What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

84 Baby

Referee

Gronk

Staff member
I saw that the Swans rake in $17M per season in corporate sponsorship. Even more reason to f**king panic !
freakout.gif

But seriously, just shows you that the cash is out there if you are successful and have a brand image that the corporates want to be associated with.

Suitman

Post Whore
Update on HAL membership
team 16/17 (15/16 %) no to match last season
Melb Vic 21842* (27054/ 81%) 5212
Wanderers 18061* (18381/ 98%) 300*
Easts 9291* (13154/ 71%) 3863
Melb City 8335* (9548/ 87%) 1213
Newcastle 6978 (9266/ 75%) 2288
Adelaide 6030 (8750/ 67%) 2720
Perth 5889* (7109/ 83%) 1220
Mariners 3691 (6059/ 60%) 2368
Brisbane 3333 (8112/ 37%) 4779
Phoenix 2200 (5062/ 41%) 2862
*updates from various sources.

Suitman

Post Whore
Nice bit of promotion by a fairly lame article today.
The 8:1 ratio of tickets sold claimed is a furphy and poor journalism, but that's not a surprise from a News article..
15000 public tickets have been sold, so if Easts have only bought 5000, that makes it 2:1 ratio, not including 18000 season ticket memberships already sold to Wanderers fans which shouldn't be included.
Add maybe 8000 ANZ members, and ticket sales are already above 40000.
This is 3 weeks out from the game. Should get 60 000.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/f...d/news-story/883b25dfefa946245e423418f80c632c

Gronk

Staff member
Nice bit of promotion by a fairly lame article today.
The 8:1 ratio of tickets sold claimed is a furphy and poor journalism, but that's not a surprise from a News article..
15000 public tickets have been sold, so if Easts have only bought 5000, that makes it 2:1 ratio, not including 18000 season ticket memberships already sold to Wanderers fans which shouldn't be included.
Add maybe 8000 ANZ members, and ticket sales are already above 40000.
This is 3 weeks out from the game. Should get 60 000.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/f...d/news-story/883b25dfefa946245e423418f80c632c
GWS v Swans got 60,222.

Suitman

Post Whore
Postecoglou lashes European leagues
72% of original size (was 700x394) - Click to enlarge
Ange Postecoglou has insisted he will pick the best players no matter what league they play in (Getty Images)

Returning from a scouting trip to name his latest World Cup qualifying squad, Postecoglou said he wasn't eager to head back to watch overseas-based Australians in action.

"Watch some football from Europe. It's hard to watch. It's very poor in standard," he said.

"I'm not just talking about the UK. I've just come back from Europe and I won't mention the clubs but I saw a couple of first-division games and I could have walked out at half-time.

"That's not a knock on them, it's paying credit to our competition."

Postecoglou said a case in point was Aaron Mooy, widely regarded as the best Australian in the A-League last season.

Mooy was signed by Manchester City and loaned to second-tier Huddersfield Town, where he's helped the unfashionable club climb to top of the table.

The Asian Cup-winning coach suggested anyone who was surprised needed to take off their Europe-tinted glasses.

"I'm not surprised and I don't know why we should be," he said.

"The only surprise was he wasn't picked up by a Premier League club.

"I'm sure that will happen at some point. Maybe he'll get Huddersfield up and they'll sign him.

"If anything I think he's got more in him. They haven't seen his goals yet and he'll start scoring a few as well."

Postecoglou said despite the pain, he would persist with monitoring and scouting the full gamut of footballers eligible for Socceroos duty.

"There's no one that isn't getting watched. Everyone's getting assessed by me personally," he said.

He urged any local 'Eurosnobs' wanting to watch high-quality football to tune in to the A-League.

"We shouldn't continually seek some sort of validation for our competition," he said.

"If a player does well in our competition it means he's got to be a good footballer."

The A-League kicks off on October 7 when Brisbane Roar host Melbourne Victory.

[URL='http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/09/20/postecoglou-lashes-european-leagues']http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/09/20/postecoglou-lashes-european-leagues

[/URL]

phantom eel

First Grade
Lol, reads like a coach trying to justify the exclusion of overseas-based players from selection on future national squads... perhaps as a cost saving measure at the behest of the FFA?

(Just my harmless speculation and discussion of a posted media article, course.)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We'd have to be better than the Scandinavian leagues. A couple of our guys are playing in Norway. The only upside for them is that they get the chance to play in the UEFA Champions League and garner attention from big European clubs.

Suitman

Post Whore
We'd have to be better than the Scandinavian leagues. A couple of our guys are playing in Norway. The only upside for them is that they get the chance to play in the UEFA Champions League and garner attention from big European clubs.

We are better than a lot of European Leagues, not just the Scandinavians, but you make a valid point re the greater opportunities available over there to be picked up by a bigger club.
In saying that, it hasn't stopped many A-League players getting contracts over there straight from this League.
The A-League is a better quality than many people think. The problem with this country is the Eurosnobs.

Suitman

Post Whore
Some countries are yes. Financially and security wise.
Otherwise, it's the same as it was when I've travelled there on numerous occasions before.
Football wise, I'm not sure it's as great as people make out.
I've been watching a lot of football on BEIN since Fox gave it to us. Some of the Leagues on there have been simply atrocious. Some games I've seen of the MLS, La Liga, League 1, etc..... have been appalling. I'm sure this is what Postecoglou was leading towards, not the stupid conspiracy theory referred to previously.
The A-league stacks up pretty well against some of this stuff, and has only been getting better year by year as it develops and clubs bring in better imports. Importing some coaches from overseas has also helped raised the standard.

it's tricky. i wldnt say that the Championship is better than th ALeague...but the teams in it are more efficient, and would win more than their share of games against a league teams.

Suitman

Post Whore
it's tricky. i wldnt say that the Championship is better than th ALeague...but the teams in it are more efficient, and would win more than their share of games against a league teams.

I think they may win most of them Barry. Nobody is arguing that. Their resources and funding however, are far greater the we could ever dream off. So, they should win. Some of these games still, have been awful to watch. It doesn' t mean the standard is that much better.
Mooy is killing it at Hudersfield. We always knew he was class. The Championship is clearly a step below what he is truly capable of.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm sure the top Championship teams would win the A-League comfortably. Same would go for the best teams in the second tier leagues of Spain, Italy and Germany.

The top leagues of the next rung countries like France, Holland and Turkey are all full of teams too good for the A-League.

Then there's all the top leagues of small Eurotrash nations like Belgium, Switzerland, Scotland and Serbia. Their best teams are also clearly better than the A-League's best but I reckon the A-League champs would finish around the top four in these leagues.