What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ Herald: RLIF approve massive Change to International Eligibility (Tier 1 & 2 Nations, Origin etc)

adamkungl

Immortal
There was nothing stopping someone like Serbia from stacking their team with imports via grandparent rule before this rule change.
Not in Rugby League or any other sport.
There's nothing inherently sacred about a one-nation-for-life rule. How is someone representing 2 nations he has a strong connection to seen as worse than representing 1 he has the most flimsiest of connections to?

If the rules were strict enough to force a true competition of each nation's domestic strength Australia would be 80-100 points ahead of almost everyone else.

taipan

Referee
Now expect predictably FitzSimons in the Herald ,to death ride the RLWC.His anti league comments appear to keep his blood circulating and oxygen flowing .

deluded pom?

Coach
There was nothing stopping someone like Serbia from stacking their team with imports via grandparent rule before this rule change.
Not in Rugby League or any other sport.
There's nothing inherently sacred about a one-nation-for-life rule. How is someone representing 2 nations he has a strong connection to seen as worse than representing 1 he has the most flimsiest of connections to?

If the rules were strict enough to force a true competition of each nation's domestic strength Australia would be 80-100 points ahead of almost everyone else.

No other sport that I'm aware of allows players to swap nations multiple times in the same year. Unless someone would like to enlighten me otherwise.

adamkungl

Immortal
No other sport that I'm aware of allows players to swap nations multiple times in the same year. Unless someone would like to enlighten me otherwise.

But basically every other sport allows stacking a team with imports.
In the Olympics countries can basically buy athletes with fast tracked citizenship (and cash). Does anyone care? Nope. Because it's entertaining.

Here's a list of nation switchers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportspeople_who_competed_for_more_than_one_country

Multiple times in the same year? Technically legal but in all likelihood very rare in practice, since there will at most be 2 international events per year.

deluded pom?

Coach
The rules being changed to accommodate nations that bring very very little to the table. They can't even produce players, let alone any genuine financial gains for the sport, in the hope that they can compete with the "Big" 3 and it won't impact on SoO.

deluded pom?

Coach
I have pride in whoever wears the Samoan Jersey as long as they have Samoan blood in them... Just because they weren't born and bred in their homeland doesn't make them less Samoan
So you don't care that your Samoan heroes will dump them as soon as something better comes along? There obviously isn't any pride in the shirt or they wouldn't dump Samoa as soon as New Zealand or Australia come courting or put their hands up for Samoa when New Zealand and Australia have finished with them. Or is it simply ALL about maximising the $$$?

supaman

Juniors
So you don't care that your Samoan heroes will dump them as soon as something better comes along? There obviously isn't any pride in the shirt or they wouldn't dump Samoa as soon as New Zealand or Australia come courting or put their hands up for Samoa when New Zealand and Australia have finished with them. Or is it simply ALL about maximising the $$$?
Yeah it hurts when they go to the big teams but coming from a small nation that has basically nothing we can't blame them for taking the money... You've got to be in our shoes to know how we feel... You guys have the resource and money to keep your players we don't have that luxury... One thing the IRL need to do is give us tier 2 nations more tests so that we can compete with the best and that's where the money and sponser will come... People don't realise is that most of those so called "island heritage" players are full blooded islanders born in a foreign country cause their parents moved over for a better life... If everyone paid the same I'll bet you all those players will be committed to the islands... For example in the four nation Anthony Milford couldn't play for Samoa cause of origin rules but he was always on the Samoan bench supporting not the kangaroos... At the end of the day money always wins over pride... Nothing anyone can do about it

deluded pom?

Coach
But basically every other sport allows stacking a team with imports.
In the Olympics countries can basically buy athletes with fast tracked citizenship (and cash). Does anyone care? Nope. Because it's entertaining.

Here's a list of nation switchers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportspeople_who_competed_for_more_than_one_country

Multiple times in the same year? Technically legal but in all likelihood very rare in practice, since there will at most be 2 international events per year.

Athletics is the most corrupt sport on the planet. Your quote of "Does anyone care" is nearer the mark. Maybe not enough people do care and we end up with a free for all and everyone else thinks it's the norm.

hutch

First Grade
Milford can now play SoO and for Samoa but I bet he makes himself available for Australia too.
I was under the impression you still had to have Australia as your first preference to be considered for origin but can play for second nation if you miss kangaroo selection.

deluded pom?

Coach
I was under the impression you still had to have Australia as your first preference to be considered for origin but can play for second nation if you miss kangaroo selection.
The way I read it is Milford could play for Samoa against Tonga in the PI Test, declare for Australia two minutes after that match, play SoO and then play for either Samoa or Australia at the WC depending on selection.

RedVee

First Grade
Disappointing. But typical.

Next they'll want to switch to a 3rd country ffs.

Cut the grandparents rule.
Residency to 5 years (as they are doing).
Better if the switch to tier 2 was only for a World Cup, if not selected for their first choice. Maybe?

What happens if a player refused to play for a Tier 1 when selected?