What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Nein stance on 2017 RLWC..

Coastbloke

Bench
I'm interested to know what the official Ch9 stance is for their commentators in regard to the RLWC..

Unless I'm blind (and I was imbibing during all 3 games) I didn't see any signage for the tournament from the camera angles. Did Ch9 demand their removal? Surely SOO would have been the ideal venues to showcase the trophy etc..

Also I'm sure there was absolutely no mention of the RLWC whatsoever..Fatty hates IRL but the others like Sterlo/Locky/Johns all claim to be fans of the International game but not once did I hear anyone say maybe some of the players were hoping for WC selection or to that effect..

Anyone who works at Nein on here care to share perhaps or does anyone else have an opinion why the WC is a non topic there..

Coastbloke

Bench
I think 7 are doing it again, they did a fantastic job with 2013 world cup and they deserve to keep it.

Yes, Seven do have it and I am happy with that, I just want to know why people like Sterlo who have said they love the International game are totally ignoring the tournament. They don't have to mention who broadcasts. Seven did stories on SOO.

deluded pom?

Coach
Yes, Seven do have it and I am happy with that, I just want to know why people like Sterlo who have said they love the International game are totally ignoring the tournament. They don't have to mention who broadcasts. Seven did stories on SOO.
Sterlo lost it for me when he said that the Radradra selection for Australia was a no brainer (or words to that effect). He couldn't or wouldn't see the bigger picture.

hutch

First Grade
Nein have completely ignored the tournament. They fail to see that the success of the tournament is linked with the success of the sport as a whole. They don't care about rugby league.

King hit

Coach
Nein have completely ignored the tournament. They fail to see that the success of the tournament is linked with the success of the sport as a whole. They don't care about rugby league.

I remember Gyngell saying they weren't interested in the 2013 World Cup because there was no money to be made from it.

hutch

First Grade
I remember Gyngell saying they weren't interested in the 2013 World Cup because there was no money to be made from it.

Yeah I remember that too. That's the kind of "rugby league" people we're dealing with. You can guarantee journos such as Kent, Rothfield and Ritchie will be writing columns bagging the tournament and international rugby league.
Nine wont mention it during the nrl season and barely acknowledge it when it is on. "Home of rugby league"!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I f*cking hate 9....

They dont want to invest in and grow the game (and reap benefits along with that), they just want to suck every dollar out of it before it goes belly up.

9s is another great concept with big potential, and again they werent interested because it would immediately make them $millions.

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah I remember that too. That's the kind of "rugby league" people we're dealing with. You can guarantee journos such as Kent, Rothfield and Ritchie will be writing columns bagging the tournament and international rugby league.
Nine wont mention it during the nrl season and barely acknowledge it when it is on. "Home of rugby league"!

We should play World Cup merkin Journo Bingo.

I reckon we could easily come up with a 4x4 grid of media parasites who will bag the tournament in the coming months.

Sad part is more than half would easily be supposed RL fans

Kent Rothfield Ritchie Crawley
Hadley Johns Rabs Vautin
Wilson Fitzsimons Zavos Hill
...... Fill in the gaps

LESStar58

Referee
I'm interested to know what the official Ch9 stance is for their commentators in regard to the RLWC..

Unless I'm blind (and I was imbibing during all 3 games) I didn't see any signage for the tournament from the camera angles. Did Ch9 demand their removal? Surely SOO would have been the ideal venues to showcase the trophy etc..

Also I'm sure there was absolutely no mention of the RLWC whatsoever..Fatty hates IRL but the others like Sterlo/Locky/Johns all claim to be fans of the International game but not once did I hear anyone say maybe some of the players were hoping for WC selection or to that effect..

Anyone who works at Nein on here care to share perhaps or does anyone else have an opinion why the WC is a non topic there..

wHILE i ENDORSE YOUR CORE point about promoting the World Cup and the international game generally... Channel 7 have the World Cup so 9 are practically absolved of their responsibility to promote it. Then again, if they did have it I doubt they'd do a competent job of doing so.

