What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT- last game for GF retiree ?

beekershark

Bench
Did anyone else notice Shane webcke looking particulary uncomfortable on the footy show this week when getting a standing ovation due to his pending retirement after the GF ?

Of course webcke is a humble man and his discomfort could easily be to do with that fact and the public adulation embarrassed him.

But there's a bit of strong mail around that the big man will be going around next year playing prop for the broncos again. That would explain his embarrassment at the plaudits even moreso ;)

coolumsharkie

Referee
Well he writes for the Sunshine Coast Daily every Friday.

This weeks edition goes under the heading.

"It's the end of the line... And what a great way to go out!"

I doubt he will be back.

Nullajet

Juniors
he is a man of his word....this will be it.

a shame too, the big man is one of the best to ever play in every sense, very much in the mold of ET as far as class on and off the field goes.

beekershark

Bench
I know what you're saying about him being a man of his word, origin the best example. But this is pretty strong mail. weird I know.

jc155776

Coach
I think its fine for him to decide to give it another run if he feels up for it.

Great player.

Hate him in the Maroon but thats just respect.

spider

Coach
Seems to be a humble man.

Cant see him putting the body through another year.

Especially after he goes out a winner tomorrow.

Quigs

Immortal
Ive got a sneaky suspicion that they are buttering him up to become a member of the merkinry sorry National Party up here.

Big Web has done a bit of political posturing over the last couple of years.

As they say "watch this space."

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Inferno

Coach
Don't think he will.

If the prop stocks run a bit short though I don't think he'd mind pulling on the old Boots for his mate Wayno.

Thomo.

First Grade
i think the broncos focus was not to do it for Shane W. so he may have been a little embarrassed by it as well

beekershark

Bench
I wouldnt think so after that GF win mate, but I wouldnt be surprised if he pulled the boots on again. The mail I heard was during the week though, may have changed now that they won.

Inferno

Coach
I wonder why they will replace him with. Everyones talking about Hannant, but its a huge step up for a benchie, I mean he's not Luke Douglas or anything;-)

I think Thorn will get shifted there with Hannant moving to the backrow at least to start off with.

jc155776

Coach
David Taylor.

Monster of a kid. f**ken fast but built like Webke.

Has kicked a 30/10 before too in a game.

imasharkie

Coach
carcharias said:
Hasn't Webke been recruited in a coaching type capacity?

Nuh in his interview up here he said he was retiring to the farm to be a farmer/hotelier and father.

He owns the local pub in his home town. The only one in the town.

imasharkie

Coach
jc155776 said:
David Taylor.

Monster of a kid. f**ken fast but built like Webke.

Has kicked a 30/10 before too in a game.

Spot on jc.

If Taylor continues on with the form he's shown he'll represent Australia. The Broncs will not let this bloke go. They're grooming him to be the next Webbers. He's huge.

carcharias

Immortal
imasharkie said:
Nuh in his interview up here he said he was retiring to the farm to be a farmer/hotelier and father.

He owns the local pub in his home town. The only one in the town.

I was wrong and right ....:D

As revealed on Monday, Webcke will stay on at the Broncos next season.
"I just wanted to maintain some involvement with the club," he said at Wednesday's function.
"It's been such a wonderful and big part of my life that to walk away from it cold turkey would have been pretty hard.
"So I'm going to have a role of some sort. Probably not in the coaching realm, however. That's not my go but certainly to be around the place.
"That will give me the opportunity to walk away from it gently."
Bennett was then asked if Webcke would make a good coach.
"No," he deadpanned.

http://www.broncos.com.au/index.cfm?TopMenuID=266&MenuID=270&NewsID=3040

Latest posts