes —“neckbeard” described his less-than-stellar grooming habits; and his hat of choice, the fedora, became the butt of innumerable jokes during Obama’s first term. No longer needed or tolerated, this misunderstood paragon of Enlightenment-core values began a journey that brought him to the worst possible destination: the Republican Party.

Actually.....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep. You still see it a fair bit, the whole atheism-makes-me-smart but it's no more useful than thinking expensive toys make you rich or shrieking left wing political tropes makes you a good person.

If you do it for public consumption it's performative. That overrides any intended meaning.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yep. You still see it a fair bit, the whole atheism-makes-me-smart but it's no more useful than thinking expensive toys make you rich or shrieking left wing political tropes makes you a good person.

If you do it for public consumption it's performative. That overrides any intended meaning.
Old mate who wrote that long winded article could have summarised it down to this.

Gronk

Staff member

I follow him on twitter. He's a bit of a knob shiner. But anyway.

Gronk

Staff member

"New Atheism" merkins like Richard Dawkins were militants and gave "non-believers" a bad name.

Not entirely convinced however that he successfully argued that an on-line 2017 version of him are what he calls "theocrats and climate deniers".

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Dawkins might be a militant and general Trump-like bully, but he is certainly not stupid.

But I agree it's odd how logic and reason are now used by the right to harass the left. For a while there it was seemed the other way around.

Latest posts