What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OKI vs WIN: the stadium battle

R2K

Bench
OKI vs WIN: the stadium battle

By Brad Forrest (St.George Leader) – 9 June 2005

With their feet, St.George-Illawarra fans could force a swing of more home games to Kogarah’s Oki Jubilee Stadium next year.

WIN Stadium presently hosts the greater number of Dragons home games (seven to five).

However, if Kogarah’s average crowd figures for their five home games top those at WIN this season, the football club management will be under pressure to stage more matches – or at least an even share – of home games at Kogarah for the 2006 season.

So far crowds averaging about 13,500 have attended the first six games in Wollongong this season, with the club in continuing lease talks with the Wollongong Entertainment Centre over next season’s plans.

With the first grade team’s return to form, the Dragons management expect a near sell-out, or about 16,000 fans, for Sunday’s game against North Queensland Cowboys at Oki – the first Dragons game played there this season.

“All grandstand seating for the Kogarah games have been sold, so we encourage anyone wanting to see the match to pre-purchase tickets or get to the ground early,” said Michael McDonald, the Dragons’ marketing general manager.

“The surface is in great nick and new Dragons players like Colin Best and Michael Ennis can’t wait to actually play a game there.”

While additional concourse seating and new turnstiles won’t be installed now until after the league season, Sydney’s fine weather has allowed workmen lots of time to complete extra work beside the grandstand. New lighting is also on the agenda.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Obviously, Kogarah will receive the lion's share of home game to make up for the uneven allocation since 2000??

Red Bear

Referee
While i think R2K did a great job to get you guys back to Kograh cant stand the obvious bias and anti Illawarra feeling.
Should be split down the middle, the home games. Myabe 6/5 one way one year then 6/5 the other, with the other home game alternating between the ANZAC match and the SCG match.

Dakink

Bench
Totally agree - as a fan a long way away from Sydney\The Gong I personally think they should be shared evenly. I couldnt give a rats about the pro Saints\ pro Gong battle. Both parties should be treated equally and both areas should recieve equal exposure.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
GoTheBears said:
While i think R2K did a great job to get you guys back to Kograh cant stand the obvious bias and anti Illawarra feeling.
Where? And why bring it up???

Its a published article from the Leader.

If you want to look at mindless bias go to the steel drapes mob who ban any alternative view and repeatedly shoot the messenger. Sadly, they are entrenched in an 'us vs them' mentality. They are their own worst enemies.

All R2K have ever asked for is a 50/50 split and have called for improvements at Kogarah. Show me the bias and anti-Illawarra feeling in that.

LocalDarby

Juniors
i live near jubilee stadium and ive been to 4 or 5 games at wollongong this year. they are both great grounds, but kogarah is and always will be the home of the dragons.

Jeffles

Bench
6 all would be fair.

But WIN appears to have more corporate facilities (3 grandstands worth). Does that mean they make more money there than at Oki?

Red Bear

Referee
50/50 would be good, but of course they only get 11 proper home games a year. 6/5 on alternitive years should be what happens.

Nugby

Juniors
GoTheBears said:

As Willow said, R2K is pushing for half the games and improved facilities (such as the lighting), and has every right to do so. R2K has been instrumental in pushing for the Dragons side of the merger to be treated equally and deserves to be rewarded, not abused by opposition sh*tstirrers.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
50/50 is not only good, it's essential.

There's 12 home games. But in 2007, the potential is there for an extra home game when GC comes in. Depends how the NRL structures the season.

There will always a chance they'll give up a home game for a country or interstate fixture and of course there's the Anzac match at the SFS.

Red Bear

Referee
Willow said:
50/50 is not only good, it's essential.

There's 12 home games. But in 2007, the potential is there for an extra home game when GC comes in. Depends how the NRL structures the season.

There will always a chance they'll give up a home game for a country or interstate fixture and of course there's the Anzac match at the SFS.
But generally there is only 11 at Win and Kograh becasue of the Anzac match and the SCG game, which alternate between who's home game it is (to my understanding). So it should be done 6/5. Next year you guys would get 6/5 cos Wollongong has the advantage for some time, the year after 6/5 to wollongong n so on.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
GoTheBears said:
But generally there is only 11 at Win and Kograh becasue of the Anzac match and the SCG game, which alternate between who's home game it is (to my understanding).
That's correct about the Anzac match... It's a St George home game next year so we'll lose one at either Kogarah or Wollongong. Previously it was Kogarah which was expected to drop a game. In 2004, we only had 4 games at Kogarah so by rights, Wollongong should drop the next one in 2006, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for that.
GoTheBears said:
So it should be done 6/5. Next year you guys would get 6/5 cos Wollongong has the advantage for some time, the year after 6/5 to wollongong n so on.
Sounds fair on the surface. But there's still the home games at exotic venues like Perth, Adelaide and Gosford to consider.
And again, there'll 16 teams in 2007.

Red Bear

Referee
true
Ah well, i'll be getting my first taste of Kograh Oval(apart from driving by it everyt ime i got to sydney) later in the year, should be good.

R2K

Bench
Thanks Nugby and Willow.

GoThe Bears, as Willow said, the article was from the St.George & Sutherland Shire Leader. You may not like the article, but being from R2K I will focus on any news article that relates to Kogarah Jubilee.

GoTheBears, on a different note, I think the NRL could have treated Norths a lot better and I think that Club has suffered more than any other Club out of the Super League fiasco. The Central Coast Bears should have been granted a franchise last year. Having said that, the JVs should be compensated for the current structure/2007 structure of the competition.

R2K

Bench
Jeffles:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]" OKI Jubilee Stadium is a lot cheaper, more cost effective for the club. We don't pay the rental fees we have at WIN Stadium and we get the proceeds from food and beverage sales and a bigger return from corporate hospitality."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dragons' CEO Peter L Doust (Sydney Morning Herald) [/font]
This statement was made before the $8 million Federal funding which will obviously make a huge difference to the venue.

Red Bear

Referee
R2K said:
Thanks Nugby and Willow.

GoThe Bears, as Willow said, the article was from the St.George & Sutherland Shire Leader. You may not like the article, but being from R2K I will focus on any news article that relates to Kogarah Jubilee.

GoTheBears, on a different note, I think the NRL could have treated Norths a lot better and I think that Club has suffered more than any other Club out of the Super League fiasco. The Central Coast Bears should have been granted a franchise last year. Having said that, the JVs should be compensated for the current structure/2007 structure of the competition.
Yeah sorry bout that, a misinterpratation on my behalf

Latest posts