What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offer Jarome Luia a mega deal

maestro1

Bench
Cos the niggle and crap he gets away with every week at Penriff would make him Public Enemy No 1 for ref's if he was in a Red V.
Plus, a drover's dog could play 5/8 outside Cleary.
If he came here and was the catalyst to us turning the corner and being successful, you would forget that you don't like him and cheer him on to each success. That is guaranteed.

Das Hassler

Bench
Being a 3 times premiership winner and SOO 5/8 Luai could have waited till late '24 to make a decision and by then a spot in a current top 8 side would have come up for the same as what the Tigers offered....but no..he's signing with the current wooden spooners....think about it. He WANTS to play under Benji Marshall and alongside Api and he's ok with the rebuild as it's shaping up. It's not just the money...in 12 months he could have got that anywhere apart from maybe the Panthers and Eels....he's bought into being coached by his boyhood 5/8 idol and proving the doubters wrong ...the hard way!...simple as that

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I thought that during the cooling off 10 day period, only the current club can negotiate to try and get them to re-sign. How can the Dogs put in an offer during the 10 days? Last I checked Luia was a Panther?

New rule is out for a few months and the Dogs already ignore it and NRL can't police it. If Luai signs for the Dogs which I doubt but you never know, I would be extremely pi$$ed at the NRL for letting it happen.

I think it is more of a case the media is using fake news as click bait and Dogs did not even put in a offer.

Here are the new rule guidelines as per Chammas article on Monday.

a) the player must provide notice to his incumbent Club that he has an offer that he will accept in 10 days’ time (subject to negotiations with his incumbent Club);

b) the Club can then engage in contract negotiations with the player for a period of up to 10 days, or the Club may waive its rights in writing (at which point the player is free to sign with the rival Club);

c) the offer from the rival NRL Club must be an official offer and submitted to the NRL Salary Cap Auditor (the contents of which will remain confidential, but the NRL Salary Cap Auditor can provide verification to the incumbent Club that an official offer has been received). The offer must remain open for acceptance for a minimum of 14 days, and for at least 48 hours beyond the expiry of the 10-day negotiation period with the incumbent Club. There is no requirement for the player to disclose the terms of the offer to his incumbent Club;

d) at the expiry of the 10 days, the player may sign (or reject) the offer from the rival Club.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Comes with a lot of baggage and attitude. No. No. No for me. See link:

He seems quite an odd fellow, it's a no for me. Makes Hunt's rant sane.

This signing player business doesn't seem to be that straight forward anymore. If this is going on at Penrith, what chance do we have.

possm

Coach

Flanno is trying....not his fault that he inherited a basket case...

AFB to Sharks because he wants to win a premiership

Dearden was always an outside chance...

Welsby didn't want to leave U.K...

Little available for 24 that we wanted in terms of locking in long term deals.
That's why we signed Eisenhuth / Allan to 1 year deals

Best case scenario is we are fit and more competitive next year...and winning more games makes us a more attractive destination for players...
The Board made it more difficult for Flanno. They should have sacked Griffin before the start of 2023 and allowed Flanno to put players through an off-season training program before the start of 2023.

To me it seems that the Board treats success on the field as a secondary consideration.

possm

Coach
Our lazy recruitment people should get off their bum and provide Flanno with some options to sign. Maybe from the ESL or even from Rugby.

If Hunt moves on we have over 2m to buy a good prop and a good halfback.

Dragon David

First Grade
He seems quite an odd fellow, it's a no for me. Makes Hunt's rant sane.

This signing player business doesn't seem to be that straight forward anymore. If this is going on at Penrith, what chance do we have.
Will the Tigers end up with the same result that we did with AFB? Will Luai end up at the Doggies instead for 2025 and get all the Tigers fans pissed off?

murraymob

Coach
Being a 3 times premiership winner and SOO 5/8 Luai could have waited till late '24 to make a decision and by then a spot in a current top 8 side would have come up for the same as what the Tigers offered....but no..he's signing with the current wooden spooners....think about it. He WANTS to play under Benji Marshall and alongside Api and he's ok with the rebuild as it's shaping up. It's not just the money...in 12 months he could have got that anywhere apart from maybe the Panthers and Eels....he's bought into being coached by his boyhood 5/8 idol and proving the doubters wrong ...the hard way!...simple as that
It’s all about the money nothing more .Anyone who believes differently are kidding themselves

Das Hassler

Bench
It’s all about the money nothing more .Anyone who believes differently are kidding themselves

So you don't think that sometime during the next 12 months developments would have had the same money being offered by even ONE of the other 15 clubs who finished between 1 - 17 in '23 ...thus avoiding locking himself up for 5 years at the current wooden spooners? He seems totally confident in himself...why wouldn't he just wait till late '24 and shoot higher? ( as in choice of club to go to)

Just to add....it's well known and certainly known by his management that the Dragons are desperate for a top tier signing and could blow WT and the Dogs out of the water as far as money is concerned...certainly from '25 on! ..if he doesn't end up at the Dragons then I'd love to hear the rationale of "it's only about the $'s" explain that.

Last edited:

murraymob

Coach
S
So you don't think that sometime during the next 12 months developments would have had the same money being offered by even ONE of the other 15 clubs who finished between 1 - 17 in '23 ...thus avoiding locking himself up for 5 years at the current wooden spooners? He seems totally confident in himself...why wouldn't he just wait till late '24 and shoot higher? ( as in choice of club to go to)

Just to add....it's well known and certainly known by his management that the Dragons are desperate for a top tier signing and could blow WT and the Dogs out of the water as far as money is concerned...certainly from '25 on! ..if he doesn't end up at the Dragons then I'd love to hear the rationale of "it's only about the $'s" explain that.
Simple he has a dud shoulder if he waits and it goes he is worth nothing.Sign now he is guaranteed money for 5 years .The dragons never made an offer simple .They believed the had AFB in the bag .I hate to shock you but footy is a business for both club and player .He has a great deal by the tigers he took it good luck to him .He is looking after his family

Das Hassler

Bench
Not shocking me at all....Injured shoulder or not he could easily pull out of the Tigers deal ( now...after the AFB miss) and the Dragons would be there waiting with a truckload for '25...so he's only signing with the Tigers in case his value drops off...ok...got it :)

possm

Coach
Not shocking me at all....Injured shoulder or not he could easily pull out of the Tigers deal ( now...after the AFB miss) and the Dragons would be there waiting with a truckload for '25...so he's only signing with the Tigers in case his value drops off...ok...got it :)
On reflection, I really would be over the moon if the Dragons could unearth a strong and vigorous young prop who kills it in 2024. We are desperately in need of a prop that leads the forwards and I am afraid that, if we don't recruit one before the start of the season, it may be the case that De Belin moves up front and the Couchman brothers cement a first-grade spot in the forwards.

De Belin is our best lock right now, however, because has worked the middle for so long he would not be out of his depth at prop. So, at seasons start it could be a prop rotation of:

F Molo
De Belin
Lawrie
Sele

Our up-and-coming junior props would get their chance as vacancies occur during the season.