NYC scrapped!!

Discussion in 'National Under 20s Competition' started by warrior poet, Aug 10, 2014.

1. CC_Roosters

CC_Roosters Bench

I disagree, why is it so important to have a strong under 20 competition? it offers.far more.to the game to have a stronger and more wide spread pro second tier. the main problem with the NYC was it seems to be the end of the road for those that don't graduate to first grade.

2. alien

alien Coach

Because some players will go from Under 20s straight to First Grade. A strong National Reserve Grade comp and a strong National Under 20s comp is good for the First Grade comp.

siv likes this.
  3. CC_Roosters

CC_Roosters Bench

The way they are designing it the best of the best will be signed to extended NRL squads and then likely play with affiliates if they are not quite ready for NRL.

Has anybody been able to figure out if
    a) The queensland U20 will include Broncos, Cowboys, Titans teams or will it be entirely branded off the current Qcup sides.
    b) Is the NSW edition of the U20 to be the NRL sides or are the current NSW cup sides going to be the complete package? As an example would we really be looking at all of canberras development and pathways focused at mounties feeding into a single Raiders NRL squad?

Seems to me like this is going to complicate pathways rather than consolidate if it is going the way I fear.

Edit

Just reading through one of the articles again. Canavan is quoted as saying "there were discussions to introduce proposed implementations in 2022, but said those talks were ongoing"

Is the governing body seriously saying that any new sides even at this level are 5-6 years away in 2022? SO we have Sydney a-grade sides running around in the NSW cup while established and developing areas get ignored despite their grand motto of kids staying at home to develop!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  4. alien

alien Coach

Yeah and the comps that those affiliate clubs are in won't be as strong as what a National Reserve Grade comp would be, so I don't think that is what is best for the First Grade comp.

Good question. It sounds like to me the Under 20s clubs will be the same clubs that will be in the NSW Cup and QLD Cup, which means you would have to expect the same for the Under 18s and Under 16s clubs, except for any overseas clubs in the NSW Cup and QLD Cup. So basically the NRL first grade clubs will not be district clubs anymore, but just NRL franchises, and the new junior districts will be that of the NSW Cup and QLD Cup clubs. We may even see a couple of Sydney NRL clubs in the same junior district, and eventually they might be pressured to merge, or one of them to relocate.

5. Lockyer4President!

Lockyer4President! First Grade

A) The QLD Cup arrangements will continue as-is.
    B) I'd also like to know what the NSWRL intends to do.

As for your edit, Toowoomba is supposed to be rejoining the QLD Cup in a season or two, so I'd assume that the 2022 comment is wrt the NRL.

6. franklin2323

franklin2323 Coach

I would think u20's will involve the same teams as the Ball and Matts are now.

7. siv

siv Juniors

Without the two academy teams and Perth

It could mean the return of the Bears Flegg team

And there will be a question around Aucklands involvement

8. franklin2323

franklin2323 Coach

Auckland need a 20's team. They would want to be part of it. Don't see how it will be better then we have now

9. siv

siv Juniors

4 Qld teams will be spread across 16 clubs

Makes for a riveting final on GF day

Just like RG last year

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016