What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Draft back on the agenda

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldn’t worry mate. A draft wouldn’t likely work in League anyway because talent would just choose to play union if it came in; at least the talent we want to keep in the game
I thought union was on its arse? Why would you go play that instead? players move clubs and cities all the time, I doubt we’d see a mass exodus of 18 year olds to the Waratahs, Brumbies or Reds lol

MugaB

Coach
I thought union was on its arse? Why would you go play that instead? players move clubs and cities all the time, I doubt we’d see a mass exodus of 18 year olds to the Waratahs, Brumbies or Reds lol .... haha
They wanted to pay 10 million for Joseph Su'alii... they can spend 500k on the average player, that NRL clubs would only spend half that amount on

MugaB

Coach
Would only need to go for a season, Get past the draft then choose your club
Dumb move from NRL to turn away juniors, at cut price deals only to have to pay full freight to entise them back.... sounds like a RU thing to me... yeah i dont think we should be doing that or a draft... let the clubs decide whats best for their own clubs .. let the commission decide on whats best for the comp... let the punters suffer knowing that only the best clubs develop thier own juniors, and they'll eventually sort of their boards and vote them out... and the merry go round continues

Tweed Titan

Bench
That’s not a great model but fair enough. How do you deal with the biggest problem though. Players can choose to play Union here or overseas or go to Super League. There are other options available to players.
I feel we are perhaps exaggerating this concern somewhat. How many players do you really think are going to play overseas because they are butthurt they have to turn up at Concord instead of Bondi?

The French and Australian rugby clubs also generally only try to poach the proven stars. You think they will pay $1m a season to some 18 year old who's proven nothing yet, played 0 first grade and could be the next Karl Filiga?

Last edited:

Tweed Titan

Bench
And with the 1st pick of the 2023 Draft the Tigers select Jojo Fifita...

Your fine with that?
Lol he's already signed to a top 30. It's the next generation we are talking about.

Like I posted earlier, with the Titans now getting the pick of the litter in numerous SEQ powerhouse rugby league schools a draft would likely disadvantage the Titans long-term but it is good for the game. So yes.

Last edited:

Tweed Titan

Bench
Would only need to go for a season, Get past the draft then choose your club
You have no idea how drafts work obviously. The team that drafts a player would retain their rights if they refused to sign straight away. So no you couldn't just wait out a year and then sign wherever you want in the NRL.

Please try to get a grasp of how drafts work before posting.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How do drafts work with salary cap? Say Titans draft #1 pick but they only have $300k on their cap available and the player feels he is worth a lot more what happens then?

nick87

Coach
That’s not a great model but fair enough. How do you deal with the biggest problem though. Players can choose to play Union here or overseas or go to Super League. There are other options available to players.
If players really want to leave the best RL competition in the world for less money in the ESL, good luck to them

if player are going to chase big money in union, they’ll do it. RL has never suffered from players leaving the code. It’s always replaced them with the next big thing

If people don’t want a draft, that’s fine, but you should either want it or not on the basis of what is best for the code… not out of fear of losing a handful of players to union (and it wouldn’t be more than that). Absolutely no young star player is passing up NRL money for a career in the ESL regardless of where the would be drafted. The money and competitive football disparity is too big for 99.9% to even consider it.

Again, no problem if people don’t like the idea of a draft for any number of reasons, the biggest and most legitimate imo being the pathways being handled by the governing body and how they transition to that and how much confidence we have in them to do it… but fear about 3-4 players deciding to up and leave? If the draft is considered a good and healthy thing for the code, the handful of players who pack a sad and leave will be easily replaced and quickly forgotten, as they always have been.

Colk

First Grade
I feel we are perhaps exaggerating this concern somewhat. How many players do you really think are going to play overseas because they are butthurt they have to turn up at Concord instead of Bondi?

The French and Australian rugby clubs also generally only try to poach the proven stars. You think they will pay $1m a season to some 18 year old who's proven nothing yet, played 0 first grade and could be the next Karl Filiga?

Perhaps I am but wouldn’t it make Union more attractive to players who could easily play both. For example the next Sualii or other hyped youngster would they then decide to play union because they have the choice and freedom to go here they want.

I feel if you are going to use the draft, I would use a draft for talent that is not in the system so for example players from the Pacific or in V’Landys grand idea players from the US.

Iamback

Coach
You have no idea how drafts work obviously. The team that drafts a player would retain their rights if they refused to sign straight away. So no you couldn't just wait out a year and then sign wherever you want in the NRL.

Please try to get a grasp of how drafts work before posting.

I know how drafts work... they work in sports where there are no other options.

They all require a player to nominate for it too, You can't force players to do that

nick87

Coach
How do drafts work with salary cap? Say Titans draft #1 pick but they only have $300k on their cap available and the player feels he is worth a lot more what happens then?

typically drafts have salary based on draft slot
Your salary is slotted based on draft position, the top 10-20 players in this league would have to be carrying a pretty good salary. Probably 250-300k

but if the titans have the pick and don’t have cap room, it’s on them to manage that like any other cap situation… either by trading the pick or trading/releasing players to create room for the pick

Colk

First Grade
If players really want to leave the best RL competition in the world for less money in the ESL, good luck to them

if player are going to chase big money in union, they’ll do it. RL has never suffered from players leaving the code. It’s always replaced them with the next big thing

If people don’t want a draft, that’s fine, but you should either want it or not on the basis of what is best for the code… not out of fear of losing a handful of players to union (and it wouldn’t be more than that). Absolutely no young star player is passing up NRL money for a career in the ESL regardless of where the would be drafted. The money and competitive football disparity is too big for 99.9% to even consider it.

Again, no problem if people don’t like the idea of a draft for any number of reasons, the biggest and most legitimate imo being the pathways being handled by the governing body and how they transition to that and how much confidence we have in them to do it… but fear about 3-4 players deciding to up and leave? If the draft is considered a good and healthy thing for the code, the handful of players who pack a sad and leave will be easily replaced and quickly forgotten, as they always have been.

As I said to Tweed Titan the problem would be the next generation of players, not necessarily the players on the cusp. A draft all of a sudden may make our competitor union a little more attractive. We have to remember that the game is stealing or poaching a lot of junior talent from union.

Iamback

Coach

How is best for the game?
Teams should be able to develop from within

Latest posts