What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Once a Warrior with Monty Betham

Scott

Bench
Betham had Andrew Webster on the show this week. Very impressed with him overall. Saying the right things. No bullshit with him. The fact he has been here before and loves the country should be a good thing and hopefully he can entice new signings with that outlook.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Betham had Andrew Webster on the show this week. Very impressed with him overall. Saying the right things. No bullshit with him. The fact he has been here before and loves the country should be a good thing and hopefully he can entice new signings with that outlook.
I'm such a big fan. I reckon you can just tell with people over a period of time whether they are made of the right stuff as a person, a coach, a mentor etc. And I feel like that's him. I don't mean that to say lock in a premiership 2023 baby (god knows there's a lot of other factors at play) but he just exudes a calm, intelligent confidence that rugby league sides need.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
When the Lauiti'iti episode was advertised on Facebook, Petero Civoniceva took to FB to comment that Ali was the most skilled big man in history and specifically noted that he was "on another level" to SBW. Thought that was pretty interesting given the players (particularly more vaunted Aussie players) Petero played with and against.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Great show with Frank Endacott

Shame he never got more of a crack at it, absolutely top bloke who I’ve had the pleasure of watching some local club footy with on the sidelines

Great yarn in there about a night in Canberra in 98 where some big hombres attacked Sean Hoppe and it turned into an all in brawl, and Frank was cleaning house in the back alley to make sure none of his players got injured, Okesene was meant to be backup but he tripped over and knocked himself out on the way

TheDMC

Bench
I haven't watched any of these episodes but am keen to play catch up - any recommendations on the top 3 episodes to kick off with?

Daniel Anderson episode is a good one and my personal favourite.
I feel they need to make it longer and let it breathe a bit more like Hammer and Roos content.
Way too edited for my likings lol

I loved how Daniel Anderson just told Iafeta that he must always offload the ball at all costs. Iafeta kept that gallop and late offload in his game throughout his career :)

They are a great watch and i think Monty is the perfect person to front them. Ive only watched a couple and 1 was Kevin Locke. Bit pissed they didnt bring up any of his dickhead sh1t he done but i get it

Grizzman

Juniors
I've just started listening to a few of these on the podcast. Man, they are a a really good listen. The Steve Price interview when he talked about the passion of the Mt Smart crowd making him tear up was pretty special!

Matua

Bench
I've been mini bingeing this the last day or two. Such a good podcast especially in comparison to that other one so involved with the Wahs crap. Whereas they try throwing in nicknames all the time so half the time we don't know who they're talking about, Monty, who knows all the nicknames mostly sticks to full names. He also lets the guys talk without too much interruption.

I really enjoyed the recent RTS one (interesting about how he was set on going to Japan), Dean Bell (my favourite player alongside Olsen Filipaina as a kid - he was a Maori boy fairer than me ;) ), and Vinne Anderson (was cool to hear how he came up later in life).

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I've been mini bingeing this the last day or two. Such a good podcast especially in comparison to that other one so involved with the Wahs crap. Whereas they try throwing in nicknames all the time so half the time we don't know who they're talking about, Monty, who knows all the nicknames mostly sticks to full names. He also lets the guys talk without too much interruption.

I really enjoyed the recent RTS one (interesting about how he was set on going to Japan), Dean Bell (my favourite player alongside Olsen Filipaina as a kid - he was a Maori boy fairer than me ;) ), and Vinne Anderson (was cool to hear how he came up later in life).
Roger one is great actually. Found it interesting that they started talks to return in December and we didnt hear a peep until April. No leaks.

I reckon I could actually work my way through all of them, have done Francis Meli (another really good one), Rog and Justin Murphy so far. Good chat from Monty

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Roger one is great actually. Found it interesting that they started talks to return in December and we didnt hear a peep until April. No leaks.
not too surprised at that. Cam George said that they’ve basically kept channels of communication open with all the players who left on good terms during the Covid period to ensure that if there was an opportunity to get them back it could be taken, so I imagine proper negotiations were just quietly started as part of that process.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Haven’t seen many of them so far this season, but did enjoy Joe Galuvao last week

Tomorrows should be an absolute ripper, Marc Ellis

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Great yarn in there about a night in Canberra in 98 where some big hombres attacked Sean Hoppe and it turned into an all in brawl, and Frank was cleaning house in the back alley to make sure none of his players got injured, Okesene was meant to be backup but he tripped over and knocked himself out on the way

When Marc Ellis was asked about Stacey Jones in last night's episode for some reason this incident was the first thing he thought of

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Haven’t seen many of them so far this season, but did enjoy Joe Galuvao last week

Tomorrows should be an absolute ripper, Marc Ellis

The parallels and contrasts between Monty and Galuvao were interesting. Both the same age, came through the grades and the Warriors together, but by the start of the 2002 season Betham was Warriors captain and Galuvao was a reserve grader. At that point no-one could've possibly guessed that their careers would go in totally opposite directions and Galuvao would play another 200+ first grade games and 3 grand finals for 3 different clubs.

The mixture of pride, admiration and slight envy Monty had for Joe was fascinating viewing.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
When Marc Ellis was asked about Stacey Jones in last night's episode for some reason this incident was the first thing he thought of
I loved the Horo story, turning 5mins up late for the bus then chucking a dodgy dvd into the player for the lads to watch

Looking at some of those highlights I didn’t realise how many good moments Ellis actually had in a warriors jersey, and always good to hear Graeme Hughes shouting “sensatiooooooooooonal”

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I loved the Horo story, turning 5mins up late for the bus then chucking a dodgy dvd into the player for the lads to watch

Looking at some of those highlights I didn’t realise how many good moments Ellis actually had in a warriors jersey, and always good to hear Graeme Hughes shouting “sensatiooooooooooonal”

Obviously they are curated highlights packages, but yeah I’ve felt that way about a lot of players. When you just watch the highlights taken out of the stressful context of watching a game live, you appreciate just how many good moments even players you thought were ordinary had.

Latest posts