What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Grand Final public transport

Band On The Run

Juniors
I arrive in Sydney on the morning of the Grand Final (yes I know, very risky booking on gameday). I know free public transport is available but I want to know does this apply for the train from airport to Central?

If not would it make more sense for me to take a bus to mascot (I think from memory that's the first one from the Airport to Central but may be wrong?) then train it from there for free>

Band On The Run

Juniors
Just looked it up on Google maps, apparently 2km apart (which is nothing to me) might just walk from airport to Mascot as I will only have carry on

thorson1987

Coach
Mascot is on the same line as the airport stations. Would still have the same issue.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if you have to change at central, but leaving from the airport stations im not too sure.

DB

First Grade
Leaving the station at Central would mean you'd need to get a train ticket from Domestic to Central

t-ba

Post Whore
The Airport Train is still privately owned IIRC and would still cost money, much like the Airport Train in Brisbane. Catch it and get off at Central and change trains there.

2km maybe, but I'd make sure there are actual operating footpaths. I was there on Friday and there's a lot of serious looking roadwork going on.

The bus running out of the airport (400) is pretty f**king useless for your purposes as a Sydney transport beginner, so forget about that.

Danish

Referee
Mascot is still on the private train line so will have same problems.

All you need to do is convince one idiot at the gate at the domestic station that GF tickets get free transport and you are through. Once you are on the train no one will bother you.

Are you going straight to the game or going to a hotel first?

Band On The Run

Juniors

All you need to do is convince one idiot at the gate at the domestic station that GF tickets get free transport and you are through. Once you are on the train no one will bother you.

From my understanding no airport surcharge for Mascot or Green square.

I'm staying near Central and will be going to Hotel first, Will be staying in Sydney for a few days, going to cricket at Nth Sydney oval on Monday and Roar v Wanderers on Thursday night

Danish

Referee
From my understanding no airport surcharge for Mascot or Green square.

I'm staying near Central and will be going to Hotel first, Will be staying in Sydney for a few days, going to cricket at Nth Sydney oval on Monday and Roar v Wanderers on Thursday night

You are probably right about the surcharge etc, but I would still try my luck at the domestic station first. If you are wearing a jersey and have a grand final ticket in hand then surely the station staff will let you through, either because they are decent people and know its the right thing to do, or they are just stupid and can be convinced that your GF ticket entitles you to free travel even at their station.

Once you are on the train, the people at Central will let you through. Just give some story that you just came through one of the other turnstyles but need to get back out to meet someone if they try to question you. Again I doubt anyone will say anything though if you are wearing supporter gear and are carrying a GF ticket

Last Week

Bench
It won't be covered. Not the airport line. My work provides me with a train pass which allows me to travel over the state, but the airport line isn't covered by it. I'd be amazed if it were for a one off event.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

not true any more. They removed the airport tariff from all the stations except the airport ones a couple of yeas ago. He should be fine if he walks to Mascot.

cleary89

Coach
No airport surcharge at mascot. My gf has an idiot friend who does that walk every time she travels. 20kg luggage and all. Tight arses. Fine if you just have a backpack or something though

saintania

Juniors
Your best bet is to simply buy a ticket from domestic to Mascot train station (the next stop). Your GF ticket covers you for transport from there. As correctly pointed out, the airport is a private line. You will not need to get off the train, just stay on. Depending on what time you arrive, I would suggest this as the quickest, cheapest and most painless way to get to the game.