What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nostalgia

Lurkingshark

Juniors
Being grand final week, this photo popped up on my farcebook today. Taken at the motel I used to own, I was just about to saddle up and head down to Homebush in 2016.

As a Shire-born boy in the '70s I remember sitting next to Steve Rogers and Greg Pierce on the scoreboard hill watching the U23s. Anyone else recall the Click 50? I used to catch the train from Gymea to watch every home game. I remember watching the first '78 grand final in the lounge room with my jersey and flag and still fervently believe we was robbed blind.

Like many others here I always said I'd die happy if the Sharks won a grand final and if and when we win another I can't imagine it having quite the same feeling. I was on the western side pretty much in line with the northern chalk and I reckon we got that final Storm attacking raid repelled on pure crowd willpower. Pure elation (and relief) and being surrounded by thousands of other people sharing the experience.

I don't have any secondary team. I don't particularly like Parra but I kinda hope they get up tomorrow because they have plenty of fans who weren't even born when they last won a gong and everyone should get that feeling at least once. 'Tis a rare event for most.

14568156_679527772202406_8834648691291906008_n.jpg

bluefox68

Staff member
Nice memories, mate!

Yeah - I used to hate Parra ( in the 80’s - LOL) - but I feel a bit sorry for them now!

i enjoy the stuff popping up on facebook each year hey
shame for parra
i didnt even think they were that bad. just set on fire from the outset

Quigs

Immortal
Even before Sylvania Waters was nothing more than part of the waters of west Taren Point Bay. Mud from the dredges and don't forget the punt, the mighty Taren Point Punt.

I remember the punt (gawd it seemed slow compared to Lugarno Ferry) and the swamp and tip on Captain Cook Drive, part of our return drive home from Cronulla Beach and the sand dunes back in the mid 60s.

Lurkingshark

Juniors
Lurking, I am an old Gymea Boy, lived in Talara Rd, up near the high school. (even before the Gymea High was built)
I lived on North West Arm Road until I was 4, then on Gymea Bay Road until I was 21. I feel old when I remember attending opening day of the Ampol garage on NW Arm Road (complete with swagman mascot) and now it is knocked down. I was right in front of Gough Whitlam when he opened the Lily Festival when he was PM and marvelling at how tall he was. I also won a leg of lamb and a box of fruit on the chocolate wheel that day.
I remember the dunny man coming, and the baker from Caringbah Bakeries delivering bread, and one of my earliest memories was (once) seeing an ice man deliver a huge cube of ice to the house over the road.

Quigs

Immortal
Memories, shit I could create pages of them here. Fun times growing up in the ancient times of the shire.

I can even remember the free school milk being delivered to Kirrawee Primary by Crosby's horse drawn milk cart. They didn't do it all the time but every now and then.