What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Gronk

Staff member
The AFL would be humiliated to see so many empty seats at a game that the whole country should follow.

Grow up.

<see what I did there ?>
hasselhoff.gif

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yep.
Once again, the AFL are doing everything possible to give the Gnats a lift up in League and Football territory, at the expense of another traditional club. They bend the rules at will and don't give a f**k.
But but but its just smart business.......

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yep.
Once again, the AFL are doing everything possible to give the Gnats a lift up in League and Football territory, at the expense of another traditional club. They bend the rules at will and don't give a f**k.

To be fair I'm not sure I wouldn't be doing the same thing if I were them.

Gronk

Staff member
The NRL have already mooted a $15/20M carrot for the team who relocates to Perth.

Gallop started the conversation in 2004 at $8M.

Who knows what the end figure will end up to be ? $30M ?

forward pass

Coach
Suity I don't get why you feel threatened by a winter code that really has had little impact on WSW or the Eels. Why get all hot and bothered over something that has so little affect on you ? So far all you have said is that you don't like that the AFL have invested heavily in the GWS and that you think that they don't understand the demographic. They will work it out and when they do, it will have no real impact on your life.

Incorrect - not seeing the big picture. Two of my nephews who played league since aged 5, are now playing AFL. Not only do they love playing, they love the beautiful fields they play on and the parents love the friendly feel at the ground - not to mention how it is apparently so well organised etc etc.

That is two less players I know in the Eels junior league - I can guarantee there are dozens more. Yes Gronk - little impact on the Eels so far - but wait 10 years !!!

phantom eel

First Grade
They didn't give them a bigger cap like they have done with all their expansion teams. And all the best draft picks for a decade, so it's not even close.
AFL has been doing that for ages with their expansions, looks at Swans and West Coast!

Drama queens are going on like this is something new... when all that's happening is the AFL knows how to set its sports product up for success and is doing so in Western Sydney, while the A-League continue to let the RBB exist and thereby diminish the possible broader community support for their sports product in Western Sydney.

Gronk

Staff member
Incorrect - not seeing the big picture. Two of my nephews who played league since aged 5, are now playing AFL. Not only do they love playing, they love the beautiful fields they play on and the parents love the friendly feel at the ground - not to mention how it is apparently so well organised etc etc.

That is two less players I know in the Eels junior league - I can guarantee there are dozens more. Yes Gronk - little impact on the Eels so far - but wait 10 years !!!

Sound like the NRL have got some work to do then. Monopolies encourages mediocrity. Competition creates creative thinking.

I still think that there is room from both codes with a Sydney population in 2026 being predicted at 10 million.

Keep on to your Parra season tix, as getting a seat in a 30,000 stadium might be hard.

forward pass

Coach
Just a small example of what I am referring to above. One of my said nephews AFL team made the Grand Final.

He is still raving about it. They played UNDER LIGHTS at the AFL ground at Blacktown, the kids ran through a banner when entering the field and they were all introduced over the PA individually. This is under 12's we are talking about here! It just illustrates the efforts the AFL are making to reach the hearts and minds of West Sydney folk. Be very worried. I know I am.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If your kids were skinny Anglos you'd have them in AFL over rugby league for sure. If they were Mediterranean Descendants or sheilas they'd be better off in soccer.

Suitman

Post Whore
Sound like the NRL have got some work to do then.

Wow. I wish I had told you that.
Living in the east mate, you would have no idea what is happening out here. The amount of grounds that have been passed over to AFL at the expense of football and RL is incredible.
You don't think this is war? Fine. Think that. But it is.
Free tickets galore given away to school kids for GWS games. A kid turns up to just one Auskick promotion - he is then added into the participant figures, even if he never turns up again. They use these figures to prove the sport is growing at enormous rates and convince our politicians (both local and state) to provide more funding for training facilities and local grounds. They pay schools to install AFL posts.
You may not see all this from your secluded eastern suburbs enclave, but it is happening and it is real.
They mean business, and it's not just football they are after, it is RL as well.

