What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Channel on Fox

Front-Rower

First Grade
After much thought and consideration on this..and the lack of coverage by a certain TV station in certain states :D , why doesn't Foxtel take a leaf out of their AFL brainstrust and create a dedicated Pay-TV channel for Rugby League.

I know that this may be imposible to do under their current contract but would it be benefical for the code have this happen. Lets get the game promoted into the other states and ensure that it SMASHES the yawnion, cause after tonites game with the English and the French I thought I was watching world cup SOCCER HAHAHAHAH how exciting for a game in which you are suppose to score tries HHAHAAHH.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this concept guys and girls of course!!!

Glenn

First Grade
Would the demand be there if a NRL channel similiar to the Fox Footy channel was set up (ie paying $30 odd a month)

Razor

Coach
It won't happen for at least several years.

Remember C7s offer, which involved a Rugby League channel, was significantly higher than Fox Sports for the NRL rights. The NRL went with Fox Sports giving the reason "We don't want an NRL channel where the public pays $6.95 a month even though there will also be coverage of First Division, Metro Cup, and QLD Cup; because the public wouldn't like it." Of course it was bullshit, but if the NRL said the real reason they'll be stuffed legally. 7 is taking practically everyone to court - NRL, Fox Sports, News Ltd, Channel 9, Telstra & Foxtel, over this matter. The case has been set down to begin in January 2005.

C7 still showed the Metro Cup finals series that year, but not the full season like they planned on the RL channel - they were going to show QLD Cup every week the following year (different game that the ABC shows), but that's when Optus & Austar dumped C7. The First Division(now Premier League) rights are included with the NRL and since Fox Sports refused to show any despite having the rights, we couldn't get any coverage.

They are also (at the same time) taking the AFL, Channel 10, & Channel 9 to court over the AFL procedings. And Foxtel, Telstra, Fox Sports, Optus & Austar over C7 being forced out of the market.

They will win the 3rd case, there is no doubt. But no hope of getting all the demands they want which are just totally over the top ($2.4 billion, given News Ltd share of Foxtel free of charge, and some other things which I can't remember)

The AFL case they are no hope.

The NRL one, if 7 can prove the truth they will win. It's just proving it that's hard. The NRL isn't going to give them the proof they need for a massive damages payment. And the court wouldn't be dumb enough to hear from the NRL - "We changed our minds on the NRL channel"

Fox Sports is a joke. They have the rights to the entire archive of ARL matches ever played and never show great games from the past. SportsAustralia used to show one game a week. C7 would have had they been given the rights they deserved. No Premier League despite having the rights. No showing of internationals not involving Australia. And crap like that. A total disgrace. Anyone would think Fox Sports wants League to die and Union rule all, so they don't have to buy up twice.

Fox Footy is in desperate financial trouble (much like SportsAFL went broke way back), but the money they are asking for is more than double what C7 was going to charge. And free-to-air coverage in the AFL states covers the majority of games anyway unlike the fta coverage of the NRL. So it will be more successful.

Crippler

Juniors
I was under the assumption C7 had the rights to all games pre NRL.
and that C7 still has the rights to metro cup or JB Cup as it is now

Razor

Coach
Crippler said:
I was under the assumption C7 had the rights to all games pre NRL.
and that C7 still has the rights to metro cup or JB Cup as it is now

The pre-NRL games went when SportsAustralia died. The 9 network held them, so they went to Fox Sports when PBL bought into Fox Sports. C7 only had the rights to the NRL games, until their contract ended. The Rugby League channel on Optus (NRL on Optus) was owned by Fox Sports.

The contract C7 had for the Metro Cup ended end of last year, and since C7 doesn't exist anymore it wasn't renewed.

dimitri

First Grade
i really hope c7 win this

the whole reason the rights went to fox is because news ltd has a huge interest in both

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ibeme

First Grade
An NRL channel on FOX would put me in a real dilemma. My girlfriend wants to get the AFL channel, but I've kept putting it off because I know some games that she'd want to watch would clash with some of the league games. They do already, but she can watch them on the other telly, which doesn't have Foxtel.

If I were to subscribe to an NRL channel, then I wouldn't be able to stop her from subscribing to the AFL channel, and we'd both be competing for the same telly.

This is assuming that they'd switch NRL games to the NRL channel. Uh ho! That means that I'd have no choice to subscribe.

Does anyone know if you can get an extra Foxtel receiver so you can have Foxtel on more than one telly, without having to pay too much extra? It might prevent an all out code war in our house (not that I don't like AFL, but league takes priority).

