What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Vale Steve Folkes.

Quigs

Immortal
Very sad indeed. I just heard it on the car radio up here.

He was one of the fittest players and coaches during his time. I remember reading one article on him after playing in a big game for the dogs he went on a pushy ride to Wollongong and back.

Have not heard what took him out.

Very sad. I hate the dogs, but he was one of the good guys. Lost his mrs a couple of years ago at 55 & i think his brother recently & both parents in the last few years. Will be havin a beer with his mentor & close friend tomorrow arvo. He never stopped his fitness & health regime. Literally never stopped.

Saw him and had a quick chat"n"hello with him up at Shark Island Brewing a few months back. Still looked fit and healthy. Way too early for him to go.

When you know someone like Steve was a fitness finatic and looked after himself and then he has a heart attack and dies aged 59 it just leaves you in total disbelief.

Life is just so unpredictable.

Live every day to the fullest.

R.I.P Steve Folks.

snout

First Grade
Perfect technique.
f**k he could hit.

When your times up....he kept himself in top shape and fellow former teamates spent the same amount of time on pies and schooies and they're going to his funeral.

As someone said. Live for today.
Enjoy your loved ones.

Chimp

Bench
Perfect technique.
f**k he could hit.

When your times up....he kept himself in top shape and fellow former teamates spent the same amount of time on pies and schooies and they're going to his funeral.

As someone said. Live for today.
Enjoy your loved ones.

100% agreed...

Same happened to my old man - kept himself in good shape, and was still rugby training the night before he died of heart attack at 45.

So forget wasting all those hours over the years flogging yourself in the gym - spend the down the pub with your mates, eating kebabs, or just having fun with the family.... sack this long winded, time consuming healthy living bollox and enjoy living life!

Frenzy.

Immortal
100% agreed...

Same happened to my old man - kept himself in good shape, and was still rugby training the night before he died of heart attack at 45.

So forget wasting all those hours over the years flogging yourself in the gym - spend the down the pub with your mates, eating kebabs, or just having fun with the family.... sack this long winded, time consuming healthy living bollox and enjoy living life!

It is not uncommon at all. There is one common type of cardiac event known in the trade as a “widow maker”. Very, very commonly occurs in the fitness fanatics - joggers, gym junkies, cyclists etc. hits with no warning.

Not enough being done on research into the genetics of myocardial infarcts. Too easy just to give drugs or throw a stent or 4 in. Trouble is with the widow maker type infarct there’s no prior knowledge to intervene with especially as a lot of blokes who have one believe because of their lifestyle they are “safe”.

Sad, but true.

Generalzod

Immortal
It is not uncommon at all. There is one common type of cardiac event known in the trade as a “widow maker”. Very, very commonly occurs in the fitness fanatics - joggers, gym junkies, cyclists etc. hits with no warning.

Not enough being done on research into the genetics of myocardial infarcts. Too easy just to give drugs or throw a stent or 4 in. Trouble is with the widow maker type infarct there’s no prior knowledge to intervene with especially as a lot of blokes who have one believe because of their lifestyle they are “safe”.

Sad, but true.
Just before the news come through of the passing of Steve Folkes, Chris Smith on 2gb was discussing the issues of the heart from excessive exercise.
https://www.2gb.com/ray-warren-says-loss-of-league-legend-steve-folkes-is-unbelievable/

Sad, but true.
Great post.

carcharias

Immortal
I played tag with a bloke that had one
Dropped dead on the field

I wasn’t in the team at the time
He was fit as
Didn’t that Mercer bloke have one as well?

I was talking to a recently retired NRL Prop about this about a year ago. This guy was very fit , non -drinker non smoker etc .Played for Australia & about 13 seasons in NRL.
He said that latest thinking on training repercussions etc is that athletes who continually stress their hearts way above normal pulse rates will be lucky to see 70 years old, if they stay healthy.
Combined with what they now know about head injuries, their latter years are probably not going to be something of enjoyment.

carcharias

Immortal
I was talking to a recently retired NRL Prop about this about a year ago. This guy was very fit , non -drinker non smoker etc .Played for Australia & about 13 seasons in NRL.
He said that latest thinking on training repercussions etc is that athletes who continually stress their hearts way above normal pulse rates will be lucky to see 70 years old, if they stay healthy.
Combined with what they now know about head injuries, their latter years are probably not going to be something of enjoyment.

Makes sense

feeding frenzy

Juniors
Great send of to a champion player and a champion bloke, And the farrkwit balled dogs fan who poops up every were who thinks its ok to take selfies at funerals, get reefed mate your a fool.

Latest posts