The comfort is, and this is where the AFL have got it seriously wrong, hence my protestations, is that the west of Sydney isn't full of white skinny anglo's with long necks - the type of physical attribute it takes to be an ALF player.

Gronk

Staff member
Wow. I wish I had told you that.
Living in the east mate, you would have no idea what is happening out here. The amount of grounds that have been passed over to AFL at the expense of football and RL is incredible.
You don't think this is war? Fine. Think that. But it is.
Free tickets galore given away to school kids for GWS games. A kid turns up to just one Auskick promotion - he is then added into the participant figures, even if he never turns up again. They use these figures to prove the sport is growing at enormous rates and convince our politicians (both local and state) to provide more funding for training facilities and local grounds. They pay schools to install AFL posts.
You may not see all this from your secluded eastern suburbs enclave, but it is happening and it is real.
They mean business, and it's not just football they are after, it is RL as well.

The comfort is, and this is where the AFL have got it seriously wrong, hence my protestations, is that the west of Sydney isn't full of white skinny anglo's with long necks - the type of physical attribute it takes to be an ALF player.

See what I don't get is your anger for the AFL, whereby you should be channeling your angst at the NRL for not keeping up.

BTW I know what the AFL are doing. After all they started here in the "east" way before they infiltrated the west. You only have to go to Moore Park or Trumper Park in Paddington to see the kids playing AFL.

The problem for the AFL here actually is that most kids in the "east" go to private schools. Private schools have sport on Saturdays and the kids can't play two sports at the one time. They have tried to approach the schools but from what I have heard they won't budge from rugby.

Anyway, it's for the NRL to lose, rather than for the AFL to win. The AFL are clearly good at what they do. Maybe Todd should start to take them serious ? I'd start with the Riverina and Southern Tablelands as well as the metro area.

Suitman

Post Whore
See what I don't get is your anger for the AFL, whereby you should be channeling your angst at the NRL for not keeping up.

BTW I know what the AFL are doing. After all they started here in the "east" way before they infiltrated the west. You only have to go to Moore Park or Trumper Park in Paddington to see the kids playing AFL.

The problem for the AFL here actually is that most kids in the "east" go to private schools. Private schools have sport on Saturdays and the kids can't play two sports at the one time. They have tried to approach the schools but from what I have heard they won't budge from rugby.

Anyway, it's for the NRL to lose, rather than for the AFL to win. The AFL are clearly good at what they do. Maybe Todd should start to take them serious ? I'd start with the Riverina and Southern Tablelands as well as the metro area.

Fair enough. You think differently about what the AFL are doing than I do. I've stated my stance about their arrogance and their takeover plans. Did you hear one of their commissioners saying after the weekend's game stating that they want to be the dominant east coast sport within 20 years? Believe me, they will stop at nothing.
I'm going to fight the fight, not just sit here and say it's great that AFL is good if a Sydney team is winning.
f**k that.
There's another derby coming up in 4 weeks at ANZ. I'll be supporting that one, just like I do the rugby league ones, to ensure that the local sports survive, not that infiltrated imported game from Ireland with the appallingly embarrassing anglo dominated fans that care nothing about moral social issues.
I agree however, it is the NRL'S fight to lose. As it is the A-Leagues.

Suitman

Post Whore
Just a reminder for anyone engaged in debates with afl drones from anywhere but NSW about how well the midgets are doing in Sydney...

The average Giants member spends less than $70 per year on both their membership and merchandise. That's like 2 games worth of tickets. On average. So for every person with a $300 season ticket there are five people who got their membership for free. That info is from the giants annual report lodged with ASIC (because it's not AFL generated info you know it's real).

Wanderers members are season ticket holders paying easily five times as much every year.

http://www.westsydneyfootball.com/t...-laughing-at-gws-thread-2/page-33#entry565199

It's war Gronk, and this is what the AFL are throwing their hundreds of millions at.

phantom eel

First Grade
So supporting WSW in their A-League derby against Sydney FC at Homebush will help make sure "local sports" like NRL survive in Western Sydney, in the face of a hostile AFL takeover...?

This thread gets more lolworthy by the week.

Latest posts