What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 1 at Melbourne Covid Ground

Refund the locally purchased tickets and move it to Perth. It isn't like it wouldn't sell out in minutes anyway, but with these rule changes strangling the game to death, maybe it wouldn't this time.

Western Australia are the first state to pull the drawbridge up when there’s a COVID case interstate...

Would be barmy to try and go there, all they need is someone like the fella last month looking at bbqs around Sydney full of COVID then boom - the WA border shuts again.

I reckon it’ll end up in Qld somewhere.. PVL already has a working relationship with the state govt and is adament he “wants to secure Qld” from the southern invaders. With Qld teams still going average I reckon 2 games in Qld will be on his radar if Melbourne tanks,

www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2021-state-of-origin-news-covid19-updates-melbourne-cricket-ground-game-1-venues/news-story/c8f3f6abc6deafd523b982eb78ed54b6

Canberra, perth, Adelaide are the alternate venues if Melbourne falls through. Can't imagine Adelaide or Perth would sellout if it's too late notice, unless they play at HBF or Hindmarsh

It’s too short notice to sell out the Adelaide oval or Optus..

Adelaide was close to sold out when COVID knocked it on the head last year. A lot of tickets were blatchys n Qld fan bays... so presumably travellers.. which you wouldn’t get as many of at short notice..

As much as I’d love it here again.. 2 times in a row where it’s all a scramble with Covid and the like... little/no promotion etc.., they’d still get a decent turn out but wouldn’t do the game justice.

50% capacity last year (which was a “sellout”) with players flying in on the day, many hadnt played for 6 weeks... the game was a bludger to watch. It’d be best to come back with notice and all guns blazing in 2023...

But If they did come back here at least we’d have more star players - and everyone would be match fit and with recent games under their belt.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
Surely it is a certainty that it moves given the lock down. At best the lock down ends 6 days before the game.

Th NRL want it a neutral venue. Perth IMO is a big risk given their propensity to close their border. Adelaide is an option but bizarrely Canberra seems the best fit given the circumstances.

99isthebest

Juniors
Don’t understand the push for a neutral venue at this point. It always use to be swapped every year between which state had two games.

Just do it again this year. Pretty sure half the people who have tickets are from nsw/qld anyways and could just have there tickets transferred and if they just start fresh they will sell out in minutes.

I know if they decided to host game 1 at Suncorp I’d be trying to get tickets.

Danish

Referee
Newcastle would be my pick.

would sell out in a hour, and you could probably sell another 10,000 tickets to watch it on massive screens in the car park.

Same thing applies to Townsville. But you know, f**k QLD.

Knowing the NRL they’ll play it in the NT or some bullshit

State of Origin 2021: Decision on MCG match due in next 24 hours (theage.com.au)

Will know by this time tomorrow - but a few places inc Adelaide putting their hand up..

Australia Rugby League Commission boss Peter V’landys says the NRL will decide in the next 24 hours whether to move the first State of Origin to avoid a potentially crowdless fixture.

Canberra, Adelaide and Perth have all put their hands up to host in the event the match needs to be relocated as Victorian public health and emergency officials continue to debate whether greater COVID-19 restrictions need to be implemented.

V’landys said the NRL would be consulting with a number of biosecurity experts over the next 24 hours and would make a call after seeing the number of cases on Thursday.

“There are a few options but we will wait to see in the next 24 hours to see what occurs, there are six or seven options we could take,” he said.

“We will decide in the next 24 hours after speaking with our biosecurity experts and looking at the data. Every decision we’ve made with COVID, which has proven successful, is to look at the data.”

V’landys said the preference was to honour the contract with the Victorian Government in keeping the game in Melbourne but said ticket sales had taken a massive hit as a result of the outbreak.

The ARLC boss said the NRL was also considering charter flights to fly players in and out of Melbourne as well as tightening restrictions on the players ahead of the June 9 fixture.

“There is no doubt the threat of COVID always has an effect on ticket sales,” he said.

“There is a strong possibility we might leave it there even if there is a lesser crowd ... but naturally we want crowds for State of Origin.”

