What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin Thread

Frank Facer

First Grade
Playing 13 is totally different to playing edge especially at that level.
13's today are more like 8 & 10 so not surprised TF wasn't his usual damaging self.
I think Frizzell was playing second row (edge forward), and Jackson was playing lock (in the middle).

I think Frizzell's best position is lock. At lock he is in the game more, but at second row he sort of has to wait for the game to come to him. He played lock for NSW last year and was one of our best. I think he would be in the top 3 locks in the game, along with DeBelin and Taumalolo. Jake Trbojovic would also be high on the list.

Frank Facer

First Grade
NSW had it all over QLD in the forwards. How many QLD forwards would make NSW side? I think QLD missed Scott and Thurston to the max. I think Thurston is the biggest reason for Qld's success over the last 11 years. I still think that DeBelin and Vaughan should have been picked. Now with us winning it is going to make it even harder for them to force their way into the team, not just this year, but next year too. Whoever is coach will say that they will stick with the winning team. I think DeBelin should be the starting lock. DeBelin v Jackson (Jackson played in the middle tonight, even though he had a second rowers number on his back), DeBelin for sure. But it looks like Jackson will be a main stay of our team for many years to come. I think DeBelin is made for origin.

I would have picked Bird at centre ahead of Dugan. Bird should be picked ahead of Dugan in game 2. I am so happy that we won't have Dugan eating up so much of our salary cap. I think we can develop into a better attacking unit without Dugan.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Tedesco was unbelievable. On that performance he should be the Australian #1 - completely outplayed Boyd.

On Boyd, I thought he was very disappointing. With Thurston and Inglis out Boyd really needed to step up and show some leadership which I think he failed to do. Definitely didn't justify leaving Slater out.

Fifita is the best prop in the game. Daylight 2nd. Scary part is his best years are ahead of him.

Morris has still got it.

Dugan had some good efforts but his timing was definitely out. Will be much better in a few weeks.

Hayne is an Origin player. Never knock a champion.

O'Neill was terrible.

Gagai was QLD best.

QLD will need to bring back Slater, Boyd to the wing, Gagai to centre for Game II.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
QLD for game 2 -

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Chambers
4. Gagai
5. Oates/Holmes
6. Cronk
7. JT
8. Napa
9. Smith
10. Wallace
11. Papalii
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Milford
15. Thaiday
16. Guerra
17. Bolton/Lillyman

I would have Milford as the bench utility. Morgan is a good player but Milford would cause havoc in the middle to later stages of the game when everyone is tired and he's on fresh legs. He played well last night.
O'Neill and Myles drop out, Wallace has done enough for selection.

QLD have some serious problems in their forward pack depth.

saintsarealive1

Juniors
Tedesco was unbelievable. On that performance he should be the Australian #1 - completely outplayed Boyd.

On Boyd, I thought he was very disappointing. With Thurston and Inglis out Boyd really needed to step up and show some leadership which I think he failed to do. Definitely didn't justify leaving Slater out.

Fifita is the best prop in the game. Daylight 2nd. Scary part is his best years are ahead of him.

Morris has still got it.

Dugan had some good efforts but his timing was definitely out. Will be much better in a few weeks.

Hayne is an Origin player. Never knock a champion.

O'Neill was terrible.

Gagai was QLD best.

QLD will need to bring back Slater, Boyd to the wing, Gagai to centre for Game II.
Agree with your backlihe.
Also QLD need to add some power to their pack. Nate Myles and his mates are not going to get near our pack. Imagine if Vaughan played for nsw as well.

Heard Kevvy Walters asking his guys to check if Vaughan played his first senior game for Taree.

Thats close enough to the QLD border on their maps.

possm

Coach
Our target should have always been Tedesco. We had to potential cap space even without TPA however, I am sure the player manager could have flushed out a TPA.

Dugan and Furguson should not be selected for SOO 2. Even though we had a fantastic win, Qld will be a much better side in game 2 mainly because the series will be on the line.

Bird to 3, Hayne to 5 and Lafai to 4.

mickeylane

Bench
Cronulla looked very good tonight. They will be hard to beat this year. Back to back is well on the cards.....
I said that earlier this month Sharks are real deal for 2 in a row - I really think it's between us and Roosters in GF to face them.

saintsarealive1

Juniors
Our target should have always been Tedesco. We had to potential cap space even without TPA however, I am sure the player manager could have flushed out a TPA.

Dugan and Furguson should not be selected for SOO 2. Even though we had a fantastic win, Qld will be a much better side in game 2 mainly because the series will be on the line.

Bird to 3, Hayne to 5 and Lafai to 4.
Daley won't change the winning team. But i agree, Duges out. And Fergo out. But it wont happen. It was 28/4

possm

Coach
Fifita the Metre Eater!!!!! great game.
Tedessco played his best game of the year.
He was inch perfect when he needed to be on our backline.
Thought Hayne was going to knock himself off after he scored the try.
Maloney and the Cronulla connection made a big difference.

Only when Pearce came off did l think we could win it.
Pearce is the McCrone of SOO.
Is Fifita signed for 2018? Maybe he is the big signing Millward is talking about?

Coffs dragon

Bench
Friz was awesome as usual and Dugan was terrible.

The problem is with Dugan is:
He's too slow to be a winger.
He doesn't pass at centre so the winger is wasted.

I don't think he should be picked for game 2.
Unfortunately I must agree with you and I do believe NSW would be better served with Jack Bird at right centre feeding Ferguson or Mansour if and when he returns. Duges is a good and safe Fullback and really a fill in at centre only.

hazzbeen

Bench
Unfortunately I must agree with you and I do believe NSW would be better served with Jack Bird at right centre feeding Ferguson or Mansour if and when he returns. Duges is a good and safe Fullback and really a fill in at centre only.
If they are serious Duges rep days are over bar injuries , There are better Fullbacks better centres and wingers than him .

dragonfire

Bench
that first half, if Slater was playing it could have played out differently. You cant go past having Smith/Cronk/Slater in the team due to the decade of them playing for the same team and just knowing their games.

Woods and Klemmer could be upgraded. Woods is lucky that Fifita was so dominant as you miss how ineffective he was as a prop

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Did anyone notice on those Telstra stat things Frizell recorded the 3rd fastest running time in the game, something like 32km/h? Behind only Oates and Tedesco?

Minh

First Grade
Did anyone notice on those Telstra stat things Frizell recorded the 3rd fastest running time in the game, something like 32km/h? Behind only Oates and Tedesco?

Didn't notice but Frizzell has tremendous leg speed, remember he ran down Gagai last year from behind...

Datramp

Juniors

Yeah saw that.

I watched the game and just though what if we had have had Vaughn instead of Woods. Imagine Vaughn on one side and Fatfita on the other. Would have been a demolition.