What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our best 17 for 2008?

legend

Coach
Zillman
Graham
Purtell
Monaghan
Best
Campese
Carney
Tongue
Costigan
Learoyd Lahrs
Logan
Withers
Thompson

Picker
Tilse
Turner
Thurling

paulquinn49

Bench
legend said:
Zillman
Graham
Purtell (Big call, id go Graham at centre with Goodwin on the other wing)
Monaghan
Best
Campese (agree)
Carney
Tongue
Costigan
Learoyd Lahrs (swap TLL & Turner, we need some punch off the bench)
Logan
Withers
Thompson

Picker (Plum has to be on the bench)
Tilse (needs some mongrel, drop to PL for Bickerstaff)
Turner
Thurling

I think that would be our strongest side, great calls on Chalk and Weyman. Waste of space the both of em.

Timbo

Staff member
1-W.Zillman
2-P.Graham
3-C.Best
4-J.Monaghan
5-B.Goodwin
6-T.Carney
7-M.Dobson
8-S.Logan
9-L.Withers
10-T.Thompson
11-N.Costigan
12-A.Tongue (c)
13-T.Campese

14-M.Bickerstaff
15-T.Learoyd-Lahrs
16-M.Weyman
17-D.Tilse

18-D.Howell
19-N.Plum
20-T.Thurling
21-J.Picker

--------------

I've included 18-21 because they could easilly be included in a starting 17, but the 17 I posted straight up is the 17 I'd go with.

legend

Coach
Forgot about Plum but any hope I had for Weyman and Chalk has vanished. Both have shown with numerous chances they will never be more than fringe first graders at the Raiders.

Neither has lived up to expectations and both have been hugely disappointing.

D

Deleted member 10972

Zillman
Graham
Purtell
Monaghan
Best
Carney
Dobson
Logan
Tongue (just for the first 20, then move him into lock)
Thompson
Costigan
Plum
Campese

Withers
Turner
Learoyd-Lahrs
Tilse

Miller, Picker, Bickerstaff, Thurling, Weyman, Chalk, Goodwin, Milne, Howell, Cross, Kelly, Herbert making a pretty good PL team.

green eyed mike

Juniors
1. Zillman
2. Graham
3. Purtell (he was in great form before the DVT)
4. Monaghan
5. Best
6. Carney
7. Dobson (he's only had a season of being in and out he needs to be told he is the half-back for the season and coached in 1st grade)
8. Logan
9. Withers (shame we don't have another option here)
10. Thompson
11. Costigan
12. Tongue
13. Campese

14. Learoyd-Lahrs
15. Thurling
16. Plum
17. Weyman (he needs an injury free season and some confidence)

julian87

Juniors
1 Bronx Goodwin/William Zillman
2 Joel Monaghan (Graham and Monaghan would play this way in attack, opposite in defence)
3 Phil Graham
4 Colin Best
5 Adrian Purtell/David Howell (didn't consider Milne as defence is the problem, not attack)
6 Todd Carney
7 William Zillman/Michael Dobson
8 Scott Logan
9 Lincoln Withers
10 Thom Learoyd Lahrs
11 Neville Costigan
12 Matt Bickerstaff
13 Alan Tongue

14 Nigel Plum
15 Dane Tilse
16 Michael Weyman
17 Terry Campese

18 Joe Picker
19 Trevor Thurling
20 Glen Turner

julian87

Juniors
One thing I have noticed with some of your teams is the selection of Purtell over Graham and Best. Graham is just as good on the wing, but Best proved this season that he isn't a winger but a centre. Especially since Howell has been outside him, his defence has been better. Notice since we have had Howell and Best on our right side, opposition teams have targeted Graham and his winger on the left.

Must I repeat, our problem this year has been defence, not attack. Imo Dobson should keep his spot, if his defence improves and Carney's defence borders on diabolical for a five-eighth yet his attack is definitely that of a number 6. In saying this, last season Purtell was hated by most people (including myself) but he was a solid winger. He was very, very sound. Now this year he was moved to the centres and his attack improved markedly, but his defence morphed into turnstile status, we can't have that. In my team I have picked Graham in 3 and Monaghan in 2. I want to see them on the same side of the field, with graham centre in attack and Monaghan centre in defence. graham returning the ball in broken play is an exciting prospect (it is also not Monaghan's strength) and this tactic would also allow Dobson to kick to Monaghan.

