What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

our future stars

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Last year's state of origin Paul Sironen had this to say about 2 of his players.
Matt dufty (most tries NYC record) Matt is super quick this is his third year of 20s now.A prolific tryscorer who is great under the high ball and a great attacking player.
Reuben Garrick he played in nsw u18s last year he's had a huge improvement in his physical dimensions.but the improvement in his game for the last 12 months is remarkable.maybe Paul Sironen is a bad judge as well as some Dragon fans .

saintm

Juniors
Last year's state of origin Paul Sironen had this to say about 2 of his players.
Matt dufty (most tries NYC record) Matt is super quick this is his third year of 20s now.A prolific tryscorer who is great under the high ball and a great attacking player.
Reuben Garrick he played in nsw u18s last year he's had a huge improvement in his physical dimensions.but the improvement in his game for the last 12 months is remarkable.maybe Paul Sironen is a bad judge as well as some Dragon fans .
Mary will never give them a chance. Mary is worried about his job. Mary is f----d.

mobels

Juniors
Dufty should have had a game last week against the Warriors but it seems he's well down the pecking order.

Garrick needs time in NSW Cup as he's still playing 20's and the likes of Herbert and I Thompson are ahead of him at this point in time.

j0nesy

Bench
Mary is fighting for a contract next season there is no way he's going to take a risk. That is a dilemma for the club to sort out given it has decided to create a separate recruitment manager role. Perhaps the team should be selected by a panel each week? But I'll tell you what it's getting awfully bureaucratic for a small rugby league team.

Dufty should have played fullback last week, if not Dufty then Field.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Mary is fighting for a contract next season there is no way he's going to take a risk. That is a dilemma for the club to sort out given it has decided to create a separate recruitment manager role. Perhaps the team should be selected by a panel each week? But I'll tell you what it's getting awfully bureaucratic for a small rugby league team.

Yet when Aitken got injured a few weeks back he decides to swap key playmakers around to accomodate a rookie 5/8 mid game which was by far the riskiest change. Mary is an enigma but not in a good way sorry.

saintm

Juniors

Dufty for sure. Dufty is a fullback. Field has never played there

Old Timer

Coach
The way things are at the moment I think our future stars are in the U/12's at the moment.
We won't see too many of the current good juniors get a crack anytime soon under this regime.
Directional and generational change is required and the current coaching and management staff just don't have it in them.
I really think bringing young players through is a gift that the really good coaches have and it is not something that can be taught.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Dufty should have had a game last week against the Warriors but it seems he's well down the pecking order.

Garrick needs time in NSW Cup as he's still playing 20's and the likes of Herbert and I Thompson are ahead of him at this point in time.

Agree mobels
Also Issac is off contract this year I'm sure.

Gareth67

First Grade

I think what the real dilemma will be , is , should the Dragons get to the semi's , we shall undoubtedly be needing one or two game-breakers of the bench , should things become tight . Namely Duffy and Field , two gentlemen who possess both speed and attacking flair .

As things are now , the team is surviving without Widdop and Duges , however in those make or break finals , every team will have a player on their bench , that could change defeat into victory .

Mary must understand that he needs to make a few experiments with his team , whilst he still has the opportunity to do so , so as the Dragons will have every chance of going as far as possible this year . To do otherwise , would be a huge , huge disappointment to all , not to mention signing his own death warrant .

Last edited:

Bench

I think Mary is fighting for a job next year and on his performance to date it is on the cards he will get an extension.
As part of being the coach next year or not he should be aware that Field and Dufty to just name two will in all probability will be ready to step up a grade.
This year he should be giving these two a taste of first grade off the bench.
We are favourites to beat the tigers this week and depending how we ate going in the match give field some time off the bench if we have the game wrapped up.
He needs to test these players now and not wait till the start of next season.

Crush

Coach
Young guns will get their chance when they are better than the current guns.
Dufty isn't as good as dugan/nighty yet so why select him over those guys?
Duftys time will come no doubt but for now I would stick with the guys that are doing the job so well this year.

Old Timer

Coach
Young guns will get their chance when they are better than the current guns.
Dufty isn't as good as dugan/nighty yet so why select him over those guys?
Duftys time will come no doubt but for now I would stick with the guys that are doing the job so well this year.
I actually think that sometimes real talented up and comers can be made look pretty ordinary playing reggies.
For instance in reggies FB's & wingers can often be left defending 2 on 1's due to part time players running out of puff which is far less likely to happen in the top grade.
If Dufty had to be confronted with too much of that, then the forwards aren't doing their job properly.
If he misses 1 on 1's or drops the high ball when he's got adequate coverage then he needs more time.
We just don't now how good he can be when we don't bother to put him in the mix with the tried and proven professional players.
One thing we do know is he can sniff out a try and certainly does have speed to burn which are great attributes in themself.

Crush

Coach
I actually think that sometimes real talented up and comers can be made look pretty ordinary playing reggies.
For instance in reggies FB's & wingers can often be left defending 2 on 1's due to part time players running out of puff which is far less likely to happen in the top grade.
If Dufty had to be confronted with too much of that, then the forwards aren't doing their job properly.
If he misses 1 on 1's or drops the high ball when he's got adequate coverage then he needs more time.
We just don't now how good he can be when we don't bother to put him in the mix with the tried and proven professional players.
One thing we do know is he can sniff out a try and certainly does have speed to burn which are great attributes in themself.
I haven't seen enough of reserve grade to know if he is struggling or not. I saw a few early games and thought his positional play was well off the pace. I have heard though that he has improved vastly which is great.
I can't wait to see him in the nrl but don't blame the coach for sticking with dugan at the back with nightingale for cover at present. I would suggest that Mann would be next in line.
I really hope that Dufty becomes a Billy Slater like player and not another Adam Quinlan. Quinlan was always quick and elusive with a great pass but couldn't defend to save his life....

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think we have backed ourselves into a corner regarding fullback.
The arguement about the Dugan/Mann experiment (which IMO was never given enough time to develop) and now the fact Dugan is moving on we need a replacement. However, with the team entrenched in the top 8 McGregor is unlikely to "risk" anything.
Wether its Dufty, Field, Mann, Nighty or someone else we would need to know sooner than the trials next year.

Crush

Coach
It's about building a side to win a comp..Playing Nightingale at fullback and Macrone at half back is about MacGregor saving his job
Can't blame Mcgregor. You are right, he is trying to win games of footy and finish as high as he can on the ladder to keep his job.
His best chance of winning games is by selecting the best players and that happens to be Nightingale at fullback, in dugans absence and McCrone at 7 unfortunately because he is our best halfback(which sux)

Old Timer

Coach
Can't blame Mcgregor. You are right, he is trying to win games of footy and finish as high as he can on the ladder to keep his job.
His best chance of winning games is by selecting the best players and that happens to be Nightingale at fullback, in dugans absence and McCrone at 7 unfortunately because he is our best halfback(which sux)
Crush
How do we really know if he is our best half back?
The trials were a complete nonsense and proved nothing and remember how Mc Fookknuckle kept saying others would get a shot at it well we know that didn't really happen.

Crush

Coach
OT,
I would say when he played next to widdop he was solid. When he played next to anyone else he was rubbish. He isn't a playmaker. You have to admit though in a couple of games this year McCrone has been excellent.
Other options for 7 are Mann, Field, Nona. I think Mann might be up to it and worth a shot but Mary will probably hoping with Widdop back McCrone will again provide a solid partner for him. Field seems to be a bit green don't you think? Nona never really got a shot, probably for good reason.