6055ea91411764bbfc687bb12d12349cb3369b6b

The MCG game has already seen sluggish ticket sales. CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

Earlier in the week, NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo said the game was looking to host the first game in a neutral state if it was to be moved.

V’landys said there was “no doubt” each of the cities was eager to host the event.

A spokeswoman for Adelaide Oval said the venue would be delighted to be considered if the situation occurred.

“We hope for everyone’s sake that COVID doesn’t result in the need for a change of venue,” she said.

“However, if it did, we would welcome the opportunity to discuss Adelaide Oval’s ability to host game one.”

On Tuesday, Perth also put their hand in the ring. A spokeswoman for Optus Stadium said the new venue would be able to do so at short notice after hosting a State of Origin match in 2019. Perth is set to host a fixture again next year.

“In the event that COVID-19 restrictions mean it is unable for game one to go ahead as planned in Melbourne, Optus Stadium has the experience and would be willing to work with the State of Origin to investigate the possibility of hosting the game in Perth subject to the latest health advice,” she said.

Canard

Immortal
Perth is out IMO, there premier is to gun shy.

Adelaide is going to struggle to sell at such short notice.

If you go on the booking websites accom in Townsville is $300+ a night on Origin night.

People are either anticipating it or have some info

Hartwood

Juniors
Perth is out IMO, there premier is to gun shy.

Adelaide is going to struggle to sell at such short notice.

If you go on the booking websites accom in Townsville is $300+ a night on Origin night.

People are either anticipating it or have some info
It's all but confirmed that game 1 will be at Townsville if they cannot play at the MCG.

"the NRL has booked out an accomodation venue in Townsville and made function reservations at local restaurants." - Fox Sports

davi

Juniors
Newcastle would be my pick.

would sell out in a hour, and you could probably sell another 10,000 tickets to watch it on massive screens in the car park.

Same thing applies to Townsville. But you know, f**k QLD.

Knowing the NRL they’ll play it in the NT or some bullshit

As mentioned its Townsville. While the Newcastle suggestion has some merit apparently it wasn't on the radar for the NSW government. It was reported they made a late bid to host it at Parramatta's Bankwest Stadium which was knocked back.

Its been reported Townsville are adding a extra 2000 seats to their venue lifting the seating capacity from 25,000 to 27,000 .

beave

Coach
As mentioned its Townsville. While the Newcastle suggestion has some merit apparently it wasn't on the radar for the NSW government. It was reported they made a late bid to host it at Parramatta's Bankwest Stadium which was knocked back.

Its been reported Townsville are adding a extra 2000 seats to their venue lifting the seating capacity from 25,000 to 27,000 .

I actually think they could get closer to 30k in the joint if they tried.

I went to the opener last year and 2 weeks ago vs the knights and at the back of each lower bay there is a huge amount of standing area and the top tier is elevated to be able to give you a view from the concession areas (they copied the Optus Oval ethos)

This is the view from that area

2-BB2-D20-E-9546-4830-84-D0-8040478-D77-D5.jpg

There is 16-17 lower bays, you could honestly fit 100 people easily behind each bay in these areas.

The northern end has quite a large standing area as well which even taken into consideration the temp grandstand seating they are putting in you could fit probably another 1k in GA tickets as well as the 2k in temp seating.

There is also room at the top of the western stand that would allow about 500 between the 3 ‘sky decks’, below is one of them

images

Not sure if standing tickets are allowed in these covid times but i really hope the stadium are looking at these options to pack the joint to the brim. It really is a f**king amazing stadium, I urge anyone that has a remote inkling to go up and watch their team play to get up and do it, the designers have done an excellent job.

Last edited:
After losing game 1, does the mcg get game 3? They have to move it from Sydney...

Newcastle seems logical but i can see merit in AAMI park…

Given the series has been a landslide and it’s a dead rubber - the only places I can see it getting a full-house is these two stadiums or possibly Canberra.

AAMI would pretty much be “neutral” fans though given border controls. But there is a highly under-appreciated rugby league fan base in Melbourne that should be more recognised and rewarded…

I’d have no problem or hesitation taking the third game to Melbourne.

Latest posts