What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our next saviour

Owen Da Saints

Juniors
How much is Soward on anyway? Without him next season surely that would free up some cap space same with Fein. With them gone they should get another 500k at least to spend on a decent half.

And also Coopers money should be available too !
Whichever coach comes to the Dragons will have heaps of money to spend.
Hopefully it will be someone that players want to play for, otherwise we will be forced to pay overs to keep players that want to leave as well as paying overs for players from other clubs that would rather play for another coach ! :(

Last edited:

Elias1983

Coach
And also Coopers money should be available too !
Whichever coach comes to the Dragons will have heaps of money to spend.
Hopefully it will be someone that players want to play for, otherwise we will be forced to pay overs to keep players that want to leave as well as paying overs for players from other clubs that would rather play for another coach ! :(

So if this does eventuate who is off contract that we can look at for next year?

Mr Red

First Grade
any club that actually waits for end of 2013 to sign players for 2014 is already 12 - 18months behind the rest of the clubs..

smart teams are already doing deals for their 2015 rosters..
this is why our recruitment sucks - we are simply far too slow to react to player availability..

Big man

Juniors
Rankin would be another step in the wrong direction, as desperate as the Titans were they passed him over for two inexperienced halves, he is slow and lacks Vision to be an effective halve.

blaza88z

Coach
any club that actually waits for end of 2013 to sign players for 2014 is already 12 - 18months behind the rest of the clubs..

this is why our recruitment sucks - we are simply far too slow to react to player availability..

True that, we waited and ended up with Prince :lol:

Amozzie

Juniors
I'm inclined to stick with Soward and ride out the storm with the guy. He has it in him to turn it around.
In all seriousness, 2009 was Soward's best year.
He was solid in 2010 (his Origin selection was I believe based on '09) & only competent in '11.

He has deteriorated every year since Bennett's first season with the club. That's not to say he hasn't tried. It seems his confidence is shot & it doesn't look like returning.

BradMackay

Juniors
In all seriousness, 2009 was Soward's best year.
He was solid in 2010 (his Origin selection was I believe based on '09) & only competent in '11.

He has deteriorated every year since Bennett's first season with the club. That's not to say he hasn't tried. It seems his confidence is shot & it doesn't look like returning.

I agree. i think his back is f**ked and that is why he avoids contact. He will never run as much as he did in 09 and 10.

Elias1983

Coach
I agree. i think his back is f**ked and that is why he avoids contact. He will never run as much as he did in 09 and 10.

That's why I believe it is time for Soward to be tapped on the shoulder...

Best years are behind him.

I reckon Bennett may come calling....

ghostface

Juniors
Agree Soward has lost his ticker. He just seems to have one eye on his next destination ---> Japanese Rugby perhaps? I think Rugby would suit his game. He has served us well and i hope he collects a fat pay cheque playing overseas.

Owen Da Saints

Juniors

I guess that it's no coincidence those smart teams have their coach locked in for 2015 as well !
We should have learnt from the Bennett era that if you have an established coach with a track record then they (the players) will come !
It's a main ingredient of the recruitment !

hardbaby

Coach
The guys tried hard on the weekend...except for Soward. There is absolutely no way he will be re-signed and that makes the halves situation even more crtical. Fien isn't a half but at least he tries his arse off. Soward may be the one to get dropped. So we need two halves. Rankin may be necessary.

Mr Red

First Grade
there is ZERO point in letting Price do any further recruitment - he wont be there for next season, and possibly most of this season..
the first thing we MUST do is address the coaching problem.. then bring in a new coach and let him do some recruitment before the June deadline.. dont let Price use the money we have spare and then have a new coach inherit the rubbish Price continues to recruit.

BennyV

Referee
So if we sign Rankin, who gets das boot? In my opinion, Soward should be dropped, he's simply not putting in the effort. Let Fien and Ranking run around for a bit in firsts, and let Soward assist DW in NSW Cup, then when DW is ready, promote him. It's beneficial to both young halves.

However, that's easy to say when I'm not the one who has to make the call and consider the team as a whole! Realistically, I can't see Price dropping Soward at this stage.

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
there is ZERO point in letting Price do any further recruitment - he wont be there for next season, and possibly most of this season..
the first thing we MUST do is address the coaching problem.. then bring in a new coach and let him do some recruitment before the June deadline.. dont let Price use the money we have spare and then have a new coach inherit the rubbish Price continues to recruit.

You're right

RedVDave

First Grade
Do you think his frosty relationship with Price may have a bit to do with it Twenty?

Whether that rumour be true or not for mine that 'excuse' does not cut it. I've had many bosses over the years who I have disliked, but still had to do my job and do it well.

Regardless I think Soward is having dig I thought he was pretty good in Rounds 1 & 2, unfortunatley I could not watch the Canberra game but I think all this criticism of Soward is pretty unfair.

Latest posts