I don't watch Seven because I hate them but can anybody tell me how they are doing with promotion? I remember Kochie cringing when they handed him his personalised RLWC shirt on Sunrise.

On the Fox telecast once upon a time they had in-goal RLWC advertising. I tweeted by delight at this once upon a time and had Brad Walter and Andrew Hill retweet me. Hopefully now that Origin is out of the way we see more of this on Fox at the very least. And more people are watching Fox than Nine now anyway so it's getting out to a larger market on PTV than on commercial tele.

Question though; did Fox have some sort of deal struck to broadcast the cup? Think I heard something about it.

grouch

First Grade
The sappy Erin Molan interview with Johnathan Thurston was rather telling, I thought. Made absolutely zero mention of the fact that JT's injury robbed him of a chance of defending the World Cup. Not one mention even in passing

deluded pom?

Coach
The sappy Erin Molan interview with Johnathan Thurston was rather telling, I thought. Made absolutely zero mention of the fact that JT's injury robbed him of a chance of defending the World Cup. Not one mention even in passing
Not from Molan but JT did mention the WC was at the end of the year.

Last Week

Bench
I can't say that I expected 9 to promote the WC at all. It's not in their interests.

Fox on the other hand...

taipan

Referee
Channel nein and promoting rugby league !!!!. LOL LOL.
That's like asking Putin to promote NATO as a force for good.
If Nein did try promtion , they end up calling it NABISCO. Couldn't sell matches to an eskimo.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
You have to realise that channel nine is only the tip of the iceberg. The out of touch, visionless, parasitic dinosaurs are present in the clubs, the stands, the management and the media. Not just in Australia either. It is like league needs that generation to just die off before any progress forward can be made.

taipan

Referee
You have to realise that channel nine is only the tip of the iceberg. The out of touch, visionless, parasitic dinosaurs are present in the clubs, the stands, the management and the media. Not just in Australia either. It is like league needs that generation to just die off before any progress forward can be made.

Agree people can be dedicated to the game in the past, know how to bring on players ,run local junior clubs.That's their limitation.
It's a completely different world out there, where you are competing on a far bigger stage ,with full time players ,and competition from other codes,some absolutely huge.
Marketing and promotion and business management na the ability to lobby Governments are essential for any organisation to project their "product" to the masses.

With all the money that has sloshed around in rugby league since the 60s,the infrastructure in Sydney has barely moved forward,we still have insular my club people with too much influence at the top.

We should have been the No1 code circa 1995 ,then SL and greed intervened ,and any money rl had in the so called war chest was obliterated.

If there is a code that is an expert at shooting itself in the foot,rl would be gold medalists year after year.

Billythekid

First Grade
Channel 9 will advertise league when it's in the form of SOO. It's like 90% of their annual league advertising goes towards SOO.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
We should play World Cup merkin Journo Bingo.

I reckon we could easily come up with a 4x4 grid of media parasites who will bag the tournament in the coming months.

Sad part is more than half would easily be supposed RL fans

Kent Rothfield Ritchie Crawley
Hadley Johns Rabs Vautin
Wilson Fitzsimons Zavos Hill
...... Fill in the gaps

Dan Ginnane as well. That hack has somehow landed a job with Channel 7 for the tournament despite being a vocal critic of the 2013 WC.

adamkungl

Immortal
Dan Ginnane as well. That hack has somehow landed a job with Channel 7 for the tournament despite being a vocal critic of the 2013 WC.

We could have Gold Silver and Bronze medals for shittest articles.

And special categories for different genres:

The Soccer "Back in your box" award - for the most patronising suggestion that RL sticks to what it's good at, ie. eastern seaboard suburban comps.

The AFL "Fear of international sports" award - for the most incoherent rave about Australian sport not needing pesky foreigners to be relevant.

The Union "Fear of relevant and entertaining sports" award - for the most elitist, vitriolic and/or hypocritical dismissal of the event.

But most importantly the Rugby League "Parasitic dinosaur oxygen thief" award - for those who make a living from the game but actively discourage its growth. For the nastiest, most short sighted article or commentary from a Rugby League writer whose livelihood is dependent on the sport.

Latest posts