What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norm provan immortal of rugby league

John moz

Juniors
A definite choice to be next immortal why wait till its to late .A real gentleman and a legend of rugby league and he is part of the nrl grandfinal trophie.Has achieved more than no other in the game captain coached winning grandfinals Australia nsw list goes on .Wayne bennett has even put his hand up to be part of the selection team lets get it done asap.

Saintsified

Bench
I agree , however what has he done since he was last overlooked ? Unfortunately the idiots will look even dumber now if they make him an immortal and didn't before. They won't do it.

Old Timer

Coach
I agree , however what has he done since he was last overlooked ? Unfortunately the idiots will look even dumber now if they make him an immortal and didn't before. They won't do it.
Sad but 100% correct.
The players of that era are little chance of ever getting the nod and considering Provan and Messenger have been immortalised you have to wonder how Lewis and Johns ever got a gig before them.

possm

Coach
Maybe the selection committee needs a cleanout and after that sense will prevail.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree John Moz 100% , unfortunately as a couple of the other gents have said , the chances of this happening would appear remote .
A different time now , a different era , the men who would had championed his cause , no longer have any sway in making such decisions . They have been replaced with others who would see players from the 80's and upwards as being suitable candidates .

There is one bloke whom has a very big head and in my most humble opinion , should never had been there , but what can one do about that now ?

Last edited:

FlameThrower

Bench
Sad but 100% correct.
The players of that era are little chance of ever getting the nod and considering Provan and Messenger have been immortalised you have to wonder how Lewis and Johns ever got a gig before them.
Johns and Lewis Should never have happened before Provan and next in line is Lockyer or Thurston - I’m betting he will miss out all together..

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Sad but 100% correct.

I disagree with the first part of your last sentence. Love or loathe him, Wally Lewis deserves his Immortal status.

Old Timer

Coach
I disagree with the first part of your last sentence. Love or loathe him, Wally Lewis deserves his Immortal status.
Not saying Wally isn't deserving (in fact I think he was a fantastic footballer and ultimately a very worthwhile immortal) just saying that Provan should have been given immortal status before him & Johns.
Provan was a colossus for 10 years and more and showed his ability as player & captain / coach so no mean feat.
Unfortunately that will all be forgotten as new champions appear and are more easily recognised and remembered in the modern era as their feats will be on video, where as Provan's deeds are evident in but a few archives and mainly reliant upon the memories of a few ageing fans.
No doubt modern players will outweigh the immortals roll call and players like Provan, Messenger, Wells, Irvine will all struggle to be included yet would all be worthy members.

Walpole

Juniors
There should have been more effort to establish a proper rugby league Hall of Fame. Apparently they tried back in the mid 2000s, got as far as 30 inductees (of which Provan is one) and then gave up in 2007.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Rugby_League_Hall_of_Fame

Its a shame there isn't a permanent memorial to the game with memorabilia and regular inductees, like what the yanks do so well with their sports.

BennyV

Referee
There should have been more effort to establish a proper rugby league Hall of Fame. Apparently they tried back in the mid 2000s, got as far as 30 inductees (of which Provan is one) and then gave up in 2007.

Its a shame there isn't a permanent memorial to the game with memorabilia and regular inductees, like what the yanks do so well with their sports.
I’d go a step further and put rules regarding retirement on there - ie, have to be retired for 10 years to be considered for induction. The word ‘Immortal’ loses all kinds of shine when Johns got named so soon after retirement.

Coffs dragon

Bench

They need to re-introduce this Hall of Fame concept and add one former great player each year. The Immortals concept was began by Rugby League Week magazine that folded in 2017. It's time for the NRL to fix the concept and have it as the absolute pinnacle award presentation at the Daly M's each year.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
Seems to me that they never properly transitioned the concept from what it began as to what it has become today and we now have a lot of anomalies, Provan being one of them stuck in limbo.

Why can't they embrace a "one off" reassessment that will address the obvious omissions from a certain date and then go forward from 2018?

Might be an opportunity to take a look at the criteria as well~~

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Never comfortable with the use of the word "immortal" it just doesnt fit right to me given its many uses.
Hall of Fame has a more rounded approach (like the Arias etc) where players past and present (not playing) could be added. Then once they have left our world (ala Changa) thwy could then be bestowed immortal status.

possm

Coach
The idea of a Hall of Fame which includes Provan is a great idea. Make it so that a player must have been retired for at least 5 years before being considered.