What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ot. Rules in the game.which annoy us

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Seeing we have a bye and 2 points and a 10 day break before dogs game.i thought I'd post this.
For me players are constantly walking off the mark,so many players doing it some told to go back others not.
So many other rules and interpretations.
Also the player takes one step to the side to play the ball so the dummy half can scoot out the other side.
Surrender tackles, if you push the player in one motion into the in goal or over the sideline you get penalised, as the refs call held as soon as you touch them, what a crock of shit, teams get penalised for putting in a good kick and chase basically, kickers cant win, if its caught on the full in goal 7 tackle , if it trickles over the dead ball line 7 tackles, if the kicker put in a good kick and fullback/winger just gets out and dives on the ground, he is tackled, no wonder we see the predictable 5 tackles and bomb which lands around the 20m line...

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Six again annoys the crap out of me. It can provide more benefit than a penalty because the defending team has to use up more energy, even though the infringement may be minor. Sometimes the infringement is non-existant, like a tackled player hanging onto the tackler's jumper. Give them one, maybe two extra tackles, not six.

Unless it's the Dragons where all six agains awarded are fair and just.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Is there any new rule that has been introduced to the NRL, been good for the game? The only one that may have merit is the 2pt field goal from the 40. Not an easy thing to.

Since Storms dirty tactics to slow down the ruck the rules since then have been a joke. How about the new disruptor and attacking the kickers legs? That one is a huge lottery. Cows got nothing the other week for a similar incident this week which got a guy sin binned. How inconsistent was that? The Cows one was in front of the sticks with a minute to go and would have gone to golden point. The only difference was Drinky did not carry on like he was sore after the kick.

All these new rules have done is have players milk penalties more knowing that in slow motion replay will make it looks so much worse and the bunker will come to the rescue and give a penalty.

justadragon

Bench
Is there any new rule that has been introduced to the NRL, been good for the game? The only one that may have merit is the 2pt field goal from the 40. Not an easy thing to.

Since Storms dirty tactics to slow down the ruck the rules since then have been a joke. How about the new disruptor and attacking the kickers legs? That one is a huge lottery. Cows got nothing the other week for a similar incident this week which got a guy sin binned. How inconsistent was that? The Cows one was in front of the sticks with a minute to go and would have gone to golden point. The only difference was Drinky did not carry on like he was sore after the kick.

All these new rules have done is have players milk penalties more knowing that in slow motion replay will make it looks so much worse and the bunker will come to the rescue and give a penalty.
One of the few rules that have gone that I think has been better is the raking the ball in the ruck, and maybe the 7 tackle set for catching a ball on the full in the in goal area has improved the play.

Last edited:

since77

Juniors
My most hated rule is the ruling by the federal court that allowed Souths back into the comp.
I think you win!
Although the NRL not completely kicking the purple scum out of the competition forever for rorting the salary cap would be my pick. Then burning every single Storm jersey in existence. Have I ever mentioned I hate that f*cking club?

Anon

Bench
The rules that really shit me in no particular order

Golden Point - Only required for finals games and only after normal extra time.
7 Tackle restarts.
Penalties for contacting players in the air from kicks regadless of whether the contact is dangerous.
Obstruction penalties when no obstruction actually ocurred i.e. a result of bad defensive reads.
Penalties as a reward for players lying down even when high contact was minimal at best
Crusher tackle penalties automatically given whenever a player grabs at their neck.
Crusher tackle penalties awarded to players who have turned their backs on the defense.
Shoulder tackle penalties even when contact is side on.
Bunker not being allowed to rule on blatant forwared passes despite being allowed to make decisions on knock ons or players being offside from kicks.
Bunker actively looking for reasons to disallow tries that have been awarded. e.g. Api's try a few weeks back.

