What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nona

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Widdop, Nona, McCrone and Mann are all off contract this year.
So we do need a 5/8 for next year
If Field excels in The Cutters and then in the top grade then he will be the logical choice as first picked in 2018. However, you do need a back-up, someone who can come into the squad as a 6 or 7 in case of injury, suspension or even rep duties.
No one is going to sign with us as a "reserve" half, particularly a big name player, so really who out of the lot mentioned above would you keep? And keep in mind the ambition would be to play regular top level footy.
IMO:
Widdop: unless he has a blinder this year, which I strongly doubt, then no, I wouldn't re-sign him and given he is currently the starting 5/8 he would probably look elsewhere if Field was #1 choice. So scratch Widdop
McCrone: is more of a 7 not a 6 although there isn't a great deal of difference these days, I think he's more suited as a reserve half/hooker and if re-signed will play for the Cutters only. I think he will try his luck in the ESL as his "retirement" plan. No I wouldn't re-sign him.
Mann: fir mine a great utility option and I would re-sign him now. Can cover fullback, centre, wing and in the halves. Yes a keeper. But would he re-sign given he'd probably want a weekly top level gig.
Nona: can play 6 or 7 but mainly a 6. Goal kicker and has a nice pass and kick game but does do some unexplained things. This guy would be happy with 5 or so top games a year. So yeah I wouls re-sign him as the reser e half as he has no real expectation other than want.

So for mine Mann and Nona need to be given an opportunity to audition for the "reserve" half spot fir next year. However, I don't think Mann would re-sign kniwing he'd be only getting 5 or so games a year in top grade. He should be in the 17 in any case but where?
Again all this is supposition and relies on the fact Field will be the chosen one in 2018 and be Hunts half partner. But we do nwed a back-up and in thus case Nona would fit the bill nicely.

Drakon

Juniors
I went to the Cutters vs Dogs trial last weekend and yes, the game was severely affected by the weather - rain, hail and lightning. The game was stopped twice for extended periods with players off the field.

I am a Shaun Nona fan but I didn't think he played that well. He did do a nice curving grubber to the corner for a try and his goal kicking was 100% in less than perfect conditions with a couple of difficult kicks. On the negative side, at one stage he moved up too quick staggering the line and the Dogs cut through and went in for a try.

Just his goal kicking and short kicking game warrants him being given a try in First Grade and he does do some X factor things too from time to time.

Belta

Juniors
JD spoke highly of Nona in a successful Cutters team, from all reports his kicking game and goal kicking are of high quality, so you would think he should of or at some stage may be given a first grade opportunity, there has always been brides maids in the sport eg DCE who have unfortunately been left in the wake of Thusrton, Cronk...but in the case of Nona he has not exactly been trumped by super star halves if anything the opposite, so he must be out of favour for some reason...as some have suggested he is in his mid 20's which says a lot, he is just not FG material...

It sounds to me that he deserves an opportunity but I'd suggest he will unfortunately just miss out...we like to see him given a run

Reactions: Qdf

possm

Coach
Make Coyne Coaching Director for this season. We need selection changes and on-field skill improvement.

possm

Coach
So there is Widdop, Hutch, Mann, Nona and Field contesting the 6 jumper for 2018. Let there be fair competition for the five-eighth spot in 2017 with the winner being the front runner for the spot in 2018.

grouch

First Grade
We need the aging reserve grader Shaun Nona to have a big year so the Broncos trade their young superstar Milford for him, right?

Bench
All the talk about fostering our juniors and bringing them into the cutters and then first grade would not be an issue if JD was still here.
Whoever we get as first grade coach needs to have a good second grade coach to achieve the transition of the juniors, we don't have either now

RufusRex

Post Whore
So there is Widdop, Hutch, Mann, Nona and Field contesting the 6 jumper for 2018. Let there be fair competition for the five-eighth spot in 2017 with the winner being the front runner for the spot in 2018.

1. Dufty, 6. Field, 7. Hunt, 9. McInness is the future

red rocket

Juniors
Every one has forgot about herbert as good a talent as any kid coming through I reckon he could play 1 or 6 he must be injured or Mary rates him alongside Mann

GC Dragon

Juniors
Herbert named at 6 for the Cutters with Nona at 7
I wouldn't take a lot of notice of that . I expect Herbert and Garrick to drop back to the 20's to make room for Milne and Mann . But it looks like Mann could be the 5/8 for the Cutters .

hewi

Bench
I think Nona has a great kicking game and knows how to build pressure . I'd love to see him and Mann given a go to replace Mcrone and Widdop.