What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Site : Hard taskmaster Raper looks for improvement

Hard taskmaster Raper looks for improvement

10 August 2004

Sometimes it's hard to please Cronulla Sharks coach Stuart Raper.

Utility Michael Sullivan played a match-turning hand from the bench in the Sharks' shock 26-12 NRL win over the Sydney Roosters on Sunday that kept Cronulla in the finals hunt and knocked the title favourites off No.1 spot.

While happy with the result, Raper was still looking for improvement from his super sub as the Sharks entered the home straight in the race for a finals berth.

"For the first 20 minutes (against Roosters) we were playing fairly dull footy, I was hoping Sully could ignite something and he did," Raper said.

"He creates so much, the defence just panics because he is so quick, he did some terrific things for us.

"Although I've got to kick him for his kicking game. I've never seen him kick the ball dead so many times."

Sullivan took the criticism on the chin as he planned to chime into a two pronged kicking onslaught with fit-again Brett Kimmorley against the Eels on Saturday.

"I'm pretty comfortable with my role. I come on and do what I can for the team - sometimes it's right, sometimes it's not," he said.

"Stuey works really hard on me trying to get my (kicking) percentages up - more often than not it is the right play but it's something I can build on in the finals and work on even more."

While Raper said he was "99 per cent" certain Kimmorley would finally overcome a hamstring injury against Parramatta, Sullivan said the Sharks weren't losing sleep over their chief playmaker's return.

"Noddy (Kimmorley) comes back when Noddy is ready. The team knows that so we've got to perform with or without him," he said.

"He may get injured again next year who knows, he's not infallible.

"It's just about the team performing with whoever we've got on the paddock, we've been doing that consistently now.

"We've been competitive nearly every game without him. Hopefully we can keep doing that and he'll be a boost when he comes back."

Sullivan said the win over the Roosters had steeled the Sharks for a last gasp crack at a top eight finish.

The Sharks (11th; 10-11 record) are vying for eighth spot with Wests Tigers (8th; 10-11), Newcastle (9th; 9-11) and Canberra (10th; 10-11) with four regular season rounds left.

"The confidence has always been there, team morale has always been really good in the side but it's something else to knock off the top of the table side," Sullivan said.

"There's something about being persistent and not throwing in the towel.

"That's what the top four sides do week in, week out. There's no week off.

Jonotallica

Juniors
I like how Sully is talking about the finals, this far out.

The boys have seemed confident in their ability for a while now, and it seems to be paying off.

Jonotallica

Juniors
Kicking it dead is better then kicking to the fullback on the full though. Unless your talking about grubbers close to the line.

beekershark

Bench
So Stuey, I guess, the fact that you blame sully for kicking it dead too much, that you , well , kinda resign yourself to the fact that for the first 20 , we have no kicking option ?

funny that because the previous week against the broncos our 6th tackle in-goal grubber execution was the best i'd seen from the sharks for a long time. we had like 6 or 7 repeat sets on their line from drop-outs (but still couldn't cross the chalk :roll: )

last week was terrible in that regard. if i recall correctly we only got about 1 or maybe 2 drop-outs, all the rest were just weighted far too heavy. the kicks needed more cross-field angle so they roll across the in goal area, NOT the dead ball line.

but stuey's obviously no mug and sully's good enough to master this with a bit more experience.

btw - seeing as merritt has such a freakish boot on him, how about getting him to take our 5th tackle kicks for distance. make nigel run even further to chase them

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Waht a good idea SOL!
How about we go 1 step further & get nathan to do it on the 4 th tackle when the wingers are up in the line!!!

WOULDNT THAT MAKE THE WINGERS UNSETTLED????!!!!!!

MAYBE A 40/20 POSSIBILITY??!!!!!!!

MAYBE IF THEY DROPPED BACK ON THE 4TH, WE COULD THEN SHOCK THEM & RUN!!!???

geez!

beekershark

Bench
????????? he seemed to not have a worry getting into the in field early for two field goal attempts 2 matches ago, I don't see the problem ????

M Rogers was used at origin level for the downtown kicking with his towering left boot, why not bring merrit in if his boot is that good ?

I think we have Hilder as an option too, he kicks to find the line on occasions for penalties and has a huge, cleanly struck kick.

b_shark

Juniors
beekershark said:
????????? he seemed to not have a worry getting into the in field early for two field goal attempts 2 matches ago, I don't see the problem ????

M Rogers was used at origin level for the downtown kicking with his towering left boot, why not bring merrit in if his boot is that good ?

I think we have Hilder as an option too, he kicks to find the line on occasions for penalties and has a huge, cleanly struck kick.

Jase (Stevens that is - not Kent) even had a go the other week in the Ponies game - funniest play of the game :lol: Maybe that can be our secret surprise weapon in the finals

dreary

Juniors
Sullivan said the Sharks weren't losing sleep over their chief playmaker's return.

"Noddy (Kimmorley) comes back when Noddy is ready. The team knows that so we've got to perform with or without him," he said.

"He may get injured again next year who knows, he's not infallible.

Think you will find it is sully that may be out of a job ;-) :lol: