What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Has the NRL run out of players?

Frenzy.

Immortal
I won't post this with full confidence in the accuracy of the info but I do expect it will be in the ballpark. It is sourced from the fan site,

Number of roster spots open
ClubSpots left? most significant loss
Brisbane Broncos5 roster spotsFlegler, Palasia, Farnworth
Canberra Raiders3 roster spotsWighton
Canterbury Bulldogs5 roster spotsAverillo, Alamoti
Cronulla Sharks0 roster spotsGraham
Gold Coast Titans0 roster spotsSexton
Manly Sea Eagles2 roster spotsTuilagi
Melbourne Storm7 roster spotsNikorima, Sims
Newcastle Knights6 roster spotsYoung
New Zealand Warriors3 roster spotsSironen
North Queensland Cowboys7 roster spotsHiku, Tamou
Parramatta Eels4 roster spotsHodgson
Penrith Panthers3 roster spotsCrighton, Lenui
South Sydney Rabbitohs2 roster spotsTaafe, Knight
St George Dragons1 roster spotSullivan
Sydney Roosters9 roster spotsBaker
The Dolphins1 roster spotEse'ese
Wests Tigers0 roster spotsBrooks, Ofahengaue
58 roster spots to fill

None of those vacancies' accounts for back-room machinations, manouveurs, negotiations and dodgy deals but that's a shortfall of nearly 2 complete squads.

The off-contract list from the same source reads like a summary of also rans and utter dross. There's certainly not 58 walk up starts to the NRL.

In terms of the Sharks how will they ever be competitive in the open market until they have something more to offer?

Last edited:

bluefox68

Staff member
I know this is an endless discussion, but I still think 18 (if the NRL proceeds with expansion) teams is too many.

I guess they want more games for financial reasons, but not sure on the quality…

Reactions: PJ
I won't post this with full confidence in the accuracy of the info but I do expect it will be in the ballpark. It is sourced from the fan site,

Number of roster spots open
ClubSpots left? most significant loss
Brisbane Broncos5 roster spotsFlegler, Palasia, Farnworth
Canberra Raiders3 roster spotsWighton
Canterbury Bulldogs5 roster spotsAverillo, Alamoti
Cronulla Sharks0 roster spotsGraham
Gold Coast Titans0 roster spotsSexton
Manly Sea Eagles2 roster spotsTuilagi
Melbourne Storm7 roster spotsNikorima, Sims
Newcastle Knights6 roster spotsYoung
New Zealand Warriors3 roster spotsSironen
North Queensland Cowboys7 roster spotsHiku, Tamou
Parramatta Eels4 roster spotsHodgson
Penrith Panthers3 roster spotsCrighton, Lenui
South Sydney Rabbitohs2 roster spotsTaafe, Knight
St George Dragons1 roster spotSullivan
Sydney Roosters9 roster spotsBaker
The Dolphins1 roster spotEse'ese
Wests Tigers0 roster spotsBrooks, Ofahengaue
58 roster spots to fill

None of those vacancies' accounts for back-room machinations, manouveurs, negotiations and dodgy deals but that's a shortfall of nearly 2 complete squads.

The off-contract list from the same source reads like a summary of also rans and utter dross. There's certainly not 58 walk up starts to the NRL.

In terms of the Sharks how will they ever be competitive in the open market until they have something more to offer?

gus has been going on and on about the player market being the tightest it has ever been

theres very little room to move

Frenzy.

Immortal
Next question

Was it wise of the NRL to increase the cap in the same year a new club was brought in?

Did this lead to too many updates to contracts? Has there been an urgency towards retaining "what we have"? Tying players in before an 18th team comes in?

R-15-3

Bench
Talk of PNG in 2025 that’s ludicrous imo with the government essentially guaranteeing funding.

Fund grass roots regional indigenous footy.
Set up a regional indigenous Center of excellence for a pathway into the NRL. Independent talent scouts giving kids somewhere they can go and stay and be safe and educated in what playing professional sport is like living away from home in the big city, training expectations etc etc

Have a draft system where the top 34 players each year are placed in pairs at each club and supported outside the salary cap.
Do this and we will have a huge influx of indigenous kids playing professional footy.

Then we won’t have a shortage of players and can then look at expanding again.

Special K

Coach
It is ridiculous that Connor Tracey is in the top 3 players available for clubs to improve their roster in 2025. He is barely a first grader who will be 29 in 2025. Fix this stupid system PVL.