What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL player training programs

langpark

First Grade
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I gave up after digging about 5 pages back...

Does anyone have examples of what a typical NRL player's training program might look like? I'm talking about footy training, gym and diet all in one if possible.

Thanks.

DeeJ

Bench
Pretty hard to find, clubs are very secretive about their training schedules.

Some basic things I know:

In the pre season they don't even touch the ball, its all about running and lifting weights. Players will lift weights 3-4 times a week to build up strength and for some players size for the upcoming season. The running is about increasing anerobic and aerobic fitness. This part of the training seasons builds the foundation for the players fitness for the whole year. After this it is about maintenance.

Closer to the season beginning, skill sessions are introduced. Other specific things (agility, speedwork) are being incorporated as well.

During the season, training load is lightened, the majority is still aerobic/anerobic work. Weight sessions only 2x a week, just to maintain size and strength. Occasionally might train weights up to 3 times a week if they have a bye or a break between games longer than 7 days.

Teams will often have 2 training sessions a day, however one of them is going to be light work (skills, recovery, even agility). Days of intensive effort (strength/endurance) are alternated.

I also have the training program for the Australian rugby 7's team tour of europe in 2010 if you are interested.

_snafu_

Immortal
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I gave up after digging about 5 pages back...

Does anyone have examples of what a typical NRL player's training program might look like? I'm talking about footy training, gym and diet all in one if possible.

Thanks.

Hello Steve Price.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think I remember reading (and it may have been here) the Broncos were using a modified west side routine.

Red Bear

Referee
From hearing an interview the emphasis has shifted from pure size type work to a method based around building a strong core, increased stability etc. Players have slimmed down a bit (backs anyway) since the early-mid 00's as the emphasis has shifted.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
google "jennings fitness blitz" from an old raiders story and it should say something about ryan o'hara setting a new best time. Worth a crack but you'll definately regret it afterwards

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I can just picture Gillett and Thaiday squaring off as opposing leaders of the Jets and the Sharks

Ahaha took me a few moments to work out the joke because im geniused. I mean the powerlifting program not the stage musical.

Latest posts