With the halfback problems, I just don't know. The one thing I do know is that Campese/Carney is not the answer. I love Campese but imo, he should be utility off the bench and if we come up against a really big team (Bulldogs or Brisbane) he can start in place of Dobson. The last two weeks have proved we need someone on the bench who can cover the back row and the backs to an extent. And imo, Chalk is nowhere near Campese.

If Dobson isn't the answer for number 7, then Zillman is imo. Herbert is not up to it imo and if anything should be grromed for hooker. So Considering Zillman has done a knee injury, halfback may be his go now that he may have lost a smidgeon of pace. Goodwin can play first grade imho, he just needs a bit of hard work. And if we have a team with Campese, Carney, Withers and Tongue, Zillman only needs to be a back up kicker anyway. He would be more involved and it isn't like Withers, Carney, Campese and Tongue can take a lot of pressure off him in the number 7. His defence is surely not as bad as Dobson's either. I am starting to come around to the idea tha others have been putting forward all year. I hope I see it round one next year.

Macko8

Juniors
legend said:
Zillman
Graham
Purtell
Monaghan
Best
Campese
Carney
Tongue
Costigan
Learoyd Lahrs
Logan
Withers
Thompson

Picker
Tilse
Plum
Thurling

i agree with that side!!!
Although id have plum on the bench before turner.

thickos

First Grade
1 - Zillman
2 - Monaghan
3 - Purtell
4 - Best
5 - Graham
6 - Carney
7 - Dobson
8 - Logan
9 - Withers
10 - Thompson
11 - Costigan
12 - Turner
13 - Tongue (capt)

14 - Picker
15 - Weyman
16 - Tilse
17 - Plum/Thurling

* Joe Picker is the goods, should be a regular in FG in 2008.

* Bronx Goodwin, while talented, has a major attitude problem that I think has the potential to destabilize the side.

* TLL is too injury-prone, I think he'll be a write-off. I hope Weyman gets it together otherwise he will go down the same path.

* Huge glut of forwards/toilers, any of those are interchangeable IMO

paulquinn49

Bench
You leave out TLL cause he is injury prone but include Weyman. Dang rough call, Weyman has had 5 seasons to shed his "injury prone" tag. Another 5 wont hurt I guess.

edabomb

First Grade
I'd still have Dobbo in the halves. Campo and Carney have three weeks to prove that they can help their team score enough points to win games though, and if they do that then I'd be happy to see them given first shot in 08.

I just don't think it'll happen :)

thickos

First Grade
paulquinn49 said:
You leave out TLL cause he is injury prone but include Weyman. Dang rough call, Weyman has had 5 seasons to shed his "injury prone" tag. Another 5 wont hurt I guess.

Yeah it is a tough call, but TLL is in a position where we have a stack of depth (back row). Our front-row depth is nowhere near as good, especially once Logan goes. Weyman gets included because he has had minor, niggly injuries this year and last but has not been copping season-enders. I'm more disappointed with his form than anything.

thickos

First Grade
I don't agree with that.

I also think we will struggle to get him on the field, as has been the case his whole career.

Weyman is playing more than him these days, says a lot.

aussies1st

Staff member
If the Campo and Carney combo works this season then I would stick with that going into next. I just hope that we stick with one halves combo for the remaining games this season so that we can at least rule out one halves combo.

I would go

Zillman
Graham
Purtell
Best
Monaghan
Campese
Carney
Tongue
Costigan
Learoyd Lahrs
Logan
Withers
Thompson

Picker
Tilse
Plum
Thurling

Raider_69

Post Whore
1 - Zillman
2 - Monaghan
3 - Graham
4 - Best
5 - Goodwin/Milne
6 - Carney
7 - Dobson (if he isnt up to it, give Herbert a run)
8 - Logan
9 - Withers
10 - Thompson
11 - Costigan
12 - Bickerstaff
13 - Tongue (c)

14 - Campese
15 - Learoyd-Lahrs
16 - Picker
17 - Thurling would be my choice but Miller, Weyman, Plum, Turner or Tilse could all get a gig here

edabomb

First Grade
TLL has shown way more than Weyman over the past couple years too. I'll admit I used to think Weyman could be a rep player in the future, but I really can't see that happening at the moment.

He is too big. Looking at other big guys over the history like Bailey and Lazarus and they had exceptional lateral movement for their size. Weyman doesn't have this though, and needs to somehow gain a heap of mobility to fulfill his potential.