What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Referee / No Video Ref

Stallion

First Grade
It was a very entertaining game! Cam Smith just endorsed the one referee as it provided consistency and let the game flow better! Thats a big wrap for one referee! Really enjoyed the game! Hopefully the NRL take note.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
It was a great game and great way to start the World Cup.
However, why the hell are we STILL not using neutral referees. There is no way known that Matt Cecchin should be refereeing a game involving Australia, its beyond farcical.
No other sport would ever allow this, real amateur hour.

We always used to have neutral referees, even for the meaningless ANZAC Test. Why has this changed the last few years?

snickers007

Juniors
However, why the hell are we STILL not using neutral referees. There is no way known that Matt Cecchin should be refereeing a game involving Australia, its beyond farcical.
No other sport would ever allow this, real amateur hour.

Impartiality is part of the job. Are you insinuating that Cecchin is incapable of calling the game fairly?

Should Henry Perenara be allowed to referee games involving the Warriors, Storm, Dragons, Eels or Sharks? He played for all of them!

Maybe all referees need to disclose who their favorite team was when they were a kid so we can keep them away. Gotta keep the game pure afterall.

Cmon dude. The best referee should get the best games. End of story.

Vee

First Grade
It was a very entertaining game! Cam Smith just endorsed the one referee as it provided consistency and let the game flow better! Thats a big wrap for one referee! Really enjoyed the game! Hopefully the NRL take note.
Oh yeah, because Cam Smith's opinion on refereeing is valid.

Jack Deth

Juniors
I think the the fact that they nearly lost the ashes twice 90 and 92 v GB. Made the Aussies start down the path to homers.When the 94 Ashes came up all 3 matches were given to Aussie refs. 2001 two of the three were Aussies refs.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
I agree it should be impartial refereee

Some of Cecchin critical calls were laughable

But the pace was so fast. Faster than SOO. It was going to come down to errors. Pity it was a referee error yhat wrapped up the game

Who is the best non Aussie or English referee ?

Any decent referee is already in the ESL or NRL

The Partisan

Impartiality is part of the job. Are you insinuating that Cecchin is incapable of calling the game fairly?

Should Henry Perenara be allowed to referee games involving the Warriors, Storm, Dragons, Eels or Sharks? He played for all of them!

Maybe all referees need to disclose who their favorite team was when they were a kid so we can keep them away. Gotta keep the game pure afterall.

Cmon dude. The best referee should get the best games. End of story.

Well said mate. This age old neutrality argument is very boring.

latingringo101

Juniors
I remember when England were denied a try in the 2014 four nations in Melbourne which was massively scrutinized by the players and fans alike.

There's arguments for and against for neutral refs but i think it should be on the RLIFs checklist to provide neutral and high quality refs for future tournaments.

snickers007

Juniors
Well kangaroos scored 8 points of the rare times he blew the whistle, just coincidence I'm sure!

So we have a direct causality between penalties against England, and Australia scoring points?

If thats the case, it would make more sense for Cecchin to blow a dozen penalties against the Poms, really stitch them up. But he blew 3 penalties, so this was clearly not the case.

Did he make mistakes? Probably. Did they have anything to do with his "lack of neutrity"? No, its like all mistakes referees make - poor positioning, fatigue, dud call from touchie.

thorson1987

Coach
Neutral refs is all well and good, provided we can provide refs from other countries that are up to standard.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.

I don't know much about the French refereeing situation but if Perenara is the best of the Kiwis, then unfortunately we shouldn't have a Kiwi ref at the tournament. He shouldn't be anywhere near NSW Cup let alone NRL level.

Vee

First Grade
I thought Ceccin failed to hold the defence, blokes were leaving early and disrupting the attack. And flopping is back in a big way with Sharon Woods leading the charge.

Latest posts