Razor

Coach
ibeme said:
Does anyone know if you can get an extra Foxtel receiver so you can have Foxtel on more than one telly, without having to pay too much extra? It might prevent an all out code war in our house (not that I don't like AFL, but league takes priority).

Yes you can, with cable. Don't know about satelite.

I think it's $14 a month extra.

Foxtel though usually give a crappy box (STU100) though as the 2nd one all the time. If you want a specific box (one that's a lot better) you have to pay $50 (that's the same as the initial installation. They pick one at random, but if you want a speciic one you have to pay).

ChiaPete

Juniors
Yeah you can get an extra box with satelite. I think its around $30 a month (on top of your monthly fox payment).

Pete
GO BULLDOGS

MEE

Juniors
I'd only want a dedicated League channel if it came with the basic Foxtel package.

Dog-E

Juniors
I dunno - One can only watch SO MUCH League and still remain fit & healthy!!

If I got a dedicated NRL channel I'd never bloody go outside again!!! :lol:

I am &@&$ed if I know how Foxtel can fill TWO whole channels with non-stop Gay-FL!!...there must be some RIGHT shite on there!!...Not even worth watching 3/4 of the programs on there is my guess!!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Iwould be very keen to see Fox provide a Footy channel, similar to the AFL Channel.

As long as they don't put on thse stupid shows like "Grumpy Old Men" and the show that is run by the wives and girl friends. Who gives a toss ? thats not footy.

I would be particularly interresetd in the Premmy League, SG and JF games. Thats one thing that the AFL channel does not do.

westie

Bench
I got a couple of hundred sigs in a petition for this a while back, but nothing came of it. I might have to give john brady at the nrl a buzz to find out som details.

Alan Shore

First Grade
ibeme said:
An NRL channel on FOX would put me in a real dilemma. My girlfriend wants to get the AFL channel, but I've kept putting it off because I know some games that she'd want to watch would clash with some of the league games. They do already, but she can watch them on the other telly, which doesn't have Foxtel.

If I were to subscribe to an NRL channel, then I wouldn't be able to stop her from subscribing to the AFL channel, and we'd both be competing for the same telly.

This is assuming that they'd switch NRL games to the NRL channel. Uh ho! That means that I'd have no choice to subscribe.

Hello? You live in Sydney! The solution is to cure the brainwashing and disease which your girlfriend has been infected with.

dimitri

First Grade
i dont understadn why they cant have one for free

optus used to have an nrl channel so why cant fox just have a league channel

put the super league, nrl, bartercard cup, lebanese domestic comp etc on there

ali

Bench
my eagle eye said:
I'd only want a dedicated League channel if it came with the basic Foxtel package.

That's the key. We don't want to cut down our exposure by locking the game away on a seperate channel that non Rugby League fans wont sign up for.

olympic park

Juniors
Dog-E said:
I am &@&$ed if I know how Foxtel can fill TWO whole channels with non-stop Gay-FL!!...there must be some RIGHT shite on there!!...Not even worth watching 3/4 of the programs on there is my guess!!

thats the thing - they couldn't fill two channels so one of them has become obselete!! and you're spot on about 3/4 of the programs being a waste of time - its actually closer to 9/10 of fill in crap and 10% matches - mostly old re-runs anyway from what i can remember when they provided it for free to try to entice people to actually subscribe to the channel

the other option would be to make the 2nd AFL channel (which is now obselete - 16 for cable unsure for satelite) the electronic TV program guide and make that current channel (13) into a fox league channel sort of thing - it would make sense as it would be alongside the other two sports channels and people would watch it cos it would still be free!!!

Razor said:
C7 still showed the Metro Cup finals series that year, but not the full season like they planned on the RL channel - they were going to show QLD Cup every week the following year (different game that the ABC shows), but that's when Optus & Austar dumped C7. The First Division(now Premier League) rights are included with the NRL and since Fox Sports refused to show any despite having the rights, we couldn't get any coverage.

they show the onion 'match of the week' which is on the ABC on fox sports - not coming from NSW or QLD do they show the rugby league reserve grade matches on ABC?? here in victoria they show whats called the VFL which is all the local suburban teams - a bit like the jim beam cup i think.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
C7 was squeezed out of the PayTv market when the CEO of the station at the time failed to convince Foxtel to keep it going as another station. Believe me no end of effort went into those negotiations and as it turned out the Winter Olympics was C7s last big sporting event. Pity for not only the station but it cost me full time employment - so naturally i'm dirty about that.

And as for those who continually bash Ch9 for their coverage you might find it rather interesting that that SAME CEO from the now extinct C7 is in charge of Ch9's league coverage...

Thought some of you may find that little piece of information interesting.