What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin Captain?

Scarves

Juniors
Who's in line, there really doesn't appear to be any clear cut options.

Willie Mason is no certainty to even start at this stage.

Kurt Gidley would have to start to get the job.

Paul Gallen... now that would be interesting.

Trent Barrett, he's got to get in first.

Braith Anasta, the much maligned five eighth needs to shut the knockers first.

Robbie Farah... considering the form in 2008 of Michael Ennis, he's no certainty either.

Craig Fitzgibbon, probably better second row options that the old warhorse.

There really doesn't appear to be a clear cut leader amongst any of these. Is there another legitimate option that I've missed? Without a true leader, preventing an historic maroon four-peat will be an enormous task.

mave

Coach
Cooper maybe? Glenn Stewart?

Although, with Bellamy as coach I am tipping Brett White as starting prop and captain

adamkungl

Immortal
If Fitzy makes the side he'd be a certainty, but I think last year might have been his final rep series. I wouldn't like the idea of Mason being captain of anything. Other than that Anasta is the most likely option to me, currently Roosters captain, but will he make the side?

Jono078

Referee
Kurt Gidley will be fullback, he may be a chance.

Ben Cross, good forward leader and Bellamy favourite.

There is noone really that you think they will definitely make it and has leadership material.

I would go Fitzy def. Very very experienced and i think NSW need him. The only issue is if Fitzy doesnt play any more rep footy, they need to look for a new captain, so im guessing they have to pick a guy who is gonna be around for a little while to come.

willvillain

Juniors
I think NSW should be looking at a changing of the guard, and Fitzy isn't the future. He had a great year last year, and was an honest performer in Origin, but it's time to move on.

My choice would be Mason. If fit, he will be picked. He is a leader, whether you like it or not. And he is the king of the players. They respect him, they love him, they will follow him. And maybe, MAYBE, with the responsibility of captaincy on his shoulders could it spur him onto greater things? Let's hope.

No to Gallen.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think NSW should be looking at a changing of the guard, and Fitzy isn't the future. He had a great year last year, and was an honest performer in Origin, but it's time to move on.

My choice would be Mason. If fit, he will be picked. He is a leader, whether you like it or not. And he is the king of the players. They respect him, they love him, they will follow him. And maybe, MAYBE, with the responsibility of captaincy on his shoulders could it spur him onto greater things? Let's hope.

No to Gallen.

I don't like the idea of Mason as captain. He doesn't strike me as the sort of player that will get up and run the ball up harder than ever after copping a hit. Is he the sort of player who's gonna make the right decision to go for goal or take the tap in a close game? Will he lead by example on and off the field? Will he have the respect of players and referees? There are better choices imo. Gidley and Anasta the best ones, but neither of them are sure to make the side year in year out.

willvillain

Juniors
Gidley is just as likely to come off the bench as he is to start (probably more likely to come off the bench actually) and has little no experience as a captain, I don't see why he is such a front-runner.

Anasta is the obvious option. Plenty of Origin experience and club captaincy, but like you say he's no certainty to be picked...

Mason will have the respect of the players, that is not in question at all. Referees...possibly not, that is overrated anyway. Especially in Origin. And if Mason has the captaincy, and knows that everyone is looking to him to make a big play and lead by example, then he will absolutely tear in all match. That's the way I see it. I think he likes to cruise when it suits him, but put him in a pressure situation with some sort of responsibility on his shoulders and he likes to deliver.

saint-colesy

Juniors
It has to be an experienced bloke for starters. Cant be someone making their debut or second season of origin.

Ones that spring to mind would be
Cooper
Bailey
Hindmarsh- if he gets picked

Other then that i really cant think of anyone.

mozza91

Coach
If selected it has to be Fitzgibbon if not Gidley or Hindmarsh(presuming the dumbass selecters finally realise he's NSW best 2nd Rower)

KHunt

Juniors
lol

I cant believe people are seriously thinking Anasta's a chance. He's one of the worst origin players, last years last game showed that. I personally think Cooper, if he got chosen by Bennent as captain at St. George that will give him a huge shot at captain for NSW, which I reckon he could get. I don't think Big Willie is captain material either, he cant expect to be in the side can he.

Will be an interesting choice, that's for sure.

Latest posts