Kolum Kid

Juniors
What shits me is that when the powers to be make a new rule(right or wrong) the f..king ex player commentators then come out and argue for degrees of culpability or descretion when one of their favoured clubs players get done.i.e. no hitting the head. doesn't matter if he gets a love tap or broken teeth,jaw etc, no hitting the head should mean don't hit the head. To me this seems so logical especially with all the current medical evidence regarding CTE. This is just one example among many.Allowing discretion means the better clubs always get the rub of the green. Following the dragons for years reinforces this view

Last edited:

Phantom V

Juniors
Six again annoys the crap out of me. It can provide more benefit than a penalty because the defending team has to use up more energy, even though the infringement may be minor. Sometimes the infringement is non-existant, like a tackled player hanging onto the tackler's jumper. Give them one, maybe two extra tackles, not six.

I agree with this. My argument is that prior to the 6 again rule a lot of these minor infringements would have been let go because they wouldn’t want a high penalty count.

Dragon David

First Grade

I hate the six agains given to the attacking team close to the opponents try line. It's as if the ref is just waiting and waiting to ping the defending team and he is relieved that he can wave his arm to signal the extra tackles for the attacking team to barge over and score. Not only once but a couple of times. You can just sense that it will happen like it is orchestrated.

Mind you I am truly grateful that the attacking team is the Dragons haha!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I see the most inconsistencies with 6 agains especially ruck infringements. These never get questioned though where as if they were penalties they would. You will see a ref call a ruck infringement and then 5 mins later if it is the opposition team, you would see the same $hite let go. They then even the ledger when the game is far gone. That is what annoys me as a ref can easily fatigue a team at their own will and not get questioned.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
The seven tackle rule is too stiff a penalty for a kick that might only be an inch too long.

In terms of rules with arbitrary application, obviously the 6-agains are ridiculous but I also don't like the ref calling the player back for moving off the mark. It is such a momentum killer and instances where it doesn't get called occur a hundred times per game.

Most of all though, I hate the strip rule. A bloke has seven guys on him and six peel away like synchronised swimmers so one can then nick the ball. One-on-one should be just that.

On a positive note, getting rid of the penalty for passing after a call of held has been great. That used to be my most hated rule.

Lovemedragons

Juniors

Any rule where you quickly start seeing players being coached to milk them is a poorly thought through rule.

Dragon David

First Grade
The poor ol' refs will have to carry a handbook of the rules one day because of the many that have been brought in and the changes to them and so on. "Now, what happens when....ahh yes, look it up in my handbook and then make a decision".

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
f**k me where do I even begin.

For the most part, it's not the rules, per say, but more how inconsistently they're applied that pisses me off big time. Like come on, there have been some disgracefully soft send offs for high tackles when they cracked down, but when Tupou clotheslined Rav a few years ago he got nothing but a bin?

The 6 agains have also been probably one of the worst decisions in rugby league history. Turned the game into touch footy basically in terms of expected ruck speed and hence we're seeing so many lower body injuries - they can't actually ensure that they're going to move well biomechanically all game when their legs are at a constantly high output and moving nonstop because of his stupid rule.

7 tackle restarts when a player knocks on in-goal are f**king ridiculous. How can you possibly have such a bad consequence for failing to score a try? So stupid.

The new contact on kickers rule and the way it was applied was stupid last week but I guess it's not the worst

As mentioned above, the strip rule is ridiculously dumb and it's another demonstration of how the people who make decisions in rugby league don't actually know how hard it is to play (like with the 6 again rule). You try dealing with 3 defenders all trying to push you back and see how much energy you have after 2 of them drop off to ensure that the last guy remaining doesn't take the ball off you.

Also mentioned above (like many things I've brought up) -- the fact that the bunker can't rule on forward passes. Also, it seems like TOUCH JUDGES APPARENTLY CAN'T SEE THEM EITHER... NOT LIKE IT'S THEIR JOB OR ANYTHING, RIGHT?

And lastly, and perhaps my biggest pet hate... not a rule in itself, but the existence of the bunker. I don't think I need to explain this one too much. It's a stain on the game that has left rugby league not really feeling the same since 2015.

Latest posts