What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 7 2024 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
I'll go a day early again as I've got a big day at work tomorrow. The big news this week is Penrith's Fisher-Harris moving back to NZ next year. The Panthers have lost some big stars that's for sure. But you know what? If they keep their coach and those solid players - Cleary, Leota, Yeo, To'o, Edwards, Martin, etc - then they'll always be hard to beat. Good new players will come in too, that's a given.

Tomorrow, it should be blockbuster footy but I don't think it is. The Roosters just don't seem to be that good and Melbourne are. It will be an emotional night in the Eastern Suburbs though, considering the tragic event last weekend at Bondi.

Friday, down in the 'Gong. The Dragons might've found some form but the travelling Warriors should be too strong across the park. Parramatta should get enough home-town decisions - albeit in Darwin - to get across the line v the Dolphins, who're yet to show how good they are away from their Redcliffe Peninsula, new-boy bubble.

Saturday, Penrith are taking Wests out to the wild and woolly surrounds of Bathurst. The Tigers upset them out there this time last year. A lot of piss will be drunk at Carrington Park, that's assured. Dessie's Titans are up against his old firm, Manly. Will he outwit his former club? They're due for a win. Old Sticky, the other grizzly-bastard coach from last weekend, won't get many friendly refereeing calls up in Brisbane! So his side just has to fire up and win.

Sunday, this is interesting. Canterbury hosting Newcastle. Are the Bulldogs improving? If so, they need to win against this sort of opposition. Is Ponga fit? That might be the key to winning and losing for the Knights. It sucks being a one-man team.

We close with Cronulla and the Cowboys in the traditional four pm slot. Here's two teams that think they can make the grand final. I doubt much separates them as they compete for the 'Chad Townsend Cup'! (I had to look that up, but it's true). Let's hope Chad has a day out regardless of the result!

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
An emotional minute's silence, as expected.

And then Teddy flashes his behind. But that came a bit later.

12-6, Storm. Halftime. They look stronger across the park and, with Munster and big Nelson, stronger than when they played us.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Something just not right with the Roosters attack, guys like Tedesco, Keary, Manu out there and they have struggled for points for a couple of years now. They should be going much better than they are with the squad they have

As a hooker, I feel Brandon Smith is the most over rated payer in the comp

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
How the hell did the Storm get that one confirmed ! Reimis Smith had hands on Manu before he attempted to catch the ball

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
3mins to go, Papenhuysen grounds the ball in goal before bouncing back into the field of play. How does Klein still have a job

JJ

Immortal
Something just not right with the Roosters attack, guys like Tedesco, Keary, Manu out there and they have struggled for points for a couple of years now. They should be going much better than they are with the squad they have

As a hooker, I feel Brandon Smith is the most over rated payer in the comp
Agree on Smith, 100% - you'd think with that talent they should have points in them, gameplans and the 7 and 9, I guess - and Keary hasn't been playing well when I've seen them

Blair

Coach
It's early days but let's not have a Penrith v Storm grand final. It's looking ominous though.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Smith is one of the best running 9s in the comp but he really doesn’t have a whole lot of ability to set anyone else up.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Smiths pass isn’t great and he takes too long to get into it, 13 is probably the best spot for him, but they have Radley

Sam Walker wasn’t playing last night, but he and Keary don’t seem to click at all and the Roosters normally play better when one of them is out. I think they have really stifled Sam Walker who is more of an off the cuff type rather than the methodical don’t move out of your lane Cooper Cronk type and the structure doesn’t suit him

TheDMC

Bench
I was amped for this match, but it ended up a bit of dud game. Intense defence for the first 20 mins and then just kind fizzled out with clunky play, errors, and tired dudes. Neither team played well, but Roosters proved to be the headless chooks, and once again Storm found a way to win, with the help of some questionable refereeing decisions.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I was amped for this match, but it ended up a bit of dud game. Intense defence for the first 20 mins and then just kind fizzled out with clunky play, errors, and tired dudes. Neither team played well, but Roosters proved to be the headless chooks, and once again Storm found a way to win, with the help of some questionable refereeing decisions.
Speaking of headless chooks, does that kick to nobody from Tedesco on the 2nd tackle spell the end of his rep aspirations ?

JJ

Immortal
Smiths pass isn’t great and he takes too long to get into it, 13 is probably the best spot for him, but they have Radley

Sam Walker wasn’t playing last night, but he and Keary don’t seem to click at all and the Roosters normally play better when one of them is out. I think they have really stifled Sam Walker who is more of an off the cuff type rather than the methodical don’t move out of your lane Cooper Cronk type and the structure doesn’t suit him
Yeah, they don’t really have an organiser in 6,7, or 9….

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
8 tries in 25mins in the 2nd half for the Dolphins and the Eels get smashed, bloody beautiful, shame Isaako didn’t have his kicking boots so they could raise the bat

Blair

Coach
8 tries in 25mins in the 2nd half for the Dolphins and the Eels get smashed, bloody beautiful, shame Isaako didn’t have his kicking boots so they could raise the bat
That's a seriously bad result for Parra. Arthur might surprise us this year, as the first coach to go.

The Eels might blame the heat but it won't wash.

Blair

Coach
C'mon Titans! They've jumped ahead of Manly. They're due a win and we can't have that happening next week.

Gee, the Robina faithful are vocal!

12-10 up. Foran's having a good game. Fifita is yet to come on the field too...

...geez, 30-28, Titans, with a mountain of time left. What a game...for crying out loud, what a Dessie-killer, Brimson drops it near his line in the next set after scoring, Manly score, 34-30...and that's how it ended.

Pentith 22-6 over Benji's boys.

If Canberra upset Brisbane will they be outside premiership contenders? More so than another similarly placed side, the Warriors?

Last edited:

Latest posts